Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2018, 10:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times

Advertisements

There have been a bunch of them -- but the more I think about it, I'm going with --

"The Civil War Was Necessary To End Slavery".... and going along with that - "Lincoln Was a Great President".

Slavery would eventually have gone away on its own without the awful numbers of casualties. We probably should have just let the South secede.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 01:51 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,233,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Left vague on purpose, as I do not exactly known what the greatest lie is.

Is it slavery? Moon landing? The cover-up of genocide on Native Americans, then using their names for everything a large Cheesequake etc?

Discuss.

Marxist economics.

Old 11-24-2018, 02:19 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
There have been a bunch of them -- but the more I think about it, I'm going with --

"The Civil War Was Necessary To End Slavery".... and going along with that - "Lincoln Was a Great President".

Slavery would eventually have gone away on its own without the awful numbers of casualties. We probably should have just let the South secede.
1) The Civil War was fought to prevent the South from seceding (which it did, by its own admission, so that it could perpetuate slavery).

2) Lincoln was a great President. Period.

3) The casualties were worth both preserving the Union and the subsequent ending of slavery which that enabled, but your preference for seeing the Union permanently sundered and millions of enslaved continued to be enslaved and worked to death and raped and whipped and whatnot for a few more decades, just because, is duly noted.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:08 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times

As to the above-seen image added into his/her posting by SWFL_Native (posting # 18, from 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM):

You know what's interesting? So often, when political conservative types (who often tout their Christianity oh so stridently and proudly) critique the liberal and left-of-center spectrum, they state what they deem to be a perjorative about them, saying "Those bleeding-heart liberals!!!".

And yet, I would think, if you are truly a believing and faithful Christian, it would appear that you MUST exemplify a so-called "bleeding heart" as a central part of your thinking (as this common visual image of Jesus Christ conveys, such as that which you inserted into your posting that I am responding to). For if you are NOT one who doesn't have a so-called "bleeding heart" as a foundational part of your thinking, then do you really have a valid basis and right to call yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ???

Not saying here that I myself possess the definitive correct viewpoint as to what should constitute being a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ. Just offering this up here as "food-for-thought".

Old 11-24-2018, 03:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
Moon landing?
They happened for sure. That is not in question. However it appears they staged shots in with actual real shots from the Moon to keep the TV audiences rolling. It was the TV age, so pictures mattered. If not enough are coming back from the Moon from a few guys, then they would just simulate what they were doing. The men on the moon were primarily interested in staying alive, returning to earth and performing their prime tasks, not being film cameramen. Close scrutiny of some of the moon shots lays them out to be highly suspect. Simulating the moon men did no harm.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:22 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,572,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post

As to the above-seen image added into his/her posting by SWFL_Native (posting # 18, from 04-21-2017, 02:59 PM):

You know what's interesting? So often, when political conservative types (who often tout their Christianity oh so stridently and proudly) critique the liberal and left-of-center spectrum, they state what they deem to be a perjorative about them, saying "Those bleeding-heart liberals!!!".

And yet, I would think, if you are truly a believing and faithful Christian, it would appear that you MUST exemplify a so-called "bleeding heart" as a central part of your thinking (as this common visual image of Jesus Christ conveys, such as that which you inserted into your posting that I am responding to). For if you are NOT one who doesn't have a so-called "bleeding heart" as a foundational part of your thinking, then do you really have a valid basis and right to call yourself a disciple of Jesus Christ???

Not saying here that I myself possess the definitive correct viewpoint as to what should constitute being a disciple and follower of Jesus Christ. Just offering this up here as "food-for-thought".

I think a great lie of history is that Jesus did not look like that...

Old 11-24-2018, 05:39 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,412,268 times
Quote:
I think a great lie of history is that Jesus did not look like that...
How would any of us truly know what Jesus looked like . . . or even if he was an actual historical character that actually existed (rather than a partially or fully invented character)? They didn't have the science of photography back then (that was invented in the 1820s) and we must all admit, if we are truly intellectually honest, that peoples back then were prone to mixing truths with part-truths with concocted fictions or fanciful thinking with superstitious thinking with <etc. etc. etc.> (and so on and so on). You get what I'm trying to say, I'm sure. People were often enough prone to stating what they "believed" was true and would state it as absolute undeniable fact or dogma.

And even if there WAS, in fact, an actual historical character (a rabbi or holy man wandering preacher-type) who went by the name of "Yeshua" or "Jesus", was this historical character "God in flesh form" and do any of the many many many narratives of the many many many Bible versions available to all of us actually accurately describe this purportedly historical real character? Is there even such a thing as "God" to then be the flesh form OF? Who can say with true certitude? Unlike the peoples of those times (and even enough people of our own times), if I do not epistemologically know the answer to such questions, I just state "I don't know". That is, I don't promote my own personal mental pontifications and meanderings and pet notions as epistemological fact. It can be called an "agnostic" viewpoint. It can be called "intellectual honesty" in the true sense of the term.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,061,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Marxist economics.
That tends to work. When applied properly.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:31 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,483 times
Wink I'll Respect You in the Morning

Old 11-25-2018, 02:12 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
That tends to work. When applied properly.
Where has it been applied properly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History