Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,406,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
This is a genuine question - are there some applications where a CRT is superior to the other technologies used for displays?
CRT's take up more room, use more power, and deliver less resolution than current LCD technologies. On top of that, there was some indication that the deflection coils used in CRTs might possibly be emitting small amounts of stray X-Ray radiation and that because of this it wasn't advisable to sit behind the back of a CRT - a warning that was ignored in many a corporate cube farm.

Ever since David Letterman stopped throwing things off the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater there really isn't any application that I can think of where CRTs are superior to the other video display technologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
CRT's take up more room, use more power, and deliver less resolution than current LCD technologies. On top of that, there was some indication that the deflection coils used in CRTs might possibly be emitting small amounts of stray X-Ray radiation and that because of this it wasn't advisable to sit behind the back of a CRT - a warning that was ignored in many a corporate cube farm.

Ever since David Letterman stopped throwing things off the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater there really isn't any application that I can think of where CRTs are superior to the other video display technologies.
Not for the usual applications, I understand; just wondering if there were certain technical situations where a CRT would have advantages (I don't know what they would be).

Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,251,057 times
I never liked the taste of microwaved pastries. They don't turn out right. I'd rather get said pie in an aluminum pan and BAKE it. The pastry gets fluffy and done that way.

The last microwave died from unknown causes, but sometimes my power is wonky. I moved it out of the way into the dead electonic pile and later got a nuwave stovetop burner, and love that. Haven't used the stove/stove top since. And its fast and the food cooks like its supposed to.

Old 12-07-2017, 12:49 AM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
Quote:
Now we record shows on our DVR's which go away over time and are never really "ours".

Depends if you have a real DVR (i.e. a "media-center" PC with Linux) that doesn't phone home regularly to the mother ship or a fake DVR that does (i.e. TIVO, DBS/wired cable packages). If it's the latter then yes, your point applies. Hell on my satellite receiver I can capture MPEG2 program streams to an external USB2 disk then put them into the computer and play them, write them to DVDR/CDR, upload them to Youtube, tear them apart, whatever. It's a off-the-shelf Viewsat (pretty old) free to air/in the clear receiver so it's not tied down to any supporting corporate infrastructure though with the appropriate CAM (descrambler) cartridge and smart card it could be used to receive pay packages like DISH though I've never tried it.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
I'm willing to bet they don't make those plastic color screens for black and white television sets anymore.
Back in the 60s when they started broadcasting in color they would always brag " Now In Color " or " Brought To You In Living Color " before certain television shows. I remember my brother and I monkeying with all the knobs on our little black and white set trying to get color. One day we were about to take the back off the set and the old man hollered, " What the hell are you doing?" We told him there was something wrong with the tv because we weren't getting any color and he told us we needed a color television and that they were expensive.
Later that year he brought home one of those plastic covers that snapped onto the front of the tv. It was multi-tinted with blue at the top to represent the sky and I think green at the bottom to represent grass. We only used it a couple of weeks because it didn't look right and shoved it in the closet where it stayed for years until my brother cut it up to make a visor for his motorcycle helmet.
The funny thing is most of the stuff I watch today are old black and white movies and television shows.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:36 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Umbrellas
Newspapers
Walkmans
Video Cassette Tapes
What makes an umbrella or newspaper obsolete unless you like to stand in the rain and beat the dog with your shoe!

Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM

3,320 posts, read 4,128,224 times
The one thing CRT's are still better at, response time. LCD response times are in the low milli seconds, 2 to 8 ms response time. A CRT response time is around 1 nanosecond. For gaming and fast action sports, a high resolution CRT is better. They did make high resolution CRT sets for a short time, and of course, France had high res TV going back to 1948, they used over 800 scan lines compared to our 480 lines in the US. It's the weight that makes the CRT obsolete, and they don't age well. The tube gets "soft" after 7 to 10 years of heavy use, and the color convergence settings can get out of whack too, and if you've ever changed a CRT tube in a TV set (I've done several of them in the 80's), those convergence settings can be a real pain, hard to get it perfect at the corners.

I had one of these screen magnifiers in the 80's, it made a 19 inch set look like a 32, same concept used for 90's game boys. They worked good so long as you are not watching at an angle, must look straight on. They still make these, lol.

Nothing wrong with flip phones, so long as they are 3G or better, they fit in your pocket better, they are more rugged, mine has a louder speaker than most any smart phone does, my Rugby 2 has mirco SD card and can hold thousands of songs. I have a holder for it on my bicycle and use it for bike rides, it has fallen many times, once time the battery cover popped off and battery came out, went back and found the lid, phone, and battery, put it back together and it powered right up, lol. Still works, bought another one for a backup, all I have to do is change the SIM card. It only costs 10 bucks a month for my 250 min per month plan on Pure Talk USA. I love the cheapness, and I occasionally text with it too, and it has a nice 2 mega pixel camera as well, they really made some good stuff back in 2010, Windows 7 anyone?

Just wanted to add, tubes are still used in the medical field with X Ray machines, some imaging/scanning equipment, electron microscopes, the magnetron in a microwave oven is a tube, radar transmitters use a tube to output the signal. Some musicians also prefer the sound of tube amplifiers vs solid state or digital, as they sound unique.

Last edited by mofford; 12-07-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 12-12-2017, 07:14 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,314,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

Unless people stop having runny noses, handkerchiefs aren't obsolete either. You do realize that lots of people use regular handkerchiefs (white, cotton) for blowing the nose, right ? Not the colored kind in your outside suit coat pocket; the plain kind in your back pants pocket.
I don't. I can't think of the last time I saw a handkerchief being used beyond my father, and he probably stopped using them over 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History