Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:42 AM

175 posts, read 93,809 times

Advertisements

The Baby Boomer Generation

Generation X

Millennials (Gen Y)

GenZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 09:49 AM

175 posts, read 93,809 times
I was born in 1996,that made me an early Gen Z kid,even I feel closer to the Millenials when in my childhood.

Old 11-02-2019, 09:59 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,549,562 times
Okay but... why is the Gen X guy all groomed and business ready? That is a HUGE lie. Gen X was the burnout generation, the grunge rock generation, the teens who played the Sega Genesis because it did what Nintendon't, the Clerks guys, the sarcastic gloom people.

What's all this yuppie image crap all of a sudden?

Generation labels are such BS. The goal post is always moving, it only exists for older people to use for complaining about them durn kids these days.

I'm a Millennial I guess. No way in hell I'd ever wear my hair like that though.

Addendum: our collective poverty has a lot more causes than just "student debt". More like "bad income to expense ratios" and "no ladders to climb" and "Boomers won't retire because they know the world is screwed today".

Old 11-02-2019, 10:23 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortituda View Post

Generation X

I am generation X:
- yes, Cold War shaped perception of global experience;

- however, zero debt;

- stopped watching TV in 1993;

- stopped reading printed news around 10 years ago, now only through internet - and that through market prices, actually read very few articles, most are propaganda -,

- very little Facebook.

On the other hand, I often communicate through e-mail which apparently makes me old fashioned.

Having said all that, I agree with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Generation labels are such BS. The goal post is always moving, it only exists for older people to use for complaining about them durn kids these days.

Addendum: our collective poverty has a lot more causes than just "student debt". More like "bad income to expense ratios" ...
End of Cold War followed by "globalism" at break-neck speed hasn't been a day at the beach for everyone.

Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
I was born in 1943, a pre-boomer, boomer. Thanks, in no small part to the industrial development required to win WW2, we boomers and our parents reaped the post-war harvest. But what many of us have never understood, or appreciated, were the human sacrifices required by our parents' generation to put our industrial might to use on the battlefield. I had 5 uncles. 4 of them fought in WW2 - all in the Pacific. The one who didn't fight was judged to be medically unfit. The sad and telling thing about their contribution is that they were reluctant to talk about their experiences and I was too obsessed with reaping the economic benefits of their service that I never asked.

All this dawned on me only in the last 10-15 years, after I became an ardent reader of books about WW2 (mostly about the Pacific War), and found out about the dangers my father and uncles faced in the US Navy, but barely talked about, in places like Guadalcanal, Saipan and Okinawa.

I don't know what else to say, except that we didn't do it on our own, as many boomers still think.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I was born in 1943, a pre-boomer, boomer. Thanks, in no small part to the industrial development required to win WW2, we boomers and our parents reaped the post-war harvest. But what many of us have never understood, or appreciated, were the human sacrifices required by our parents' generation to put our industrial might to use on the battlefield. I had 5 uncles. 4 of them fought in WW2 - all in the Pacific. The one who didn't fight was judged to be medically unfit. The sad and telling thing about their contribution is that they were reluctant to talk about their experiences and I was too obsessed with reaping the economic benefits of their service that I never asked.

All this dawned on me only in the last 10-15 years, after I became an ardent reader of books about WW2 (mostly about the Pacific War), and found out about the dangers my father and uncles faced in the US Navy, but barely talked about, in places like Guadalcanal, Saipan and Okinawa.

I don't know what else to say, except that we didn't do it on our own, as many boomers still think.
I've read in multiple places that the generation between "Greatest" and "Boomer" are referred to as the "Silent generation".

I don't know why the name is what it is, but it's certainly a neglected age group.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:28 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,890,996 times
According to those year ranges, I am a Millennial but my brother, who is only 3 years older than me, is Gen X. There are other year ranges that put Gen X into the early 80s, which would include me. It doesn't seem like there's any official cut off year so I really don't know, I guess I could go either way. Many people who are on the "cusp years" between Gen X and Millennials feel they share qualities with both generations yet also don't fully fit into either generation, which is exactly how I feel about it too. Hence there is an unofficial "micro-generation" called Xennials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

"Xennials (also known as the Oregon Trail Generation and Generation Catalano) are the micro-generation of people on the cusp of the Generation X and Millennial demographic cohorts, typically born in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Xennials are described as having had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood."

Old 11-02-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
According to those year ranges, I am a Millennial but my brother, who is only 3 years older than me, is Gen X. There are other year ranges that put Gen X into the early 80s, which would include me. It doesn't seem like there's any official cut off year so I really don't know, I guess I could go either way. Many people who are on the "cusp years" between Gen X and Millennials feel they share qualities with both generations yet also don't fully fit into either generation, which is exactly how I feel about it too. Hence there is an unofficial "micro-generation" called Xennials: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xennials

"Xennials (also known as the Oregon Trail Generation and Generation Catalano) are the micro-generation of people on the cusp of the Generation X and Millennial demographic cohorts, typically born in the late 1970s to early 1980s. Xennials are described as having had an analog childhood and a digital adulthood."
I've always said that technology has narrowed the gap.

20 years was a solid generation prior to the 1970's. But as media tech, video games, and eventually the internet rose from then onward, people within a 20 year span now had little in common at each end.

Our massive dive into the world of global communication and entertainment has sped things up. Culture now evolves rapidly, perhaps too rapidly. The human mind cannot change as fast as trends now demand. There's definitely some generational dissonance at play.

We live at the pace of the computer now. In times past, 20 years was a cultural generation. Now, it's a little more like 5-10 years.

Old 11-02-2019, 11:44 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,501,841 times
I was under the impression that the millennial generation lasted until 1999. Either ways, I was born in the 80's so I'm a millennial.

Old 11-03-2019, 12:50 AM

1,056 posts, read 727,641 times
Gen Z. Born March 2003.

Indeed, that financial attitude describes me very well. I aim to be a businessman (specifically a commercial plant nurser) but to try doing good rather than being a greedy/corrupt one, as I'm over 80% liberal and hate seeing others struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History