Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times

Advertisements

Good, bad, or indifferent, the possible consequences of warfare changed 63 years ago today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 07:46 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,402,539 times
All of the above

Old 08-06-2008, 08:47 AM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
The A-bomb...the only thing that has kept Europe at relative peace since the dawn of recorded history.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
In warfare a good strategic move. It kept the Russian out of Japan proper although they did take Karafuto and the Chishimas. It ended the war before the Russians could make a bug move on Japan as they did in Korea. It may have saved many American servicemens lives although according to Japanese history that was not true. however in either direction it is highly speculative.

As far as humane treatment of non-combatants it was not a very good thing because the radiation poisoning and other effects are still being felt by the people of Hiroshima in the manner of deformed births and an extraordinary surge of cancer in the affected area.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:55 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
This has been debated to death here. I think we've worn out the topic after 35+ pages of discussing every angle and contingency on the Hiroshima issue. Next topic?

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ned-if-we.html

Old 08-06-2008, 09:05 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Well, I'll add one thing.

How is the bombing of Hiroshima any different than the bombings of Hamburg and Dresden? Immediate deaths in those cities were estimated to be 50,000-60,000 people. And, while figures vary wildly on the Rape of Nanking, a range from 150,000-300,000 civilians is where almost all historians place their estimates.

In Nanking, all those civilians were killed with bullets and bayonets. In Hamburg and Dresden, they either died from the immediate effects of the explosions or were incinerated in the resulting firestorm.

So why is the Hiroshima bombing any more immoral or outrageous than the untold numbers of civilians killed by conventional means? I really have never heard a good argument for the manifest immorality of atomic weapons versus conventional weapons.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:08 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This has been debated to death here. I think we've worn out the topic after 35+ pages of discussing every angle and contingency on the Hiroshima issue. Next topic?

//www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ned-if-we.html

I posted mainly to mark today as the anniversary of the event.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:09 AM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

How is the bombing of Hiroshima any different than the bombings of Hamburg and Dresden? Immediate deaths in those cities were estimated to be 50,000-60,000 people. And, while figures vary wildly on the Rape of Nanking, a range from 150,000-300,000 civilians is where almost all historians place their estimates.

In Nanking, all those civilians were killed with bullets and bayonets. In Hamburg and Dresden, they either died from the immediate effects of the explosions or were incinerated in the resulting firestorm.

So why is the Hiroshima bombing any more immoral or outrageous than the untold numbers of civilians killed by conventional means? I really have never heard a good argument for the manifest immorality of atomic weapons versus conventional weapons.
It's bad because the US did it.

The bulk of the people with strongly critical views of Hiroshima being unneccessary are Japanese, Europeans with strong communist views or that were from countires that fought for the axis. Also a number of US apologists but those tend to be anti-government or green types that hate anything nuclear and thus form an opinion based on that but lack any real knowledge of the history and more complex issues.

A number of countries that did truly heinous things like to try to use Hiroshima as some sort of moral equivalency, "well the US nuked Japan when they didn't have to" is a great smokescreen when criticized over killing millions of jews or chinese etc.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I guess you didn't read the second paragraph of my post above. Here it is again,

As far as humane treatment of non-combatants it was not a very good thing because the radiation poisoning and other effects are still being felt by the people of Hiroshima (today) in the manner of deformed births and an extraordinary surge of cancer in the affected area.

Such condition did not and do not exist with the fire bombing of Dresden and Tokyo. Those are questions of immediate deaths resulting from the bombing. Hiroshima on the other hand is still suffering casualties today as a result of the bombing that took place there..

Old 08-06-2008, 10:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I guess you didn't read the second paragraph of my post above. Here it is again,

As far as humane treatment of non-combatants it was not a very good thing because the radiation poisoning and other effects are still being felt by the people of Hiroshima (today) in the manner of deformed births and an extraordinary surge of cancer in the affected area.

Such condition did not and do not exist with the fire bombing of Dresden and Tokyo. Those are questions of immediate deaths resulting from the bombing. Hiroshima on the other hand is still suffering casualties today as a result of the bombing that took place there..
I did. I felt the logic was spurious.

Death is death. How is death by being exposed to radiation any different that the excruciating, lingering death of third-degree burns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History