Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 AM

12,064 posts, read 8,467,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post

/Photography was expensive./
Yet another reason to have a sober face - thinking about the photographer's bill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 08:36 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,752,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
federal employees for official identification badges are now required to NOT smile on ID photos. All federal employee photo IDs are PROHIBITED from having smiling photos
Smiling messes with facial recognition software.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:43 AM

10,216 posts, read 17,916,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Smiling photos are so rare in the earliest photography because you had to hold absolutely. still. for. a. very. long. time. or the picture would come out super blurry. It's much harder to hold a smile for 10 minutes without twitching than it is a solemn face. They even used to prop themselves up with special stands so their heads wouldn't move, and so they wouldn't start to list to port or starboard without noticing.
Please go back and read my responses - I already explained in detail why this is a big myth and not true for the most part.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
George Eastman marketed his first silver emulsion film in 1885, though a short exposure photo that early would have taken a LOT of light and a wide aperture lens.
I detailed the introduction of this in my blog, but film wasn't the only method of photography in 1885. There were still other methods in use at the time which allowed for the shorter exposures. As one of my examples showed, it was a photo of an infant from around 1889 - babies don't hold still for more than a second, they're always moving their head, their arms, legs, etc, so the exposure time must have been very short in order to capture her without any motion blurs. Certainly, anything fast enough to capture an infant without moving is fast enough to capture a smile from an adult.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:44 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,935,052 times
Another vote for "that was the style back then".

You still see some of that today.

Take a look at the "roster shots" of any current-day HS football team. I doubt you'll see very many smiling mugs.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,856,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Another vote for "that was the style back then".

You still see some of that today.

Take a look at the "roster shots" of any current-day HS football team. I doubt you'll see very many smiling mugs.
Cue the "Give Me Your War Face" coach. Yeah, had that type to when in HS.

I thought daguerrotypes[sic] required a lenghtly exposure time hence blurred images on occasion.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:24 AM

8,452 posts, read 15,068,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMan86 View Post
If you look at photos from the 19th century and even early 20th it seems a great deal of the time the people in them are not smiling or even look downright depressed!
Just look at contemporary portrait (not paparazzi) photos of rock bands, or musicians generally---they're serious as morticians.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:31 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,406,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Here's some examples from my own collection - these were probably taken around 1906-1910. Some are blurry because the exposure times could still allow for camera shake sometimes:

This one dates to about 1888-1889 - while the baby isn't really smiling, in order to capture a baby this young without any blurring from movements, the exposure time must have been measured in fractions of a second:
The baby may not be alive. It sounds morbid now, but many children who died were photographed after death. I'm not saying this is the case in that photograph.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-mortem_photography

Old 08-01-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
The baby may not be alive. It sounds morbid now, but many children who died were photographed after death. I'm not saying this is the case in that photograph.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-mortem_photography
The baby is most certainly alive since she is my great grandmother. Also, her eyes are too bright and alive, if you ask me. I've seen post-mortem photos and this is not one. In my experience, there is almost always something "off" about post-mortem photos - ie, eyes are closed, or unfocused, or the head is lolling to one side a little bit. Yes, they sometimes had devices to help prop them up but they weren't very successful it making someone actually look alive. This child is clearly alive.

I have other examples of young children, too young to hold still for more than a few seconds.

This is the same child, my great grandmother, so probably ca. 1892:

And this one is of her mother, my 2nd great grandmother, so this is from about 1867 - she can't be more than about 5 years old maybe? Have you ever asked a 5 year old to stand perfectly still for more than a few seconds?

Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,341,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
This is a big myth - by the late 19th century, exposure times were already measured in fractions of a second in optimal lighting conditions - in lower light, only a matter of a few seconds.
Trying to shoot portraits as shutter speeds less that 1/60 are going to be problematic because even that speed isn't sufficient to fix even a slightly moving subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History