Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2010, 09:41 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,348,614 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone has tried to make their own fabric patch & successfully applied it by using a spray adhesive safe for fabrics?

I have a brand new (of course!), very thin cotton/poly blend shirt which has a few small holes in it... I dropped a piece of velcro onto it, not realizing the prickly side was against it & created the holes when pulling it off.

Of course it's in the front & the material is so thin, I think those patches which are ironed on would be obvious through the fabric. I was thinking perhaps I could cut a small piece of a thin fabric, maybe silk or poly, to use as a patch. Sewing it on would be obvious, as well, but I have used adhesive spray on material before with success... however, it was for applying fabric to a wooden shelf which would never be washed. I'm not sure how the adhesive would hold up to handwashing?

Any ideas if that or something else would work? Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM

15 posts, read 41,075 times
Years ago we did a lot of embroidery on our clothing. Any patch is going to be fairly obvious so work with that aspect. You could use a spray adhesive (check product to be sure it is for fabric) to attach a piece of material that has been cut to the desired shape...an oval shape could be made into a flower with simple embroidery stitches around that shape after it is attached. Actually, there is really no need to use a spray adhesive if you are going to sew the patch around the edges.

If ya just hate to sew - there are products that you could just squeeze a line around the shape to attach your patch. Be sure to place wax paper or saran wrap behind the area you are working so you won't end up with a cool patch and the front glued to the back of your shirt!!

Good luck. These new really thin materials are hole magnets.

Plan to use colors that will compliment or colors that closely match the color or material you are trying to patch.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmomma View Post
...an oval shape could be made into a flower with simple embroidery stitches around that shape after it is attached. Actually, there is really no need to use a spray adhesive if you are going to sew the patch around the edges.
Good idea, but sorry, I should have been clearer. I don't want a patch on the outside of the shirt (it's a dressier work shirt not a knock around & since it's fitted, it looks nice worn out rather than tucked in) & it's right at the belly button area anyway, so wouldn't look good unless I chose to embellish the front of the shirt... not my style, maybe if I were a teen. I need an invisible patch on the underside.

You're right, these thinner fabrics show more than people intend at times, I've noticed. I've had to change a few times when looking in a full length mirror... those are blessings... no home should be without 2-3.

Those old iron-on patches are normally thicker, more durable material... but, we used them for play clothes when kids (jeans or pajamas) & they weren't so obvious. It would surely show through & I don't think one could stitch the area without it standing out, as well... which is why I asked if anyone had success using spray-on adhesive with a piece of thinner material.

I hate to ruin it, but I'll have to try something eventually. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,858,678 times
Any way to wear a cami under it in a similar fabric and color so you don't see the hole?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
Any way to wear a cami under it in a similar fabric and color so you don't see the hole?
No, the holes are in a small series... about 9 or so & of course are in an obvious place... accidents never happen on the hem. Perhaps that idea would work if it were just one hole... & this fabric is so sheer & the garment is long sleeved, so an underneath cami wouldn't look good... I'm sure the fabrics would cling... yuck.

I want to fix the shirt for work. I guess I'll just have to try a sheer fabric patch in a close color with adhesive spray. If it falls off, at least it won't ruin the shirt & then it will just be an around the house top... boo.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 12-17-2010, 03:36 PM

Just wanted to update in the event this might help someone else:

I searched for patches made from lighter materials online. There are some places which have more sheer patches for a few dollars in 1-ft squares, but those would only be good for someone who plans on doing a lot of patches in the same color, e.g., having small kids who often need jeans patched at the knees. Once S&H is added, it would be $10 & I'd have to hope the online color would match fairly closely... didn't see anything near the color I need.

I forget what I paid for the shirt, but I'm not putting $10 into it, particularly as I'm fairly clumsy & am sure something else will soon happen to it. I seem to spend my life stain removing, mopping, scrubbing, mending & button securing... yes, even though I wear my new improved super vision glasses.

I put it out of my mind & decided I'd wear my weirdly colored grayish-greenish top casually with jeans & leave the holes alone 'til it shreaded or I tore it up for rags. I also decided I didn't even like that horrid shirt... it's more trouble than it's worth trying to salvage & I haven't even worn it yet. My protest was on... I shoot it evil eyes each time I pass it.

Yesterday at the local market, while stuck behind a quartet of 120-yr old guys & dolls with multiple poorly-parked shopping carts, walkers & combo push-carts/walkers, I patiently waited & began scanning the very small notions space waiting to pass... I accidentally found a small pkg of Singer iron on patches. I either hadn't noticed it before or it's a new product for Ralph's to carry... $2.19 for 10 2"x3" patches. They're of the thicker variety I've always seen (my mum did a lot of knee patching with the gaggle of kids we had) & oddly enough, 1 of the patches is the exact color of my weirdo shirt. I believe Singer has some of racket worked out with garment makers or fabric dyers of oddly colored gear, but I'll post that later in a conspiracy theory forum.

In any event, the story has a good half way mark ending. Have patch in hand, will trim & iron on later with my brand new iron on my brand new ironing board... if it fails, it shall be my tub scrubbing gear.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,381 times
How about a large designer belt over the holes?

Old 12-19-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
How about a large designer belt over the holes?
Mason, I want to mend it & it's not in the right spot to cover with anything, as I said in previous posts. I don't want to worry about covering a flaw with something temporary, like a jacket, belt, sweater, vest, etc., none of which are needed in San Diego. I'll be patching it in a day or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation