Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 05:19 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I do not care if she is on her last breathe during the trial to come.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/05/w...gtype=Homepage
I agree. Germany is doing the right thing. Justice needs to be served. She had to know where she worked and what she did there.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:45 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
She was a secretary to a guy who only spent 11 years in prison. So what is she expected to get for filing some papers and typing some letters for him when she was 18?
It sounds like;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVV3Q-0p8Qk

All kidding aside, while I do not know enough about the woman's involvement in this case, not everyone who was a member of a political party within the government, should be prosecucted based on that alone.
So if this woman was personally responsible for decision making and/or directly participated in war crimes, then have at her.

But if it was just some low level person who mowed the lawn, cleaned the pool, shuffled paperwork, delivered the mail, etc., then no, she should not be treated like a war criminal.
To do so trivializes the actual horror perpetrated by the evil people who deserve to rot in hell for all eternity.

`

Old 02-10-2021, 07:39 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It sounds like;

All kidding aside, while I do not know enough about the woman's involvement in this case, not everyone who was a member of a political party within the government, should be prosecucted based on that alone.
So if this woman was personally responsible for decision making and/or directly participated in war crimes, then have at her.

But if it was just some low level person who mowed the lawn, cleaned the pool, shuffled paperwork, delivered the mail, etc., then no, she should not be treated like a war criminal.
To do so trivializes the actual horror perpetrated by the evil people who deserve to rot in hell for all eternity.
Great point. Also, what of those who allied with the Nazi's - Japan, obviously, but also Italy, Romania, Slovakia, Hungary, Croatia, the Serbs, Croatia, and others (Arab states, I think) I can't recall. Even Russia had a non-aggression pact with Hitler (which Hitler broke), and another with Japan (which Stalin broke in order to try and get spoils from Japan at the end of the war). Should all of the low-level workers in those countries face the same fate as Eichmann? There has to be classifications for guilt, otherwise should everyone in Germany have been executed at the war's end, when the majority (I think) never joined the Nazi Party? In fact, many were, with the bombing of the major cities.

Part of the cause for WWII was the punitive actions taken after WWI, if I remember correctly, and this is why there was so much "forgiveness" after WWII's end, with only the Nazi leaders and proven participants in the Holocaust being singled out for War Crimes.

I can't help but think there is at least some hatred for the Nazi's (Fascists) today because of their traditional hatred for the Communists, who have gained a lot of fans (and historical whitewashing) in recent years. Personally, I find both political ideologies equally reprehensible, with both having been responsible for the vast majority of the untimely deaths of the twentieth century. I'll say it again, Stalin and Mao were at least Hitler's, Mussolini's and Tojo's equals, and History would do well to remember this.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:41 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Germany's atrocities were 100x as reprehensible as any other nations, in terms of sadly being effective.

Poland had just 1,100 Jewish people alive by the end of WWII. A smaller quantity than would attend a high school basketball game in much of the USA.
Think you should look at some Russian and Chinese and Cambodian history under the communists. Of course, most of the victims were from their own country.

Old 02-12-2021, 05:48 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
That's simply not true - WWII killed approximately sixty million people all-told. About 6 million were Germans, and less than four million were Japanese. Germany killed close to twenty million Russians, and Japan killed about twenty million Chinese alone. Victor Davis Hanson did a series about the war in which he said (paraphrased), "The war was unique in that the losing (Axis) side killed far more people then they themselves suffered. One of the greatest takeaways from WWII is that the Germans and Japanese were extremely ruthless and efficient killers".
I never knew that. Thanks.

Quote:
On a side note, far fewer people of responsibility were punished after the war in Japan than were punished in Germany. This is one reason both China and Korea both hold collective "grudges" against Japan even today.
I suspect more of them died at their own hands than in Germany. This is from a combination of the culture and McCarthur's rumored ruthlessness. We did not see, in Japan, people with serious blood on their hands becoming Prime Ministers. That did happen in Germany. Also, Japan's primary atrocities were focused outside of the country, in China, the Pacific Islands, Southeast Asia and on POW's. The war in all likelihood killed many of the perpetrators. In Germany there was a cosmetic "de-Nazification" which allowed important leaders such as Eichmann to escape. Israel kidnapped and tried him mostly to show the world its hypocrisy.

Quote:
One thing that is laughable to me is the moral podium most westerners put themselves on when talking about Nazi Germany, that "They would never have been part of such a ruthless and evil enterprise". I say "Bullspit" to that, they would have done whatever it took to survive, the same as the Jews who worked in the death camps, processing other Jews for extermination. Nobody knows what he or she would do in such a situation, and many psychological studies suggest it is far more likely one would choose to be a camp guard than to be shot or sent to the meatgrinder that was the Russian Front. I have to ask what modern Germans will do when they run out of 95 year-old former secretaries - will they visit the sins of the fathers upon their sons? Because that sure looks like the way we're heading in the U.S., specifically with "White Guilt" and the undercurrent of "reparations". What the proponents don't understand, is that they are laying the groundwork for future atrocities by doing so. Oh, well, another thread.
Quite true. Many of the "Judenrat" members (accent on last syllable) were not rewarded for their dubious "loyalty" to the Nazis. They were useful idiots and were often shot or gassed themselves.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:48 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
Consequences.

But, I'd much rather see mercy especially this far out. That goes for everyone and not just nazi's.

Over 6 million deaths do not deserve mercy on any level!

Never again!

Old 02-12-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlin View Post
Consequences.

But, I'd much rather see mercy especially this far out. That goes for everyone and not just nazi's.
Over 6 million deaths do not deserve mercy on any level!

Never again!
I agree. But prosecuting a non-decision maker after she's helpless and without influence smacks of virtue-signaling.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree. But prosecuting a non-decision maker after she's helpless and without influence smacks of virtue-signaling.
I'm glad I'm drawing reps on this post. Are people scared to publicly show criticism of virtue-signalling, that somehow they'll seem to be an ogre?

Old 02-15-2021, 11:15 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
By extension, anyone who worked for the German railroad in any capacity should be tried for complicity.
And any country that allowed German trains carrying people to concentration camps to cross it's borders is also guilty. Are you listening Switzerland?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:47 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
Go after the JAPS that murdered more than Germany ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History