Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times

Advertisements

I think it's more than just fashion. True fashion was more homely back then and women weren't as pressured to look sexy, but even their facial appearances and such looked more rugged and arguably more "masculine". I think it's because people had harder lives back then.

Oddly though I think makeup often makes women look more masculine, when it's overdone. Girls in the 80s and girls today actually look a bit less girly I think than girls in the 90s and 00s despite those decades being dominated by tomboy fashion for this reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
"women used to look more like men in the past"

Can you substantiate this? Data? Photos?

Old 06-19-2013, 06:53 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
How long did it take to decide on that question, OP?

Old 06-19-2013, 08:43 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
You are kidding, right?

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:02 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 08:50 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think it's more than just fashion. True fashion was more homely back then and women weren't as pressured to look sexy, but even their facial appearances and such looked more rugged and arguably more "masculine". I think it's because people had harder lives back then.

Oddly though I think makeup often makes women look more masculine, when it's overdone. Girls in the 80s and girls today actually look a bit less girly I think than girls in the 90s and 00s despite those decades being dominated by tomboy fashion for this reason.
Might have been the way they dressed:

Old 06-19-2013, 08:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Marlena Dietrich without he top hat.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:56 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You are kidding, right?
I think she's talking about prior to that, like turn of the century or before that. Perhaps some of it has to do with how there were no hormonal replacements, such as birth control pills, and estrogen therapy etc. I do agree with the idea somewhat having done some perusal of old 19th century photographs; but this is merely a subjective opinion. There were also some photographs where the women looked very feminine. So I think it was a mix of both, just as today [the hormones probably have little to do with it (though even the birth control pills will give a woman softer, clearer skin--this from experience)].

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
define "past"? You mentioned 80s-00s, but I would strongly disagree if that is the period you are talking about. If you are talking about much longer ago, some things to consider:
  • Long ago, women did much more manual labor than they do today, so it would be understandable that they would be more masculine.
  • Long ago, women didn't have the time nor the products to improve their appearance like they do today.
  • Painters often painted what they thought was the idealized women as opposed to a realistic woman. Think Michelangelo. They also didn't always have a good selection of women to chose from, as posing for photography wasn't always looked favorably upon, especially nudes.
  • During the early photography era, posers for photographs didn't smile because 1. they had to hold their expression for the longer-timed exposures and 2. it hadn't become common to smile...so people look more serious (masculine). Also black and white photography can give people a harsher (more masculine) appearance.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
I think she's talking about prior to that, like turn of the century or before that. Perhaps some of it has to do with how there were no hormonal replacements, such as birth control pills, and estrogen therapy etc. I do agree with the idea somewhat having done some perusal of old 19th century photographs; but this is merely a subjective opinion. There were also some photographs where the women looked very feminine. So I think it was a mix of both, just as today [the hormones probably have little to do with it (though even the birth control pills will give a woman softer, clearer skin--this from experience)].
I don't know when she's talking about!

Belmont!....What period are you talking about?

This one?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:09 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
There was the term..."She is a handsome and interesting woman" - Today's beauty is more girl like than womanly...Woman in the past who appeared manly were just nice lesbians who married and had kids...it was common...besides some of the men in the "past" who were girly and delicate kind of liked marrying masculine females...of course she would be boss in the home and in bed.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History