Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 08:45 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,689,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
If you want to listen for emergencies, you need a scanner. A ham radio will do you no good in an emergency.
This used to be true. However, with the changes to scanner bands to digital the hobby of listening to police, fire etc. is now pretty much dead since it's hard to find good consumer grade radios to listen with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 11:54 AM

422 posts, read 792,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
This used to be true. However, with the changes to scanner bands to digital the hobby of listening to police, fire etc. is now pretty much dead since it's hard to find good consumer grade radios to listen with.
No way. Just buy a digital scanner. Uniden makes them. Mine was not cheap, was $600.

Old 11-19-2010, 02:01 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
Ham radios are still best for weather-related emergencies IMO. If you listen to the SKYWARN nets, usually on 2 meters, you can hear the storm spotters reporting what's going on. The local one (which I participate in) has saved my car from hail damage several times.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No way. Just buy a digital scanner. Uniden makes them. Mine was not cheap, was $600.
Sorry, but $600 for a scanner that won't get all bands anymore doesn't strike me as a "consumer grade" radio.

Listen to "catman" on this one.........

Old 11-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but $600 for a scanner that won't get all bands anymore doesn't strike me as a "consumer grade" radio.

Listen to "catman" on this one.........
Describe "all bands". This one receives everything except HF, and what the FCC doesn't allow (cell phones). Decodes digital and trunking too. Uniden had to reverse-engineer all those complex trunking systems that were designed to thwart scanners. That's what you are paying for.

Ham radio is just a step up from CB, and far from professional. I would rather rely on a TV or national weather than rumors that spread over ham radio. They "stormspotters" have been the cause of more false alarm here in AL when it comes to tornadoes than any other source.

BTW, I have a technician class license and I don't even use it anymore. It's just like CB nowadays.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Describe "all bands". This one receives everything except HF, and what the FCC doesn't allow (cell phones). Decodes digital and trunking too. Uniden had to reverse-engineer all those complex trunking systems that were designed to thwart scanners. That's what you are paying for.

Ham radio is just a step up from CB, and far from professional. I would rather rely on a TV or national weather than rumors that spread over ham radio. They "stormspotters" have been the cause of more false alarm here in AL when it comes to tornadoes than any other source.

BTW, I have a technician class license and I don't even use it anymore. It's just like CB nowadays.
So you think $600 for a scanner is pocket change?

Scanners used to available that cost $ 100 sometimes less which puts $600 not in the consumer range.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,923,337 times
Quote:

I only partially agree, doug. If you keep to certain mature group discussions and meet your HF buddies every Saturday morning, for example, you can avoid the idiot comms. As well, our local emergency Action group is very well connected with the local PD. What's the acronym? RACES? If there is an emergency, as there was with Katrina, when cell phones, radio & sat TV all went down, you'll likely find the local HAM club operating with the OK from police & military.

I do still have one of the nicer Radio Shack analog handheld synthesized frequency scanners that I used to be able to hear analog cell phone conversations on. No more PD info now, but it does receive Air Band from our local small field, as well as some local emergency ambulance & fire info, the local PUD (outage info) and other stuff. Perhaps I can get a few buck$ for it on e-Bay?

I also have a still-in-box Radio shack 10m HAM rig. Who'da ever thunk they'd do that, huh? I wonder if the sun will oblige and make it work "skip" again?

My remnant interest is in long-range CW on 5W QRP, or if I'm lazy, perhaps a 25W amp, just on a tuned long wire or even my 4m stainless vertical I take along on some road trips. I can use it out in the woods or in a campground.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Scanners used to available that cost $ 100 sometimes less which puts $600 not in the consumer range.
Yeah, I do. There is nothing that scanner can't receive except HF and cell. With the mountain of features that the scanner offers, it's well worth $600 over having to buy multiple scanners to do the job that this 1 does. $600 is a bargain IMO, because it replaces dozens of radios costing thousands of dollars, and still not having the features this one does.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:29 PM

2,511 posts, read 6,302,199 times
Quote:

$600 is in the consumer range. A $600 scanner has many more features than a $100 scanner. All one has to do is go to Radioshack.com and compare the capabilities of scanners at different prices.

Additionally, there are other differences in the quality of receivers most people don't take the time to understand. Such as sensitivity. I have several older scanners here and an Icom ic-7000. The latter is a 160 m through 70 cm amateur radio transceiver. I can hear several NOAA Weather Radio stations up and down California and into Southern Oregon from time to time that the scanners just are incapable of picking up because they don't have the sensitivity, nor the selectivity. Additionally, I live in a Downtown area where I'm surrounded by transmitters and repeaters. The strong signals overload the receivers in the scanners. I have very little problem with strong signals on the ic-7000.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:53 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,196,822 times
I don't doubt that the Icom has a better receiver, but are you using the same antennas when you compare them? I don't know much about scanners, but I didn't think all of them had an external antenna input (SO-239?). If they do and you attach a good outdoor antenna, it probably overloads them.

I'm thinking of buying an IC-7000. It's expensive, but it seems like a great rig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation