Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 04:13 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

What ethnicity was Abraham, Noah, and Moses? There is actually quite a few figures in the Bible that are pre-exodus, and I am wondering what ethnicity they are. I dont believe they are jewish especially Noah. I have tried looking this up, and it never mentions what ethnicity they are. Who came before Noah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 04:53 PM

1,300 posts, read 960,388 times
None of these men ever existed

Old 03-28-2014, 06:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Both Noah and Abraham were from modern day Iraq, so they would have been Iraqi.

Noah was undoubtedly Ziusdrua, a real person, according to historian Paul Johnson:

Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
History of the Jews[/i]]
Ziusdra was undoubtedly a real person, king of the south Babylonian city of Shuruppak about 2900 BC, in which capacity he figures in the earliest column of the Sumerian king-list.
Moses was much later, appx 1300 BC. By the time Moses came along, the children of Abraham were firmly ensconced in Canaan, later Israel.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM

508 posts, read 663,286 times
Judaism is a religion.

Paul Johnson is someone who made his reputation by "reinterpreting" history. How accurately he did or did not do that may be questionable. The vast majority of his work had little to do with ancient history in the region where these people lived - if they actually lived at all. Ziusdra himself is in fact one of MANY mythical heroes associated with the many, many flood stories that exist. Equating him with Noah and then saying Noah actually existed is rather like equating Winnie the Poo with Yogi Bear as evidence for the existence of Winnie the Poo.

Some other heroes of flood myths:

Utnapishtim
Xisuthrus
Yima
Tumbainot
Manu
Thirumaaran (a personal favorite of mine because what he is revered for is saving as much of the contents of THE LIBRARY as he could carry while swimming)
Atrahasis

There are literally tens of thousands of these flood myths, because every group of people have experienced severe flooding at some time in their history. Because settlements sprout up wherever there is rich farmland; and rich farmland is most easily found in (wait for it) FLOOD PLAINS.

But all issues of historical existence aside - the people you are talking about couldn't be Jewish because, as we started with, Judaism is a religion that did not yet exist.

However they WERE Semitic. Modern Jewish people are still mostly Semitic. There are other people who are also considered Semitic - basically every group of people living in the same regions. So while they could not have been "Jewish", they were (presumably, if we pretend they really existed) the direct ancestors of the Jews. Ethnically the groups were the same in a direct line through history.

One must wonder why it bothers you to think they may have been "Jewish". And btw, Jesus was most definitely a Jew.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I think it was all the same flood from different perspectives. I personally believe the Bible. So from that perspective I believe those men were of middle eastern ethnicity. I've had people ask me if I thought Jesus was white or black. My answer is, not as white as me, not as black as you.
The whole Noah thing intrigues me. If Noah, his 3 sons and their wives were all the people left in the world then we all come from that lineage. So his sons' wives' ethnicity are what interest me!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:34 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,770,556 times
They were Semites, or (depending on how back they really were in time) proto-Semitic.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM

295 posts, read 362,562 times
The Bible was written in Babylon currently modern Iraq, Abraham and Noah both lived in Iraq, and they are Semites.

Jews, Arabs and inhabitants of the Levant are mostly Semites, but heavily mixed with all the conquerors that came later including, Greeks, Romans, Persians, Crusaders, Tatars, Turks, Mongols and others.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:35 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragabnh View Post
The Bible was written in Babylon currently modern Iraq, Abraham and Noah both lived in Iraq, and they are Semites.
You say this as though the 'Bible' is/was a single work written as a whole during a relatively short period of time and in a single location, which is most definitely not the case.

The fact is that the 'Bible' is an assemblage of tales, myths, oral histories, advice, laws, poems, letters, etc. written by a variety of personages over a fairly considerable span of time.

Several hundred years after the time period ascribed to the existence of the alleged 'Christ', a group of men who desired to promote a religion based on this figure assembled these writings from a broader collection. They chose which writings to include so as to promote their views and discarded others which did not.

Generally speaking, it can only be said that it was compiled from works created in the general region surrounding the Mediterranean area, which, as you pointed out, could have included a variety of ethnicities. What one could say with some level of confidence, is that they were almost certainly not blonde-haired, blue-eyed white guys.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:58 AM

295 posts, read 362,562 times
Agreed,

Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,589,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
However they WERE Semitic. Modern Jewish people are still mostly Semitic. There are other people who are also considered Semitic - basically every group of people living in the same regions. So while they could not have been "Jewish", they were (presumably, if we pretend they really existed) the direct ancestors of the Jews. Ethnically the groups were the same in a direct line through history.

One must wonder why it bothers you to think they may have been "Jewish". And btw, Jesus was most definitely a Jew.
Jesus's ancestry on his mother's side, and step-father's side was Hebrew/Israelite.
He was raised among the lost tribes to the north in Galilee which was not in Judea.
All Biblical and historical texts refer to "Jews" as "Judeans", named for just one of the
12 Tribes of Israel, that of Judah. At the time, the tribes of Benjamin and Judah were
the ones in power in Judea, the other "lost 10" had already dispersed. Hundreds of years
after the fall of Jerusalem, Judaism as a religion was chosen to be the state religion by King Bulan
of Khazaria, a south Asian kingdom. This is why, for example, Benjamin Franklin called modern
Jews "asiatics". Ashkenazi and Khazarian "jews" such as the vast majority of those living in
Europe, "Israel", and America today are Sure, there are some blood-tied "jews" such as a portion
of the Sephardic who are ethnically ancient Israeli, but the ancient ethnic Israelis spread far and wide,
far away from Judea proper, some were Scythians who crossed the Caucasus
Mountain range into Europe. Jesus said in the last days there would be false "judeans"
living in the Holy Land, such as is occurring now. Concerning the photo above,
there is more traditional evidence to support photo A, than B, which A is based
upon tradition from early Christianity, whereas B is a recent computer-generated
trifle constructed by assumptive data based on false geneaological constructs.

DNA Science and the Jewish Bloodline! Ashkenazi Khazars (90+% of Modern Jewry) are NOT Real Jews! « Socio-Economics History Blog
The Invention of the Jewish People
Arthur Koestler - The Thirteenth Tribe - Free PDF!
Khazaria.com - History of Jewish Khazars, Khazar Turk, Khazarian Jews
Israelite Origin of the Scythians
(KHAZARS)Tall Armenian Tale: The Other Side of the Falsified Genocide
Amazon.com: The Jews of Khazaria (9780742549821): Kevin Alan Brook: Books
Benjamin Freedman: Freedman: "Jesus was not a Jew"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History