Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 12:07 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Hi refugee, the yarn is already variegated; I divided the ball in half last night and decided to just make short sleeves. I've got some white that I could have used to make the sleeves if I'd thought about it. Already got one sleeve done. However, I'm going to try your idea of color blocks on something else - I've got so many scraps of yarn, and plenty of the same thickness. I kind of like the idea of using color blocks and interspersing them with white blocks.

The last sweater I did was using yarn that gradually went at the beginning of the ball from the very lightest salmon tinted white to a deep salmon. Never again. To get things to match at the seams and sleeves, etc., I drove myself crazy doing three rows of this shade and three more of a slightly darker shade, etc. because the balls didn't start at the same depth of color. When I finally finished I had about a dozen small balls of each tint. I gave the sweater away and will never know if all that work was appreciated! (Guess that wasn't the idea but I was using a lot of epithets and not deleting them while I was knitting that one)
I can picture that yarn and that sounds like such a major headache. However, the leftovers sound like something fun to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 12:29 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I’ve got two projects in the forefront. I’m having a knee replacement in a few weeks, so I want have some things to do. Both Christmas gifts.

One is a knitted bulky cowl that can be worn either as a neck warmer, or be pulled over the shoulders. If I like how it turns out, I’ll make a few more.

Second, I have a baby granddaughter and I saw a cute denim jacket online, that said, “BABE” on the back. It is $68.!! Needless to say, I’m not spending $68. on a jacket for a baby, so I plan to appliqué the back of an $18. jacket out of some calico material.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:23 PM

4,614 posts, read 3,306,005 times
That'll be cuter anyway!

Old 10-19-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I’ve got two projects in the forefront. I’m having a knee replacement in a few weeks, so I want have some things to do. Both Christmas gifts.

One is a knitted bulky cowl that can be worn either as a neck warmer, or be pulled over the shoulders. If I like how it turns out, I’ll make a few more.

Second, I have a baby granddaughter and I saw a cute denim jacket online, that said, “BABE” on the back. It is $68.!! Needless to say, I’m not spending $68. on a jacket for a baby, so I plan to appliqué the back of an $18. jacket out of some calico material.
I finished the jacket today. I think it turned out cute.

Last edited by gentlearts; 12-24-2020 at 07:09 AM..

Old 10-19-2018, 04:46 PM

Very nice. Did you have your knee op yet? Good luck, if not.

Old 10-20-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Very nice. Did you have your knee op yet? Good luck, if not.
Yes, I did. It is doing well, but now the other one needs done.

Old 10-20-2018, 11:46 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
Quote:
So cute!! Nice work.

Good luck with the knees.

Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did. It is doing well, but now the other one needs done.
That so often happens. The good knee does all the work when the bad one is hurting; then IT needs done.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:57 AM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Quote:
Nice work, gentlearts. All those loving little Grandma stitches.

I don't have anything creative going on in the sewing department at the present. I'm just "opening up" a lined aubergine duster I ordered to make a few adjustments.

It's not something I enjoy doing but I don't care to pay the price of alteration when I can do it myself.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got under the lining to see how well constructed the garment is. That's a rarity these days.

It's going to be fun wearing this and I'm glad the styles are lengthening again. I found a pair of ombre ankle boots that match perfectly.

And we're going to a wedding for a change instead of the more common funeral.

Old 10-21-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Nice work, gentlearts. All those loving little Grandma stitches.

I don't have anything creative going on in the sewing department at the present. I'm just "opening up" a lined aubergine duster I ordered to make a few adjustments.

It's not something I enjoy doing but I don't care to pay the price of alteration when I can do it myself.

I was pleasantly surprised when I got under the lining to see how well constructed the garment is. That's a rarity these days.

It's going to be fun wearing this and I'm glad the styles are lengthening again. I found a pair of ombre ankle boots that match perfectly.

And we're going to a wedding for a change instead of the more common funeral.
That sound pretty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation