Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 08:06 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,539,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Im still waiting for much of the world to come thank us for all the good and generous things we have done for them.
Like what? When ever "good and generous things" that have been done are in furtherance of US interests ONLY!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 01:10 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,726,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Like what? When ever "good and generous things" that have been done are in furtherance of US interests ONLY!!!!!!
Well for starters the Marshall Plan was able to rebuild various Western European countries that were devastated from WWII and stopped them from becoming communist and/or fascist dictatorships (same scenario with Japan and South Korea).

Old 03-01-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Well for starters the Marshall Plan was able to rebuild various Western European countries that were devastated from WWII and stopped them from becoming communist and/or fascist dictatorships (same scenario with Japan and South Korea).
Exactly what I said LOL. "In furtherance of US interests". Oh, by the way leave out the "Fascist" dictators. Up until Obama the US state department never met a right wing dictator it didn't like!!!!!!

Old 03-01-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Exactly what I said LOL. "In furtherance of US interests". Oh, by the way leave out the "Fascist" dictators. Up until Obama the US state department never met a right wing dictator it didn't like!!!!!!
So what? You don't think other countries don't have interests they protect, such as China? Why do you think France got involved in Mali when Al-Qaeda insurgents took over the country? Do you think China is just investing and building infrastructure in Africa just because it "feels good" and not because it helps China gain access to raw materials that it needs to support it's economy?

You can argue that there are some detrimental effects sure but there have been some positive gains made by the US involvement even if it was done for selfish reasons.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
So what? You don't think other countries don't have interests they protect, such as China? Why do you think France got involved in Mali when Al-Qaeda insurgents took over the country? Do you think China is just investing and building infrastructure in Africa just because it "feels good" and not because it helps China gain access to raw materials that it needs to support it's economy?

You can argue that there are some detrimental effects sure but there have been some positive gains made by the US involvement even if it was done for selfish reasons.
You miss my point entirely. I'm debunking this idea that the USA does things out of any kind of unselfish interests.

Old 03-01-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You miss my point entirely. I'm debunking this idea that the USA does things out of any kind of unselfish interests.
Try rereading my post again.

Quote:
As an example I am saying that certain events such as the Marshall Plan had a positive effect for Europeans as in France and Germany not having been turned into communist dictatorships or South Korea not being run by the Kim family. While the US might have gotten involved purely for it's own interests in preventing the influence of the communist USSR, you can arguably state that it had a positive effect because people in those countries now have a higher living standard today compared with say Romania or North Korea.

Old 03-01-2014, 02:05 PM

28,896 posts, read 54,007,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,the Usa could apologize to its own citizens like blacks and Natives.
My forebears emigrated to this country after the United States was mostly settled and after the Emancipation Proclamation and roughly 600,000 Americans died to settle the matter of slavery and an entire region of the country was shattered for a century. I did not reach voting age until long after the Civil Rights Act was passed. I have zip to apologize for, thanks.

Old 03-01-2014, 04:53 PM

90 posts, read 123,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
I'm still waiting for Britain to apologize to the U.S. for that American Revolution thing.
They call it a "tax protest" btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3243 View Post
Of course there must be repentance (changing for the better) for any apologies to be effective.
Exactly. An apology means nothing unless you undertake to change your ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Yeah, we are such a terrible country. We should just bring all our service men home from everywhere, sail all our ships back to our own waters, land all our planes on our own land, and just put the rest of the world on ignore......
LOL! Why aren't all those countries more grateful for our bombing campaigns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I have zip to apologize for, thanks.
Gen-u-wine merkin

Old 03-01-2014, 05:06 PM

638 posts, read 619,221 times
lol at the people saying "America acts in self interest". So does every other country on the face of this earth.

Old 03-01-2014, 06:08 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,610,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Well,the Usa could apologize to its own citizens like blacks and Natives.
Again? How many times does an apology need to be made before it becomes pointless?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History