Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 06:07 AM

410 posts, read 1,107,509 times

Advertisements

D. Providence, Sacramento
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
All Correct. Sacramento was what I had in mind for D), but I suppose one could also make a case for Santa Fe.

One more occurred to me. What two state capitals names are also non-capitalized stand-alone words in English that would be valid Scrabble entries?

Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Making a quick count, I have found 15 counties that form a "land bridge" between two states that that do not touch each other. For example Rockingham County, New Hampshire, touches both Maine and Massachusetts. Can you find them all? Are there more than 15?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
The three counties of the OK panhandle (Cimarron, Texas and Beaver Counties, OK) form a bridge between Texas and Kansas. Cimarron is the furthest west of these, serves triple duty as it is a bridge between NM and KS and TX and CO as well.

Washington and Frederick Counties in Maryland bridges Pennsylvania and Virginia

Worcester County, Maryland bridges Virginia and Delaware

The three Delaware Counties could be considered a bridge between Maryland and New Jersey, but since you can only cross the Delaware River/Bay from Newcastle County, DE into NJ, will only count that as one.

Boundary and Bonner counties in Idaho bridge Washington and Montana while Idaho County, Idaho bridges Oregon and Montana

That's ten, will work on some more.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:29 PM

If youre burning your eyes out on paper maps, go to

Why do you think they call them counties?

Click "scoreboard" and then click any user in the left column, to see a full USA county map. You might have to click once on the map to blow it up for more detail.

I just found two more, so there should be at least 17, counting only one in Delaware.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-07-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-08-2009, 01:27 AM

Mohave County, Arizona bridges California and Utah.

Baca County, Colorado bridges New Mexico and Kansas.

Berkshire County, Massachusettes bridges Connecticut and Vermont while Worcester County, Mass serves double duty as a bridge from New Hampshire to both Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Clark County, Nevada bridges California and Utah. I have found an interesting line that is hard to distinguish, but it looks like the dividing line between Elko and Humboldt counties lines up directly with the state line between Idaho and Oregon. This would form a four corners area between four counties in three states. It is hard to see if it is a perferct four corners from my map. If it is, then Elko county would be a bridge between Utah and Oregon, if you consider touching at diagonal corners as having a border.

Coos County, New Hampshire bridges Vermont and Maine.

Union County, New Mexico bridges Texas and Colorado.

Westchester County, New York bridges New Jersey and Connecticut.

This puts my total at 18 (19 if you count Humboldt couty) not including your original Rockingham County, NH.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:22 AM

Clark County NV falls way short (maybe 5 miles) of touching Utah. Humboldt NV falls about 1/2 mile short of touching Oregon. (Zoom in on MapQuest). I missed Union NM, that should make a total of 18 between us, including the example.

Mapquest is quite fascinating for things like this. If you zoom in and click "aerial view" you can see that there is a fairly decent dirt road along the north boundary of Nevada. Also a poorer dirt track along the ID/OR line, deviating around topography, but no discernable surface feature nor land-use difference between Elko and Humboldt counties, a half-mile to the east.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Clark County NV falls way short (maybe 5 miles) of touching Utah. Humboldt NV falls about 1/2 mile short of touching Oregon. (Zoom in on MapQuest). I missed Union NM, that should make a total of 18 between us, including the example.

Mapquest is quite fascinating for things like this. If you zoom in and click "aerial view" you can see that there is a fairly decent dirt road along the north boundary of Nevada. Also a poorer dirt track along the ID/OR line, deviating around topography, but no discernable surface feature nor land-use difference between Elko and Humboldt counties, a half-mile to the east.
I found a web sight that listed each state and its counties by name but did not list the neighboring state. Clark is the only one that I did not check against my road atlas, it just looked huge enough that I did not double check. Now I see clearly that it doesn't get to Utah. Carter County in Montana is closer to bridging Wyoming and North Dakota, falling less than 5 miles of the ND border.

Even the road atlas looked as if the county line of Elko and Humboldt and the state line of Oregon and Idaho was off just the tiniest fraction, was just hoping. It looks like this little bit of an overlap does occur with Cimmaron, OK and allows it to be a bridge between New Mexico and Kansas.

Sould we get to count Cimarron three times and Worcester, Mass two times in our list?

This was a good one Jtur.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:50 AM

I think we forgot Erie, PA. That should make 19.
AZ
CO
DE
ID(3)
MD(3)
MA(2)
NH(2)
NM
NY
OK(3)
PA

Last edited by jtur88; 05-08-2009 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 12:15 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
One more occurred to me. What two state capitals names are also non-capitalized stand-alone words in English that would be valid Scrabble entries?
Concord and Providence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History