Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2018, 01:14 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times

Advertisements

I have Pfaff. I've had it since the 90s and replaced it with another Pfaff. My NYC repair guy, who saw all brands, and professional as well as home machines, recommends it, along with Janome. He says the hallmark of a good machine is that the cheapest one is made as well as the highest-priced one in their line.

If you have the money I don't know of anyone who ever complained about a Bernina. But it's a lot of money and also a lot of features like embroidery that you have to decide if you are going to use.

Don't buy a Brother because you see it on Project Runway. Don't buy a Juki because their industrials are great. Don't buy a Singer for any reason.

Was that any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:22 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

Was that any help?
Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you. I think a good repair guy can give an honest recommendation. We had a Singer growing up--you don't know how awful it is until you get a really good machine.

I will look into the Pfaff.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Yes, it was very helpful. Thank you. I think a good repair guy can give an honest recommendation. We had a Singer growing up--you don't know how awful it is until you get a really good machine.

I will look into the Pfaff.
I guess it depends on when you grew up. Singer was once the only way to go, and they traded on the name for quite some time, but no more. I had sewing teachers who would only recommend the old Singer industrials. I guess things change. My favorite thing on the Pfaff is the built-in dual feed, like a walking foot. I've never had to worry about what kinds of fabrics I was using, thick or thin and slippery. Now that I've moved, the sewing center near me is all about Janome. They sell nothing else.

Old 01-28-2018, 02:41 PM

Which Pfaff do you have?

I did look at Bernina today. Tomorrow I am going to look at Pfaff.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM

I have a model 1467 from the 90s and a new quilt expressions 4.2. The old one is my go-to machine and the new one I'm not familiar enough with yet to tell you how I feel, but they sell this one to dressmakers and people who run their machines endlessly because it holds up. It also has a knee pedal so you can keep both hands on your work. I don't much care how many stitches they do because I use the straight and zigzag stitch 99% of the time.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:17 PM

Thanks. I looked at them today. My head is spinning with all the information. As the information filters down--at the end of the day, like you I just the straight stitch and zigzag stitch 99% the time. I did see a pretty simple Bernina today, the 350, I think it might fit all my requirements. It is very light, which concerns me a bit. Found a couple of Bernina groups on FB, which have been helpful. I want a good machine, I would like to stay under $2000. Way back when, I would sew everyday and sew all my own clothes. Now I just mend, alter and make small projects. Sewing will always be in my heart.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:51 PM

You'll find one and it'll work out in the end. As long as you're sewing. Oh, I wanted a buttonhole stitch, too, since I had to have 99 stitches I didn't want. Let me know what you pick in the end.

Old 02-21-2018, 05:06 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I finally finished knitting my Martha Stewart going home from jail poncho, just in time for the 80 degree weather here in GA.
I decided to switch gears and do a crewel embroidery project. I ordered a vintage kit from eBay yesterday, and can’t wait to get started. It will eventually be a pillow cover for the living room. Embroidery + sewing, Love, Love.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:16 AM

4,610 posts, read 3,304,325 times
I finished my loom knit pullover and have started another one - trying to get both done for daughter's birthday at start of April - while the weather's so she can still wear them this year! I think I'll manage. Have put the cross stitch aside to do these.

Gentlearts, what does your kit look like? What picture I mean. (Your poncho will be waiting, all nice and new, for next year)

Old 02-21-2018, 07:36 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,050,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I finally finished knitting my Martha Stewart going home from jail poncho.
I saw someone wearing this recently---it was really cute! I think it also comes in a crochet version.

It's on my list to do----along with about 50 other patterns I want to try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation