Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,734 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever watched that show on the Travel Channel - Cash and Treasures?

I'm thinking about taking a little vacation to one of the emerald, sapphire or ruby mines in North Carolina - search for gems. Or even panning for gold in California.

Anyone have this as a hobby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:27 PM

27 posts, read 129,641 times
I Looooooove Rhat show. I've already been to Gem Mountain in Montana a few times. She really didn't give them enough play, but that's where i heard of the place from. Right there in Philipsburg, MT

I'm gonna get to go look for jade in Big Sur California in a month or 2.

And I Sooooo want to go look for Emeralds in Emerald Hollow Mine, just off Old Mountain Road in Hiddenite, NC It just costs so darn much right now.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:01 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,377,609 times
You can pan for gold in Dahlonega, Ga. where the first big gold strike occured prior to the California one. The US mint struck coins there at one time. I forget the name of the organization but there is land in GA and NC where you can pan and camp for a small yearly fee and it isn't over run like the camps out west. Even southern TN has a river known for gold content.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,394 times
My husband was very fascinated by prospecting as a young boy and has recently decided he wants to 'rediscover the magic'. So I now have this huge sluice box hanging in my garage and gold panning catalogs stacking up by the dozen. Then he decided to actually build his own metal detector while he's at it. Most of my jewelry and silverware and other random metal-y things have been pulled out for test runs.... so there's shrill beep beep beeps resounding all over my house, lol. I admit, I don't get it. Not at all. The thrill of the hunt maybe?

But I'll have to check out this Cash and Treasures show as I've never heard of it. Is it more gem oriented? Which I could maybe get down with. Rubies are pretty nice.

And it sounds much more watchable than "Gold Fever"--a show on the Outdoor Channel that I swear, if you watch it just once you'll never get the theme song out of your head. Ever!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:00 AM

1,015 posts, read 2,162,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J_Cody View Post
I Looooooove Rhat show. I've already been to Gem Mountain in Montana a few times. She really didn't give them enough play, but that's where i heard of the place from. Right there in Philipsburg, MT

I'm gonna get to go look for jade in Big Sur California in a month or 2.

And I Sooooo want to go look for Emeralds in Emerald Hollow Mine, just off Old Mountain Road in Hiddenite, NC It just costs so darn much right now.
Hiddenite - that's were I want to go! I'd much rather go mining on my vacation than sit on some stupid beach and bake, or go to Disney. Plus, I like getting down and dirty - it sounds more like an adventure!

Old 08-11-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
My husband was very fascinated by prospecting as a young boy and has recently decided he wants to 'rediscover the magic'. So I now have this huge sluice box hanging in my garage and gold panning catalogs stacking up by the dozen. Then he decided to actually build his own metal detector while he's at it. Most of my jewelry and silverware and other random metal-y things have been pulled out for test runs.... so there's shrill beep beep beeps resounding all over my house, lol. I admit, I don't get it. Not at all. The thrill of the hunt maybe?

But I'll have to check out this Cash and Treasures show as I've never heard of it. Is it more gem oriented? Which I could maybe get down with. Rubies are pretty nice.

And it sounds much more watchable than "Gold Fever"--a show on the Outdoor Channel that I swear, if you watch it just once you'll never get the theme song out of your head. Ever!
Nope. It's got all kinds of neat stuff! Cival War relics, old west gall bottles, fossils, mushrooms, TONS of stuff! You gottta check it out.Cash & Treasures Podcast -Travel Channel Podcasts - Travel Channel

Old 08-11-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
Hiddenite - that's were I want to go! I'd much rather go mining on my vacation than sit on some stupid beach and bake, or go to Disney. Plus, I like getting down and dirty - it sounds more like an adventure!

I KNOW! Adventure! Right?! How cool is it to take a clump of dirt, and dig into it and find something cool in it? Hiddenite huh? I'll have to look at that one again. Can't remember that one. Oh! Also, Star Garnets in Idaho! That was WAY fun. The most work tho. That was a back breaking day, lol.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:19 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
I've watched that show - it's quite enjoyable. I was in San Diego on business for about a week last year when they showed an episode that featured the Pala tourmaline mine, which is near Palomar Mountain. I decided to make a day of it over the weekend and drove up to the mine, then up to the observatory (I'm also an amateur astronomer). It was a great day overall.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:33 PM

Very Nice. Did you find anything fun? At either site?
The only kicker to finding gems is getting the work done on them. I found a cheap gem cutter here in Arizona luckily. I think I need to invest in some classes.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:55 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
They don't let you in the mines, but you can buy a bag of dirt (gravel from the mines) and sift through it there, or take it home. I bought a couple bags and built a sifter to use - the whole family had fun sitting in the backyard picking out shiny bits of rock. They also have a small souvenir shop, where they sold pieces from their mines, as well as stuff they imported. Lots of nice specimens there.

The observatory was very interesting, but there's not a lot to see. You can walk around the grounds and walk through the public areas of the observatory itself, but you can't get near the best parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation