Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Oh, no. So easy. https://www.craftideas.info/html/swe...er_hearts.html

It’s even easier in fabric, because you can bend and twist the strips to put them together. I sewed the ribbon handle on with a snowflake stitch on my machine.
Ha! What a cute idea! No fitting tiny fabric squares together. Whod've thunk it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
First of all, I'm thrilled to know spinners because years ago someone who shared my unwavering love for my pets gave me a book about knitting with dog hair - because SHE had a dog and thought I would just spin up some yarn and make her a commemorative scarf or something. Not happening, but since I got my cat I have saved her brushings (roving?) and want to know how possible it really is to have a bit of her warmth forever.

What I'm sewing is the one and only quilt I've ever put together entirely by hand. I was clearing out my stash (as if, really) and pulling out colors not in my favored cool palette and I couldn't believe I had so many of them. I tossed them aside and when I finished and turned and saw the pile of colors I knew I had to use them all together for something.

I have a damaged Grandmother's Flower Garden that my great grandmother made and my grandmother gave me for my wedding gift. I intend to have it repaired (not my fault, a flood from the apartment above) and I'm making a far more modern version, a Not Your Grandmother's Flower Garden, if you will. I went old school and cut out freezer paper hexagons by hand. I miscounted and have piles I didn't use, but I have since figured out how to make them the binding. I've worked on this on and off in between other things and I am sewing on the next to last row on what turned out to be a nice twin sized quilt, about 55 x 87. It's taken years.
That is very cool, and the craftsmanship looks perfect. It reminded me of the log cabin (I think it’s called that) machine quilt I made long ago. Where you stitch strips of rectangles, beginning with a square.

https://www.thespruce.com/easy-log-c...attern-2820934

Old 11-21-2017, 08:13 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
That is very cool, and the craftsmanship looks perfect. It reminded me of the log cabin (I think it’s called that) machine quilt I made long ago. Where you stitch strips of rectangles, beginning with a square.

https://www.thespruce.com/easy-log-c...attern-2820934
Thank you for the craftsmanship compliment.

The log cabin is my favorite quilt pattern. The geometry and possibility of it are what made me a quilter. My favorite log cabins are by Emiko Toda Loeb. I got to see an exhibit of her work once and then take a class with her, teaching her reversible log cabin technique.

Gallery of Emiko T. Loeb's Quilt Works

Old 11-21-2017, 09:26 AM

Artists like that are why I’m a better “appreciator” of the work of other’s than I am one myself.
It’s a shame we only have one life. The older I get, the more I want a few more lifetimes to try to be an artist, a weaver, an author, among several other things...

Old 11-21-2017, 10:41 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,596,106 times
I love counted cross stitch. I can make the easy ones, and the harder ones (300 x 300 rows/columns size). I especially like colors like red, blue, green, but not really autumn colors as the main colors.. Looks kinda depressing.

But right now I'm doing a snow scene with blues mostly and whites and beiges, looks pretty!

I'm pretty much addicted to it, so that when I go home, I spend hours doing it and I cant stop.. when its time to go to sleep, I have to force myself to stop for the night, because I just want to do another row!

I consider it making artwork with thread.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM

I love cross stitch, too. I did so many things I ran out of people to give things to, and I haven't done much for years. Any for years. But I'm sort of starting to think cross stitch would be a better thing to take on down to our winter place than knitting - because knitting takes so much paraphanalia (I do loom knitting). Once you get all your colors together for a cross stitch project, you don't need a lot of other stuff, except that I did it with a frame. I think these days I would need one of those big bright lights, too, though.

Old 11-21-2017, 01:35 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
I once saw someone in NY advertising on Craigslist for someone to do a cross stitch for them because they loved the scene but didn't know how or didn't have the time to do it themselves. You might be able to feed your addictions and help a few people with unfinished cross stitch projects if you ask around. I wish I could be so single-minded.

But I'm with Gentlearts - if I had another life I'd be a master tailor and I'd do every kind of needlework ever. Maybe I'd do some embroidery on all the clothes I made (which would all fit for a change). In my spare time I could take up tatting and lace making. I worked with someone who married a Spaniard and she told me stories of watching the ladies in Spain sitting on the sidewalk with bobbins of thread and hand weaving lace. She had a shawl that she bought from them and she let me wear it at a function for an hour and it was amazing.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Have any of you missed doing Crewel ? Did it just go 'out of style'?

I did a lot of it several years ago, and would like to get back to doing some -- cannot find it anywhere. Nothing in catalogs either.

Old 11-22-2017, 12:26 PM

Just finished a huge long post and realized at the end I was talking about needlepoint, not crewel! So I've deleted all that - but I do think crewel patterns still exist. Try online (you probably have already).

You know what = I'd try lots of Sally Ann's and thrift shops and look in their books/magazine sections. I'll bet you might find lots of crewel patterns there.

Last edited by ndcairngorm; 11-22-2017 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: add para.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Have any of you missed doing Crewel ? Did it just go 'out of style'?

I did a lot of it several years ago, and would like to get back to doing some -- cannot find it anywhere. Nothing in catalogs either.
Yes, I did crewel embroidery and it was much more beautiful than cross stitch.
I made this crewel replica between husbands, so that must have been about 1978-1980. Sorry it is sideways.

Funnily enough, I met the sister of the friend of a friend, who had married a Dutch man, and so, had lived in the Netherlands. She visited my house and had also made the exact same embroidery.
It is a Williamsburg replica.

LOL, I think of it as a tribute to my younger eyes.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation