Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Violent crime in Australia was already on the decline before the laws were changed. Australia never had high levels of violent crime.
Provide evidence of your assertion. Otherwise, it is considered to be a contradictory statement that attempts to deny the results of Australia's evasive action.

And regardless of that nation's crime situation before that time and after, we HAVE a problem in this country. Or perhaps you'd like to publicly deny that too?

I don't usually play the bully, and again, I am a 2nd amendment supporter and own firearms myself, but this continual head in the sand attitude in America is tired and old and dangerous. Just like many of it's "citizens".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,817,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Violent crime in Australia was already on the decline before the laws were changed. Australia never had high levels of violent crime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
Provide evidence of your assertion. Otherwise, it is considered to be a contradictory statement that attempts to deny the results of Australia's evasive action.
Here's the data - not filtered through John Lott or the NRA but straight from the Australian government (specifically, the Australian Bureau of Statistics).
Victims of violent crime (rate per 100,000)

The murder rate was static before the bans that were implemented in the wake of the Port Arthur Massacre in 1996. The rate has since declined by about 30%. Of course, gun orthodoxy holds the opposite, that the rate will increase when guns are restricted.

The sexual assault rate was on the rise before the ban, continued to rise for a number of years afterward, and then began a gradual decline about a decade ago - though it is still higher than it was at the time of the ban.

The armed robbery rate was static pre-ban. Post-ban it rose for a time, and then began a major decline to the point where it is now lower than it was at the time of the ban. The same trend holds for unarmed robbery.

Kidnapping/abduction was declining, then rose, and has now declined again. It's about where it was at the time of the ban.

The effects of the ban? Beats me. I'm just putting the information out there since certain claims are being made that don't actually comport with the data.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:38 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,569,088 times
Thank you for the data.

Old 06-19-2016, 12:14 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post

And regardless of that nation's crime situation before that time and after, we HAVE a problem in this country. Or perhaps you'd like to publicly deny that too?

I don't usually play the bully, and again, I am a 2nd amendment supporter and own firearms myself, but this continual head in the sand attitude in America is tired and old and dangerous. Just like many of it's "citizens".
You are correct that we have a problem, but the problem isn't guns. The problem is society in general.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:48 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
The first one I remember was Charles Whitman '66. That was the first time I heard the word "sniper". Then Michael Soles '76 and Patrick Sherrill, '86, and so forth and so forth. I remember McDonald's in California, I remember the 1978 Oklahoma Sirloin Stockade killings, which was a crime/killing spree that started at a McDonald's in Alabama. I'm not positive, but I think the movie Natural Born Killers was based on the Sirloin Stockade spree. The killer was executed, as well he should have been.

There have been several school mass killings.

Mass killings aren't all that new, but with wall-to-wall so-called news coverage these days, they get unlimited attention.

Oh, and I forgot: The first one I heard of and was in awe of was Charles Starkweather.

Last edited by MyNameIsBellaMia; 06-19-2016 at 03:12 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 05:40 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
The first one I remember was Charles Whitman '66. That was the first time I heard the word "sniper". Then Michael Soles '76 and Patrick Sherrill, '86, and so forth and so forth. I remember McDonald's in California, I remember the 1978 Oklahoma Sirloin Stockade killings, which was a crime/killing spree that started at a McDonald's in Alabama. I'm not positive, but I think the movie Natural Born Killers was based on the Sirloin Stockade spree. The killer was executed, as well he should have been.

Mass killings aren't all that new, but with wall-to-wall so-called news coverage these days, they get unlimited attention.

Oh, and I forgot: The first one I heard of and was in awe of was Charles Starkweather.

I was a summer school student at the University of Texas in 1966 and was present next to the campus (1 block from the UT Tower) when Whitman did his evil work.
Watched almost all 1.5 hours of the shootout while crouched behind a car, and heard lots of rifle fire from students in their adjacent dorms & apartments shooting back at him to keep him pinned down enough which undoubtedly saved many more lives. Prior to the reaction fire, Whitman had been clearly leaning over the stone parapet picking off unsuspecting victims hundreds of yards away at his leisure.

I'm glad our legislature finally got around to legalizing concealed carry on & in public college campuses.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:08 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
I was a summer school student at the University of Texas in 1966 and was present next to the campus (1 block from the UT Tower) when Whitman did his evil work.
Watched almost all 1.5 hours of the shootout while crouched behind a car, and heard lots of rifle fire from students in their adjacent dorms & apartments shooting back at him to keep him pinned down enough which undoubtedly saved many more lives. Prior to the reaction fire, Whitman had been clearly leaning over the stone parapet picking off unsuspecting victims hundreds of yards away at his leisure.

I'm glad our legislature finally got around to legalizing concealed carry on & in public college campuses.
Sounds sort of like, dare I say, a militia action

Old 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Sounds sort of like, dare I say, a militia action
Not really. Just defensive actions taken on the spur of the moment by normal young men, students for the most part, who obviously saved many more lives.

Similar in some ways to the Korean/American merchants defending their businesses in the race riots out in L.A. Except the Korean/Americans had more thugs to deal with.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 PM

862 posts, read 1,197,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post

Very true !! Other than a few of the high profile ones like the McDonalds massacre, Whitman and maybe even Starkweather and of course Jonestown ( Jim Jones ) in the days before the all news channels if a mass murder took place usually it was big news more/less only in the region where the murders had taken place. I remember back in the late 70s when an entire family was gunned down in Baltimore. Made news in Baltimore & DC of course and probably in Philadelphia & Harrisburg/Lancaster/York, Pennsylvania as well but Pittsburgh ?? Buffalo ?? Charlotte ?? Phoenix ?? Probably not on their local TV news and if the story did end up being in their local newspapers odds are the story was buried in the back probably next to "Hints with Heloise" or "Dear Abby". Same thing with the Indianapolis Burger Chef murders back in 1978. My cousin was an assistant manager of a Burger Chef in Virginia at the time and he knew nothing about what happened in Indianapolis since Indy wasn't exactly near Virginia the local media didn't report on the shootings at all. Actually I was the one who told my cousin about what had happened because I heard about it on Indy's WIBC radio whose signal at the time would come into Virginia late at night. If I weren't into DX'ing in those days I wouldn't have known about those murders either.

Last edited by tantan1968; 06-20-2016 at 08:02 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 09:17 PM

646 posts, read 465,283 times
I'd never heard of this. Thanks for posting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History