Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:16 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
What? When was this? The Stone Age?

Featured in our series "what definitely not to say to a lady".
Actually, my dear Finnish friend, the schools in the USA are notoriously the last to receive funds to bring the facilities and their technology out of the Stone Age. I realize this flies in the face of the excellence the Finnish school system is recognized for. The only thing worse than the dilapidated buildings and outdated tech are the tenured dinosaurs who refuse to retire, thus holding up the natural progression to younger generations that other sectors experience.

Ask me more about education in America...I'll be here all week. Try the chicken. 😉
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 04:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:

Featured in our series "what definitely not to say to a lady".
I know I am old, but "STONE AGE"??
When I was in High School I typed mimeograph stencils and made copies. Each stencil, IIRC, was good for 100 to 200 copies, maybe more if it didn't tear.
We also used "Ditto Machines" when we only needed a few copies. Those were the machines that had the wonderful smelling solvent. IIRC, they were only good for about 50 copies, then you had to re-type the "master" and start over

Old 11-18-2017, 06:20 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Someone on another thread here in the history forum referenced TV dinners in passing.

While there are microwavable meals, when was the last time anyone saw a TV dinner in an actual aluminum foil tray?

Old 11-18-2017, 07:45 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Someone on another thread here in the history forum referenced TV dinners in passing.

While there are microwavable meals, when was the last time anyone saw a TV dinner in an actual aluminum foil tray?
Heat and eat meals go in microwaves now, that aluminum tray meal was warmed in a conventional oven back in the seventies. Can't put metals in the microwave.

I remember when my mom got a coupon for these aluminum tray meals when I was a young girl, and when she served me one, the 'dessert,' which was some sort of apple cinnamon concoction, was touching the gravy from the meat-like entrée, despite the partitions intended to keep them separated. Blhurgh, I would not like to have another.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:07 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,014,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is funny this thread is still going on and people are still confusing "obsolete" with "non-existent."

Just because something is still around or still made and used does not mean it is not obsolete. Heck they still make flip phones and people still use them. It is hard to argue they are not obsolete.

It is also amusing to read through. No matter what items anyone points out are obsolete, someone comes along and claims they are not, even things that are obviously obsolete.

What is not obsolete? Arguing just to argue, for no purpose and with no point.

Its actually very easy to argue that they aren't obsolete. They are still made and still used.

adjective
1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.

2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.

3. (of a linguistic form) no longer in use, especially, out of use for at least the past century. Compare archaic.

4. effaced by wearing down or away.

5.Biology. imperfectly developed or rudimentary in comparison with the corresponding character in other individuals, as of the opposite sex or of a related species.

verb (used with object), obsoleted, obsoleting. 6. to make obsolete by replacing with something newer or better; antiquate: Automation has obsoleted many factory workers.

Even if you are going with the Verb, youd have to say that every smart phone, except for the current model is obsolete.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Heat and eat meals go in microwaves now, that aluminum tray meal was warmed in a conventional oven back in the seventies. Can't put metals in the microwave.
Yes, I knew that. I was trying to point out that they are no longer called TV dinners nor do they come in aluminum, for the reasons you mentioned.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:20 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
I remember mimeographs in school into the early 80s. I loved the smell.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:59 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Actually, my dear Finnish friend, the schools in the USA are notoriously the last to receive funds to bring the facilities and their technology out of the Stone Age. I realize this flies in the face of the excellence the Finnish school system is recognized for. The only thing worse than the dilapidated buildings and outdated tech are the tenured dinosaurs who refuse to retire, thus holding up the natural progression to younger generations that other sectors experience.

Ask me more about education in America...I'll be here all week. Try the chicken. 😉
The kids today get tablets here on 4th grade. And 7th graders get laptops. Free to use but their parents are responsible for all malfunctions.

No, I won't test you further. I already feared that I was over the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I know I am old, but "STONE AGE"??
When I was in High School I typed mimeograph stencils and made copies. Each stencil, IIRC, was good for 100 to 200 copies, maybe more if it didn't tear.
We also used "Ditto Machines" when we only needed a few copies. Those were the machines that had the wonderful smelling solvent. IIRC, they were only good for about 50 copies, then you had to re-type the "master" and start over
I'm 35, so I've only seen mimeographs in museums. Practically stone age machinery.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:17 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It is funny this thread is still going on and people are still confusing "obsolete" with "non-existent."

Just because something is still around or still made and used does not mean it is not obsolete. Heck they still make flip phones and people still use them. It is hard to argue they are not obsolete.
You're the one that's confused. A flip phone is not obsolete because it can still function as originally intended, is still manufactured, bought and sold.

Quote:
Nope, I used one as late as 1981, my last year of college.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:34 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
My first wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History