Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2008, 05:45 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
You got it, and you are right he was bad to the core.
He was a founding member of the of the Croatian separatist movement, (Ustase) connected to the deaths of 800,000 Croatians, and deportation of another 700,000 Croatians.

His Post War II life give us a lot to learn too. Here is an artical from the internet on Wikipedia.

In May 1945 Pavelić fled via Bleiburg to Austria, where he stayed for a few months before transferring to Rome, where he was hidden by members of the Roman Catholic Church (as is documented in de-classified US Intelligence documents).
Six months later, he fled to South America. Upon arriving in Argentina via the ratlines, he became a security advisor to Juan Perón. Perón issued 34,000 visas to Croatians: both the Nazi collaborators and the anti-communists that fled from the new communist government led by Josip Broz Tito.

Your turn:
I just wanted to interject a quick comment on this subject before it leaves. There is no one people or ethnic group that is completely free of biases toward others, or, on the other hand, who have a corner on morality. People around the world are pretty much the same. However, according to Professor Howard L. Adelson, the WWII crimes at the Ustashi concentration camp of Jasenovic "beggar the imagination." Even hardened Nazi officers were appalled by the cruelty and attempted to stop it. Hundreds of thousands of Serbs, Jews and Gypsies were put to death in a ghastly manner. Would that it had ended there, but Adelson asserts that it has continued into the more recent decades of Balkan strife. As Blaise Pascal famously said, "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 7,374 times
I have always liked that Pascal quote.

Now onto my question:

A 17th century naturalist/ scientist, I was the first person to circumnavigate the world three times. My works and innovations have influenced the likes of Charles Darwin, William Bligh, Horatio Nelson, and Joseph Banks. I am cited extensively throughout the Oxford English Dictionary, and was court-martialed and dismissed from the Royal Navy for cruelty.

Bonus question: What was my other "occupation"?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrunner75 View Post
I have always liked that Pascal quote.

Now onto my question:

A 17th century naturalist/ scientist, I was the first person to circumnavigate the world three times. My works and innovations have influenced the likes of Charles Darwin, William Bligh, Horatio Nelson, and Joseph Banks. I am cited extensively throughout the Oxford English Dictionary, and was court-martialed and dismissed from the Royal Navy for cruelty.

Bonus question: What was my other "occupation"?

Is this William Damier? My first thought was Captain Cook, but I'm sure Cook wasn't court-martialed and dismissed from the Navy. Isn't Damier the one that got into trouble over the Selkirk affair?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 7,374 times
DC at the Ridge, throw a p into that last name and you have it.

William Dampier, it was Gibson who brought charges up against him when Dampier booted him off the boat in Brazil. Dampier also was involved in the Selkirk affair.

Now for the bonus?

Old 06-26-2008, 02:13 PM

Sorry, I can't help with the bonus. I only know Dampier's name because I read a book about the Essex and how it was attacked by the whale, and when they abandoned ship some were looking for the island Selkirk had been left on, but they didn't find it. The book gave a brief explanation of Selkirk, and I only half-remembered it.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:25 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
I just wanted to interject a quick comment on this subject before it leaves. There is no one people or ethnic group that is completely free of biases toward others, or, on the other hand, who have a corner on morality. People around the world are pretty much the same. However, according to Professor Howard L. Adelson, the WWII crimes at the Ustashi concentration camp of Jasenovic "beggar the imagination." Even hardened Nazi officers were appalled by the cruelty and attempted to stop it. Hundreds of thousands of Serbs, Jews and Gypsies were put to death in a ghastly manner. Would that it had ended there, but Adelson asserts that it has continued into the more recent decades of Balkan strife. As Blaise Pascal famously said, "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction."
Well said!!

Old 06-26-2008, 09:35 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,180 times
Thumbs up Who am I?

I was born the 2nd of eight children in Portsmouth, England. The year was 1812.

I was faulted for the sentimentality in my works. But the public loved me, and my writings, no matter.

I have a modern fan on CD. She thinks my tales are enriched with beauty; Darkness into light!

And, she/me thinks it is the best and worst of times!

TOO EASY!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:35 AM

You must be talking about Dickens. When I was in high school we had to translate A Tale of Two Cities from French to English. The teacher told us that he was paid by the inch by the newspapers, which explains that opening paragraph.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:39 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,699,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You must be talking about Dickens. When I was in high school we had to translate A Tale of Two Cities from French to English. The teacher told us that he was paid by the inch by the newspapers, which explains that opening paragraph.

This impressed me!!! But oh, what lovely inches!!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadybug View Post
This impressed me!!! But oh, what lovely inches!!!!
Here's one of my favorite essays on Dickens.

It concludes with this passage....

"When one reads any strongly individual piece of writing, one has the impression of seeing a face somewhere behind the page...in the case of Dickens I see a face that is not quite the face of Dickens's photographs, though it resembles it. It is the face of a man of about forty, with a small beard and a high colour. He is laughing, with a touch of anger in his laughter, but no triumph, no malignity. It is the face of a man who is always fighting against something, but who fights in the open and is not frightened, the face of a man who is generously angry — in other words, of a nineteenth-century liberal, a free intelligence, a type hated with equal hatred by all the smelly little orthodoxies which are now contending for our souls."

George Orwell: Charles Dickens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History