Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times

Advertisements

One of my grandfathers was a German immigrant. The family came over in 1904 to Minnesota. By WWI he was married & living in Michigan. He & his youngest brother had been put in school when they came over to learn English, to teach the family. He taught himself to speak with an American accent to avoid the anti-German sentiment during WWI. I was told that the anti-German sentiment was also strong during WWII & he was concerned about being taken away. When asked, he always said that he was born in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:07 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,393,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
When I lived in the upper Midwest and Amish started moving in I thought they spoke German as well until someone told me it was Pennsylvania Dutch. In the early 2,000's.

Pennsylvania Dutch (Deutch) is a dialect of low German. Evidently, there are differences between dialect low German and standard German. One time a German woman translated for my company for some Mennonite customers. She said she could understand the context of what they were saying, but a lot of words were different.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:30 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Low German?

Old 10-15-2016, 09:22 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,305,272 times
Quote:
Low German?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_German_languages

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_German

I don't advocate wikipedia as a source but it might help you a little to do some background reading on German dialects. The Pennsylvania Dutch are the largest Low German-speaking population outside of Germany itself.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:55 AM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
I have always enjoyed the movies about WWII. Mostly made from 41 thru the mid 50's. James Cagney played in some good ones, espionage behind enemy lines kind of movies. The movies here always shows Americans winning against the Germans. Yes we won the war, but lots of raids were lost by us. I always wondered, the war movies made in and shown in Germany, always portrayed them in a winning light.

Old 10-15-2016, 10:13 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,465,509 times
unless they spoke with a German accent, I think most of the people of German ancestry just blended in as Americans

people of asian ancestry that looked Japanese would have been more easily targeted since they didnt blend in as easily

many asians had to wear a badge that said NOT Japanese or said Chinese

since they were allies at the time

Old 10-15-2016, 10:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Low German?
Platt Deutsche

My grandfather did not speak High German before coming to the US. In the area that he came from, the average person did not learn High German until after WWII.

I visited the area that he came from in the 90s. At that time there were still elderly people who did not speak High German. Some of them had picked up some American English because of the military bases in the area.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:04 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,355,000 times
During WWI in Flat River, Missouri my Mother experienced first hand the mindless prejudice against citizens of German descent. My Grandpa was a 4th generation removed from Germany, Grandma was an 8th generation Acadian French descendant.
When the US declared war on Germany in 1917, the locals started running the German families out of town. My mom's family was allowed to stay for two reasons - 1) Grandma was from an old French family and 2) Grandpa was the only mechanic who knew how to keep the machinery running in the big lead mine.
Nonetheless, my mom's friends all turned on her, calling her the "bad names" of the day ("Kaiser Kid", Heinie, Kraut, etc.), was spit on, and ostracized for the most part. After Armistice Day, they all acted like nothing had happened and let her rejoin their crowd. Mom never forgot though.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
unless they spoke with a German accent, I think most of the people of German ancestry just blended in as Americans

people of asian ancestry that looked Japanese would have been more easily targeted since they didnt blend in as easily

many asians had to wear a badge that said NOT Japanese or said Chinese

since they were allies at the time
Furthermore, there were large parts of the US which were dominated by German-Americans.

If German-Americans had been interned that would have left Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Milwaukee empty....

Old 10-21-2016, 11:07 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
When I lived in the upper Midwest and Amish started moving in I thought they spoke German as well until someone told me it was Pennsylvania Dutch. In the early 2,000's.
The term "Pennsylvania Dutch" is a misnomer -- a corruption of "Deutsch" or "Deutschland" (German or Germany). But the German diaspora was spread over many years and was very diverse. The Mennonites and their Amish cousins were very different from the Prussians, Hessians and Saxons, many of whom came after the failed revolution of 1848. And the dialects were different -- in the same way that the Spanish used in California differs somewhat from the idioma of the East Coast.

"Wie Gehts?" -- literally "How's it going?" Pottsville's John O'Hara had a comical character named Conrad "Wie Gehts" Yates in one of his novels.

Nescopeck, PA, (pop 2000) where I grew up, was at one time about 80 percent German-surnamed -- an enclave of sorts. But these were mostly better-assimilated East Germans. Pennsylvania was so heavily Germanic-influenced that state documents were required to be printed in both German and English until sometime in the mid-Nineteenth Century.

My Dad had a story about tensions in his thrown-together infantry company composed entirely of draftees during the Second World War. There were tensions, but they were mostly between soldiers with a rural or small-town background (often Southerners and usually Protestant) vs. mostly Catholic and Jewish urbanites. As a descendant, I'm very glad that that the war ended before that company could see combat.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-21-2016 at 11:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History