Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2022, 07:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
How did a new 19th century technology help Lincoln obtain the two-thirds vote needed in the House of Representatives to pass the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which abolished slavery?

A $60,000 telegram transmitting an "electronic Constitution" enabled Lincoln to shepherd Nevada into the Union fold as the 36th state. Nevada's statehood helped Lincoln muster the slim, 2/3s majority needed in the House of Representatives to pass the 13th amendment. How much we take modern communication technology, even air express, for granted!

<<
But, Lincoln thought about the weekly military reports that tallied the thousands of Civil War casualties. “It is easier to admit Nevada,” he told Charles Dana, his Assistant Secretary of War, “than to raise another million soldiers.” The math was simple in Lincoln’s mind, for a new state could cast three electoral votes, votes he needed for reelection. “It is a question of three votes,” said Lincoln “or new armies.”

Nevada, he reasoned, was his best chance to vote for him and his Republican party. While Nevada wasn’t as populated, it was pro-Union, since many of the residents came from the North, and it was also pro-Republican in the truest sense of the word: It believed that power resided in the federal government, and that the federal government should intervene with economic policies. Nevada had also been a team player. It guarded the Overland Mail route, which allowed the East to communicate with the West via stagecoach, and also Nevada contributed hundreds of millions of dollars from its mines, offsetting the cost of the Civil War....

Over the weeks of wrangling at the convention, the name Nevada was settled on. On September 7, 1864, the citizens of Nevada voted 8 to 1 on their new constitution, approving it. Now, the task was to get a copy of the state constitution to the president. There was little over a month to get it to Washington. Given the means of delivery, there was just enough time.

One common way of getting a long document across the country was by boat. After a courier reached the Pacific Ocean at San Francisco, which took a couple of days, they would board a ship that headed to the Isthmus of Panama. They then crossed it by mule, and then continued on by boat up to Washington, D.C. The other way to get a document across was the stagecoach. In the 1850s, the Overland Stagecoach was created. It took over 20 days to reach the Missouri River from the West; from there a message could be carried by train, taking about a week. Nevada’s Territorial Governor Nye sent several copies of the document both by land and by sea, and waited to hear the good news from Lincoln with a proclamation of statehood....

[Nevada Territorial Governor] Nye was charismatic and known for his “winning friendly face,” but his countenance changed rapidly when a telegram arrived the evening of Tuesday, October 25, 1864. The head of the California Pacific Telegraph passed on a telegram to him, which said, “The President has not received a copy of your constitution.” The deadline for the materials was just a few days away. There wasn’t enough time to mail it to the President. If Nye was going to get 175 pages of this official document to Abraham Lincoln, he was going to have to use the new technology that was just installed three years prior — the telegraph.>>

https://time.com/5832758/abraham-lin...very-telegram/

The article details the immense task of sending an over 16,000 word document by telegraph, including the need to retransmit the document several times.

<<When these electrical impulses finally reached the last leg of their journey, they were sent to the telegraph office of the War Department. This transmission was of such importance that intelligence from the warfront was put on hold for five hours to make way for Nevada’s telegram. Hodge’s and Ward’s message took two days to get to Lincoln and the cost of sending the message was $4,303.27 ($60,000 today). Nevada’s electric constitution reached Lincoln on the evening of October 28 and he proclaimed it a state on the 30th.>>

While Lincoln eventually didn't need Nevada's electoral votes to become President, Nevada's single vote in the House to pass the 13th Amendment a few months after the 1864 election was crucial.

<<With this victory behind him, Lincoln now worried about the vote on the abolition of slavery act in the House of Representatives. This act had already passed in the Senate, but it had failed to get the majority of votes in the House the year before. Lincoln wished Nevada’s sole Representative, Henry G. Worthington, a swift and safe journey from the West so he could cast his single vote. Worthington arrived in time to cast his vote on January 31, 1865. The resulting count was 119 yeas, 56 nays, (with 8 abstains). The amendment passed with Worthington’s vote as one of the two that put the number of “yea” votes safely in the majority. Those two votes were precious like gold to Lincoln.>>

Not mentioned in the story, the Union's capture of Atlanta generally is deemed to have powered Lincoln to victory. Union voters saw a victorious end to the immensely costly war at hand, and didn't want to risk forfeiting the goal for which so many great sacrifices had been made.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1864_U...ntial_election

Gen. Phil Sheridan's famous ride to salvage victory from what might have been a Lincoln-crushing defeat in the Battle of Cedar Creek also was extremely important in Lincoln's reelection.

https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.co...heridans-ride/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...dan's_Ride

The poem that helped reelect Lincoln:

https://ironbrigader.com/2017/10/12/...the-civil-war/

Gallant horses were much admired by 19th century Americans.

"Lincoln," starring Daniel Day Lewis, portrays Lincoln's efforts to pass the 13th Amendment; if you haven't seen it yet, don't miss doing so. While the movie does reveal Lincoln's determined vision and skills as a politician, I don't remember it discussing how he put the Nevada card in his pocket to be played when needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(film)

Nevada likely became a state years earlier than would have otherwise occurred.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-15-2022 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2022, 01:44 PM

1,047 posts, read 1,013,612 times
Had the telegraph not put the Pony Express out of business, it could have delivered the constitution from the Nevada capital to the eastern railhead in a week.

Old 02-22-2022, 10:38 AM

35,034 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Did anyone know that U.S. vital papers were transported to New York City, the first U.S. capital, during the Civil War when it looked as if Washington, D.C. might fall?

Old 02-26-2022, 11:03 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Did anyone know that U.S. vital papers were transported to New York City, the first U.S. capital, during the Civil War when it looked as if Washington, D.C. might fall?
I did not know that. Do you have more to tell about this?

Old 02-27-2022, 05:52 AM

8,413 posts, read 7,407,792 times
Quote:
Curious.

I would imagine that the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution would have been among said vital papers transported to New York City during the Civil War. However, it appears that the Declaration of Independence was only moved from Washington DC three times after the federal government took up residence in Washington DC.

The first time was during the War of 1812, when President James Monroe warned the State Department that the British were advancing on Washington DC. Stephen Pleasonton, a clerk with the State Department, oversaw the evacuation of government records, including the Declaration. The records were safely hidden 35 miles away in Leesburg VA when the British captured the nation's capital and began burning the buildings. The records remained hidden away and were only returned to Washington DC after the British troops had withdrawn and their fleet had sailed away.

The second time was during the US Centennial, when the Declaration of Independence was put on display in Philadelphia.

The third time was during World War II, when the Declaration of Independence and the US Constitution were stored at Fort Knox.

https://www.archives.gov/founding-do...ration-history

Old 02-28-2022, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I did not know that. Do you have more to tell about this?
I wish I did. It was in one sentence in either of four books I've read about the Civil War,
  1. Terrible Swift Sword: The Life of General Philip H. Sheridan by Wheelan, Joseph
  2. Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln by Goodwin, Doris Kearns
  3. Grant by Chernow, Ron; or
  4. April 1865: The Month That Saved America by Winik, Jay
If I find out more I will advise. But it makes sense since Philadelphia, really the only other credible U.S. capital would have been too close for comfort if DC fell. Keep in mind that Maryland and Delaware were slave states and southern NJ had pockets of slavery. If the U.S. capital was on the run, New York would have been the sensible place to which to bring it.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:56 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Years back, maybe 1980-81, I happened to be south of the Mason-Dixon Line and I accidentally stumbled on something in a churchyard in South Carolina, what was there that would particularly pique my interest?

Old 02-28-2022, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Years back, maybe 1980-81, I happened to be south of the Mason-Dixon Line and I accidentally stumbled on something in a churchyard in South Carolina, what was there that would particularly pique my interest?
A Star of David?

Old 03-01-2022, 09:46 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
A Star of David?
No, but I’m intrigued as to why you’d think that would pique my interest.
Granted that a Star of David would probably be unusual in a churchyard though.

Old 03-01-2022, 09:58 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,884,085 times
Quote:
A Star of David?
Not so unusual. The CSA's Secretary of State was jewish - Judah Benjamin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History