Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:04 AM

11,413 posts, read 7,836,556 times

Advertisements

I was on the highway last week and 2 dumb*ss teens were buzzing traffic with some sort of drone from an overpass. As I approached the overpass, they flew the drone too close to a car which clipped it and sent it into the road. Semi took care of the rest. Laughed so hard I was crying, but the dumb*sses could have caused a serious accident. That would not have been funny and would likely have resulted in charges against them.

People are the reason people hate drones. Some people are too stupid to have something and use it in a way that doesn't annoy or endanger others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:23 PM

8,316 posts, read 3,950,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I do!!!!!

They are an invasion of privacy...... Whenever I see one (So far I have only seen 1) I duck out of its camera view straight away.... YOU DONT KNOW IF ITS RECORDING!!
I'm with you and I would bet dollars to donuts we are in the majority on this one. Someone is going to make billions in this industry, and here in the USA every dollar is a good dollar right? Just look at the firearms industry.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:44 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,914,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
I'm with you and I would bet dollars to donuts we are in the majority on this one. Someone is going to make billions in this industry, and here in the USA every dollar is a good dollar right? Just look at the firearms industry.
LOL!!! Mine don't have cameras on them.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:08 PM

17,369 posts, read 12,330,258 times
"Fences make good neighbors" and aerial photography cuts into that.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:15 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,610,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
LOL!!! Mine don't have cameras on them.

Mine either. I fly them line of sight without camera.

My cell phone however, does have a camera...as does everyone else. I'd be more worried about someone taking candid photos with their cell phone vs a drone 100+ feet up in the air.

Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,843,655 times
If I had a drone, it would be for the camera capability.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,083,940 times
That's easy! We pay dearly for our privacy and as time goes on there is less and less of it. We are recorded 24x7 on someone's video surveillance every time we leave the house. I feel I have the right to privacy in my own home/backyard. One of the reasons I bought my house was the 10ft high block fence! I have no problems with drones zipping around in public places but NIMBY(not in my back yard)!

Old 09-09-2016, 04:27 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,725,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgher-Brad View Post
I'm perplexed why the general public has such a disdain for flying drones?

I'm not talking about the killer drones that the U.S. military uses for taking out terrorists --- I mean those little plastic toys that are buzzing around ("quadcopters"). I would guess over 90% of the public hate these things and think they are only used for nefarious purposes like snapping photos of you tanning naked in your backyard or dropping bombs on crowds of people?

To me, these things will transform our society in a mostly good way just like the Internet did. I think within 10 years, many companies like Amazon and Wal-Mart will be using them to quickly deliver small items to your house in a quick and cheap manner.

I keep thinking about the example of Walgreen's shipping out some important heart medication to a homebound elderly person who doesnt drive and needs that medicine delivered quickly. What better way than to have a small drone air-drop it to the elderly patient within 20 minutes after the doctor calls in the prescription? I realize Walgreen's probably has a delivery service but that involves a human driving a car that spews lots of CO2 into the atmosphere and the service usually ends by 5pm during the week. An electric drone would be available to deliver drugs 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week!

What about those times when it's late at night and you need something urgent like a pack of condoms or a small container of milk for the kiddies' breakfast? Why bother to warm up the car on a cold winter night and drive to Wal-Mart and waste gasoline when it could be so much easier to log onto the website and have the items delivered to you by a drone that is operating 24 hrs. a day without human intervention?

Sorry, but I don't live in a paranoid fear-mongering world like many people do --- I can see enormous benefits of drones and I heartily welcome their increasing usage in our modern society!

drones are like kids, if they're your kids, they're fine, if they're other people's kids, they're nuisances or can be nuisances.

Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,863,121 times
I see a drone no different than those remote controlled blimps one could purchase for rec. use. They were slow and carry a camera payload like a drone. Probably the same as a remote controlled helicopter.

A boring silly toy in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:34 AM

15,820 posts, read 20,610,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post

A boring silly toy in my opinion.

They don't fly a drone.

But this is the hobby forum, and statements like that trivialize the hobby for those who consider flying high end drones or other expensive RC aircraft more than just a boring silly toy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation