Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 05:26 PM

8 posts, read 25,669 times

Advertisements

Anyone here build plastic model cars? Buy/Sell/Trade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,076 times
Any information on anyone that builds old style light bars for police cars?

Old 02-24-2010, 06:57 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
I have a closet full of plastic models that I want to assemble someday, though each day it looks like that will never happen. *sigh*

Old 02-24-2010, 07:12 PM

874 posts, read 2,874,855 times
I work on plastic car models quite often. I usually work on two or three at a time. I will paint parts on one while waiting for paint or glue to dry on another one so this way I can keep working without stopping. I am not an expert but each one tends to come out better than the last. The more time I spend on a model the better it comes out. It usually takes me about two months to finish one if I spend about five hours each week doing it.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:42 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I work on plastic car models quite often. I usually work on two or three at a time. I will paint parts on one while waiting for paint or glue to dry on another one so this way I can keep working without stopping. I am not an expert but each one tends to come out better than the last. The more time I spend on a model the better it comes out. It usually takes me about two months to finish one if I spend about five hours each week doing it.
Do have any pictures you can post here ? That many hours, I bet they really look good..

When I was a youngster I used to put in working head and tail lights in mine...I used flash light bulbs...

Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Do have any pictures you can post here ? That many hours, I bet they really look good..

When I was a youngster I used to put in working head and tail lights in mine...I used flash light bulbs...
I do not have any pictures of any of the models at this time. They come out good but not like the ones you see in the model magazines. Most of them get ruined after about a month of being built since my five year old winds up playing with them.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:06 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egobop View Post
I do not have any pictures of any of the models at this time. They come out good but not like the ones you see in the model magazines. Most of them get ruined after about a month of being built since my five year old winds up playing with them.
But that are display.....not playing...lol

Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 AM

I try telling him that we should keep them nice on a shelf but he insists he will be careful and the inevitable happens. He enjoys playing with them too much for me to not allow him to. He also enjoys watching me build them and hands me things while I am doing it. I also must say that he does actually try to play with them gently. It usually takes a few days of him playing with one for something to fall off.

I also have a real 1968 Chrysler Newport two door hardtop in the driveway that my five year old enjoys helping me with. He hands me tools, holds things for me and can name things such as the alternator, transmission, headers, battery, intake, starter, etc. I do not let him play with the Newport though-lol. The car has a 383 big block which has extensive work done to it. I put Edelbrock aluminum heads, TTI headers, a Purple cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, Speed Demon carb., MSD billet distributor and ignition set-up, etc. The car is pretty much finished other than it is sitting in primer waiting for me to pay for a paint job. When I got the car there were only two small rot holes, one on each quarter panel and they have both been patched with metal; no Bondo filled holes on the car. I have to change the rear wheel cylinders for the brakes, get a leak in the radiator repaired (I already pulled the radiator and am looking for a good radiator place) and I have to get the headlights working. I believe the headlight problem is going to be the switch but I have not had a chance to check all of the wiring yet. It has been a pretty brutal winter here so I have not been able to do much in the driveway. I am hoping to have everything done and the car on the road by the end of the spring.

I have never seen a 1968 Newport model but if I find one I will buy it and make sure I do a job on it. I do not know why but I have always liked owning car models of cars that I actually own. That would be one model that I would not be able to let my son play with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation