Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 08:14 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times

Advertisements

Few know it but Texas has a large German population, and during WWII German-Americans were interred in Crystal City, TX. right along side the Japanese and Italians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGPF3WzMso
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 08:36 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,393,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
There were tensions, but they were mostly between soldiers with a rural or small-town background (often Southerners and usually Protestant) vs. mostly Catholic and Jewish urbanites. As a descendant, I'm very glad that that the war ended before that company could see combat.
The British were fanatic about "regimentalizing" both conscripts and professional troops. There were no thrown together companies. Professional troops had served in the same battalion for most of their careers. Conscripts were placed in battalions by ethnicity or raised from the same collection of rural villages or urban areas.

Thus a British conscript served nearly exclusively with men who shared his language (rural welsh and some highland scots), or his accent, life experiences and usually his religion etc.

Last edited by Cryptic; 10-22-2016 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-23-2016, 07:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,395,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Few know it but Texas has a large German population, and during WWII German-Americans were interred in Crystal City, TX. right along side the Japanese and Italians.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJGPF3WzMso
My family was German and in Texas at the time but luckily they were not interred.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:26 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,797,563 times
My parents were German. They left Germany after WWI, met in the US and married here. My father went in the army in WWII, but not to Europe. He was in the Philippines. My mother worked in the Navy parachute loft in San Diego. (I think WWII was a closer call than many think. My father was in his mid-30's when he went in. And he became a sergeant. My father was a good man but he never struck me as having sergeant qualities.)

My uncle, my mother's brother, might have been a different story. He was younger than my father, a better leader of men. Yet he was never drafted. It could be that they knew something about him and doubted his loyalty. I wouldn't interpret this as anti-German sentiment, rather as caution.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:10 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
The 40s? Try the 80s.

I remember when some kids on the schoolyard found out I was half German. My new nickname was 'Hitler', I got my as5 handed to me a few times and there was a large swath of the school grounds I had to avoid unless I wanted further beatdowns.

Today it does seem to be very different. Although the Nazi era is not forgotten, it seems that Germany's current reputation is of being a very enlightened society.

Old 10-24-2016, 02:13 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,344 times
I found it most interesting in talking to a native local historical society docent of Germanic heritage in Fredericksburg, TX a couple of years ago that locals of proudly German descent during WWII did not suffer internment similar to those of Japanese descent during WWII. Instead, they were instructed to desist with their German language-only school instruction and publications, and other overtly pro- Germanic patriotic observances.

She informed me that many proudly mostly spoke only German up into the 1970's.

Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,373,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The 40s? Try the 80s.

I remember when some kids on the schoolyard found out I was half German. My new nickname was 'Hitler', I got my as5 handed to me a few times and there was a large swath of the school grounds I had to avoid unless I wanted further beatdowns.

Today it does seem to be very different. Although the Nazi era is not forgotten, it seems that Germany's current reputation is of being a very enlightened society.
being from wisconsin, i cant relate. At all.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:01 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,489,236 times
Here in Louisville many streets with German names were renamed with "American" names.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:15 AM

748 posts, read 840,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Furthermore, there were large parts of the US which were dominated by German-Americans.

If German-Americans had been interned that would have left Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and Milwaukee empty....

Milwaukee? At that time Milwaukee had a large percentage of Polish, Italian, Irish and African-American. Emptying the city from those with German descent would only have filled the void with any others in a very short time.

Old 10-28-2016, 07:36 AM

748 posts, read 840,979 times
Just to add that I cannot see the anti-German resentment ending in the US anytime soon. I am a millennial that is an avid reader of the history of the World Wars. The more I learn and understand what they did to the US and the world, the more disgusted I am with their people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History