Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

My next guitar is a PRS SE Soapbar.
Good choice. I own a PRS SE Custom and a American Standard Strat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 12:55 PM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
One guitar I just cannot seem to like though are the Gibson Les Pauls. I've tried and I've tried to like them, but evertime I pick up one to play, it just doesnt have the same magic that I feel when playing a Strat.
Les Pauls are typically a miss with me too, but my Gibson LP Tribute is my favorite guitar that I've owned. The biggest thing is that it has a slim neck profile, which works perfect for my smaller hands. I tried newer LP Standards before getting the Tribute and couldn't get it to work, neck was too bulky. I wasn't a huge fan of the pick ups either, I don't even remember what they were, but with vintage p90s mine sings great. Though I have tried the new LP Custom Silverburst, and I absolutely love it, but at $4800 it's unlikely that I'd get one any time soon.

The guitars that I struggle liking are Gibson SGs (to me the cutaways are just plain ugly) and anything Gretsch.

Old 06-30-2016, 12:58 PM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Happy View Post
The guitars that I struggle liking are Gibson SGs (to me the cutaways are just plain ugly) and anything Gretsch.
That "horned" look of an SG goes perfectly with Angus Young though. :-)

Old 06-30-2016, 01:02 PM

306 posts, read 336,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
That "horned" look of an SG goes perfectly with Angus Young though. :-)
Ha! His guitar is the least ridiculous looking thing about him! But the boy can play!

Old 06-30-2016, 08:14 PM

5,357 posts, read 5,136,516 times
Cool replies guys! This thread finally came alive!

About acoustic, I also own one, but I always crave the variety and sound that electrics give. Really they are quite different because acoustics are a lot more about full chords whereas electrics are more about the individual notes or smaller chords. I always liked the 12 string sound better. Speaking of which, PRS has a 12 string hollowbody that has piezo pickups, meaning it can sound just like an acoustic or it can sound like a awesome electric. Downside is that it's mega expensive

I never got the appeal of a strat. I have a clone model, and it does sound unique and actually interesting clean (the EMG pickup is lacking here), but it's kinda one dimensional with the pickups, which aren't that good once the effects and distortion gets layered on. But maybe I'm missing something. I've played more expensive ones in guitar center, but I couldn't tell loads of differences besides the neck felt better.

I actually liked the Epiphones I played at guitar center the most (except for PRS). I liked the thicker sounds of a Les Paul and it felt decently good, especially the thin neck. Epiphone stands out as the one brand where you get get expensive features, like coil splits and hollow bodies, for a price below what others start to offer those features at. They were heavy as heck though... The SGs look cooler (with Tony Iommi imprinted in my mind ) but the body didn't feel as comfortable.

My PRS Vela came in and god am I in love with that. I would recommend that to anyone who likes single coils and is looking at a $1000ish guitar (mine was 850). It's light weight and comfortable yet durable. The neck low output pickup is OMG what I wanted out of a strat single coil (more clear and can handle distortion and B-M-T adjustments better), the bridge pickup splits with a nice hot full humbucker and a tele sounding single coil in the split. 3 very different tones on one guitar, which can then be mixed in the middle position. That guitar kicked the strat off my keep list and satisfied my desire for a more middle of the road humbucker guitar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation