Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,537,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I dunno about that Dutchie. I haven't worked out the physics but at first glance (pun intended) it's hard to believe an arrow would strike with more force than a 9mm or .45 pistol bullet.

And the Spanish in the New World were quite well protected by their helmets from Indian darts, arrows and slingstones.
well the amerind bows were nowhere near as potent as the longbows but that fact remains that unless you are getting pinged under fifty yards arrows are ineffective against plate armor. if one understands that the man at arms had plate mail and leather on the combination twarted arrows bodkin or otherwise.

it's a myth that the english archers were anything other than an annoyance at agincourt.

mud reigned supreme on that day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 02:06 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,729,260 times
Quote:
I dunno about that Dutchie. I haven't worked out the physics but at first glance (pun intended) it's hard to believe an arrow would strike with more force than a 9mm or .45 pistol bullet.
It's a matter of momentum. A 1000+ grain war arrow has quite a bit of mass.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,813,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
well the amerind bows were nowhere near as potent as the longbows but that fact remains that unless you are getting pinged under fifty yards arrows are ineffective against plate armor.
Indeed. But I meant to refute Dutchie's assertion that an arrow strike on a helmeted head would break the neck. I wonder which strikes with more force, a war arrow or a sling stone? Or an atlatl dart?

Old 07-11-2009, 08:15 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,599,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Not all of Europe is wet (read Steppes and Mediterranean region).
germany is very wet.
so is france.
lota war history experts on this thread, i wonder how many are SCA.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
It's a matter of momentum. A 1000+ grain war arrow has quite a bit of mass.
But low velocity, about 150 feet per second for a 60 gram bodkin arrow according to Hardy's book. In any event numerous players have been struck on their helmeted heads with baseballs thown at 80 mph (and higher) without suffering broken necks, that would be a 145 gram object travelling at 117 feet per second.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:10 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,537,052 times
Quote:
Indeed. But I meant to refute Dutchie's assertion that an arrow strike on a helmeted head would break the neck. I wonder which strikes with more force, a war arrow or a sling stone? Or an atlatl dart?
I completely agree. we tried to determine the velocity of an arrow down range some years back but no one could get the arrows through the chrony at more than 60 yards. indeed arrows are very low velocity so if utilizing the formula for determining power, accelleration x mass then the arrow as a weapon for defeating armor is an epic fail.
better to do as the english archers did at agincourt, put down the bow pick up the dagger wade into the mud and stab the wallowing frenchies.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadeguy View Post
better to do as the english archers did at agincourt, put down the bow pick up the dagger wade into the mud and stab the wallowing frenchies.

Yes, as I recall that's the conclusion Keegan came to in his first book, "Face of Battle".

Old 07-12-2009, 06:27 PM

13,585 posts, read 15,729,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
germany is very wet.
so is france.
Yes, thanks -- we discussed this weeks ago.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:43 AM

3 posts, read 9,783 times
irish, 200fps, 75grams... I'll leave the maths to you, Since I don't really know about the weight and velocity of pistol rounds.

A pistol round is more likely to penetrate the skull, but a big blunt will just give an incredible smack on the head.

Nick

Old 07-28-2009, 02:48 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,239,465 times
This thread seems to have become rather dismissive of the power and effectiveness of the bow.Perhaps we should go back to the beginning;an arrow from an English longbow of the 13th-15th centuries could and did pierce armor,and most surely it could kill.English archers were feared and their opponents learned to never,ever attack massed bowman with a frontal charge.The fine breastplate that an earl or duke was wearing might turn an arrow,but not so the ordinary mail birnie that his men at arms and crossbowmen were wearing.While horses could also be armored,they could not be as well protected as their rider.A horse with an arrow in it was uncontrolable,and they were often killed outright by a hit in a vital spot that was unarmored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History