Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:40 PM

646 posts, read 465,664 times

Advertisements

I have an interest in the use of all kinds of animals during wartime.

Dogs and horses have always fascinated me the most.

Today I was wondering if there are any armies out there who still use horses? I am not talking 3rd world countries and I am not talking about using them for ceremonies or transport but more of a "modern cavalry" if you well.

Also, if you have any good sources on animals used in war, I'd be delighted to have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 10:26 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times
I remembered an episode of the old Combat series where they used pigeons to deliver messages. Here are a couple of sites that can give you info on the use of pigeons during war.

Pigeons of War - America in WWII magazine

Honoured: the WW1 pigeons who earned their wings - Telegraph

Old 07-26-2016, 10:55 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
New horsepower for war zones: Special Forces saddle up

Secret Mission: The Horse Soldiers of 9-11 | Military.com

Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
There is one NATO country which still utilises horses for transport, and that country is Albania.

For "war horses", the most common one is probably the Leopard 2A4/5/6 which is in use in many countries. Another "war horse" would be the BMP-2, also used by numerous countries.

Sir Nils Olav is a colonel in the Norwegian Royal Guard, now stationed in Edinburgh Zoo. Here he inspects the Guard:

Old 07-27-2016, 10:06 AM

19,054 posts, read 27,627,799 times
Dogs were - unfortunately - very successfully used during WWII by Red Army as tank destroyers and mine sweeps.
Many countries trained dolphins for warfare. Either as mine carriers or scouts.
You are not interested in 3rd world countries but, as most warfare right now is actually in them, there are many areas where even the best ATV won't go. Mountains, jungles, swamps, etc. Horse, mule, donkey and camel are still irreplaceable for those areas.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Dogs were - unfortunately - very successfully used during WWII by Red Army as tank destroyers and mine sweeps.
That's an urban legend. Dogs as tank destroyers were a total disaster in WWII. Though well trained, they were afraid of the moving tanks, and ran back to their owners, detonating their time-fused bombs in their own trenches. This concept was quickly abandoned.

As minesweepers the dogs were equally useless. A four-legged dog's weight per m2 was insufficient to trigger the mines which were designed to implode with the weight per m2 of a human. So the Soviets used penal battalions to clear minefields.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:25 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,306,938 times
The movie "MAX" is about a war dog, IIRC.

ETA: Yep.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:01 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
I have an interest in the use of all kinds of animals during wartime.

Dogs and horses have always fascinated me the most.

Today I was wondering if there are any armies out there who still use horses? I am not talking 3rd world countries and I am not talking about using them for ceremonies or transport but more of a "modern cavalry" if you well.

Also, if you have any good sources on animals used in war, I'd be delighted to have them.
There were many armies who continued to use cavalry post-WW2 in the role of a dragoon force (basically mounted infantry, not 'cavalry' per se). Many European countries used them heavily in the various colonial wars in Africa during the 60's and 70's.

Active horse regiments were popular in South America well into the 1990's, especially given the extremely difficult terrain.

As others mentioned, US special forces have made use of horses in their various actions in modern times.

However, there are two non-3rd world armies that maintain cavalry units.

The 61st Cavalry Division of the Indian Army is completely non-mechanized. While primarily dedicated to ceremonial duties, if activated, they go to war on horseback. They were last deployed during the 1971 Indo-Pakistani War where they undertook mounted patrols on the border regions. The fact that they can be activated as horse cavalry separates them from units like the Household Cavalry which are purely ceremonial.

The Chinese PLA maintains cavalry squadrons for border work and operations in rugged terrain. These are full on modern mounted dragoons. Mongolia maintains similar units as well.

Mongolian cavalry photos:
[

Chinese cavalary photos:
The last People's Liberation Army Cavalry ( many pics ))

Old 07-27-2016, 01:07 PM

The Separate Special Battalions 1-4 of Finland are all fully horse/dog/cat/rabbit/foot powered, but they need helicopters or airplanes to drop them behind the enemy lines first, so I guess that doesn't count.

Interesting to learn that some armies still uses horses as a 'fighting vehicle'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History