Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am so happy to see this thread -- I was beginning to think I was the only one that did handwork

I knit, sew, embroider, quilt, crazy quilt and cross stitch (all left handed). I sold at craft shows for about 10 years and quit when all the shows around here seemed to be full of "party plan" stuff and jewelry.

I'm currently working on about 3 applique quilts (all at one time), two gigantic cross stitch projects (Heaven & Earth designs) and a fantasy crazy quilt. Here's one of the blocks:

https://imgur.com/a/ZJ1c7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2017, 02:06 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Wow, that's gorgeous! Good for you!

Old 11-30-2017, 03:32 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post
Hello everyone! I am so happy to see this thread -- I was beginning to think I was the only one that did handwork

I knit, sew, embroider, quilt, crazy quilt and cross stitch (all left handed). I sold at craft shows for about 10 years and quit when all the shows around here seemed to be full of "party plan" stuff and jewelry.

I'm currently working on about 3 applique quilts (all at one time), two gigantic cross stitch projects (Heaven & Earth designs) and a fantasy crazy quilt. Here's one of the blocks:

Stunning ! you are very talented.

Old 11-30-2017, 05:08 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
That is amazing work! I wouldn't know where to begin on that kind of project. Not surprising, since my quilting skills are rather rudimentary.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:25 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How true; sometimes I think those of us who have more than one hobby zero in on one for a long time and get burnout. Then we go on to another and do the same thing over and over. I've been burned out on quilting large items; so I started doing quilted handbags and got burned out on those also. These days I may be getting burned out on knitting I may have to take my creative side back to the 70's when I loved doing crewel when my girls were napping.

Just go with the flow may be the best solution.
Next to my desk/computer setup I have a chair and half couch. Both have storage. Both are full of yarn. And the other stuff is intermixed with the storage for the computer stuff. And I always have a cross stitch project. It's all origional design. And on the drawer with the desk is a mix of scissors and pens and chochet hooks. On the crate the laptop sits are jewelry projects, mostly finished. The needles for hand sewing or stitching are stuck through the necklaces.

Messy? To some. Perfectly ordered to me.

I started after my older stuff was lost in moving by just starting with a design and with all the yarn there to look at, could pick it out so much better, so that's when the yarn got the storage area. Also, there is a LOT of it. I do very detailed tapestires too, all freefrom as I'm inspried based on available inspiration.

Crafting a dying hobby? Sure not here. And if it was why would Walmart devote a couple of whole isles for it?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:28 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Looks like a fairy tale piece!

And even the most humble of quilts has a tale to tell. In the attic I have a couple that some number of aunts made for warmth and not for show. As a child I loved to sit on the quilt, point and tell the story of Grandma's Sunday dress, uncle's new wool suit, somebody's sun dress and my flannel "pony" shirt. Odds and ends of a family's need and wants all stitched together and tied with red yarn.

The bedrooms were cold in those days but once Grandma weighed me down with one of those multipounders I was sure to stay warm and, without a doubt, tucked. in. the. bed. Sleeping under that quilt was like sleeping under a lot of loving care.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:43 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,685,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Stunning ! you are very talented.

Thank you for the kind comments.

I admire those of you who can knit garments. I can only knit socks. I have trouble with pattern directions.

And those of you who design your own original projects -- a big thumbs up to you!

Old 12-01-2017, 03:01 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,557,959 times
601halfdozen0theother

What's your current sewing or textile arts project or problem?

Collect and resell womens vintage clothing, from 1930s, through '70s. With exception to Edith Flaggs invention of polyester the textiles are amazing, but rarely perfect. The sewing machines a permanent fixture, this yr my granddaughter took an interest during summer vacation making handbags from my reminents pile.
To break things up a bit decided to start xewing project and still in the process of collecting various types of wool sweaters for a repurposed quilt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red On The Noodle View Post

Patience is a virtue...love the theme; gorgeous handwork!

Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Here’s the jumper I made for my yet to be born granddaughter.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:08 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 06:56 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here’s the jumper I made for my yet to be born granddaughter.

That little jumper is darling! VERY nice work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation