Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 01:25 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
It's definitely better hockey than people tend to expect, though it's traditionally been something of a two team tournament, with Canada and the USA being far ahead of the rest of the world. I think the Scandanavian hockey countries and the Russians are slowly catching up, though.
Yes, womens hockey is improving. It will get better as the other countries allow women to do stuff like drive, vote, and hold jobs in times other than wartime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,939,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Yes, womens hockey is improving. It will get better as the other countries allow women to do stuff like drive, vote, and hold jobs in times other than wartime.
Lol. Not sure what excuse the Swedes can use, though. I guess their women just aren't very good.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Wow, the U.S. women are fast! They're making the Swiss look like a peewee team.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:03 AM

Great game this morning between the U.S. and Canada women. The U.S. women are fast, but the Canadian women are fast and physical.

The Canadians' second goal was a bit controversial - the U.S. goalie thought she'd covered it, but it slid underneath her and the question was: Did the whistle blow before or after the puck crossed the goal line? The refs reviewed it and said after. Never a dull moment when these two teams meet.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
It's definitely better hockey than people tend to expect, though it's traditionally been something of a two team tournament, with Canada and the USA being far ahead of the rest of the world. I think the Scandanavian hockey countries and the Russians are slowly catching up, though.
Sweden won the gold in 2006, they are elite. Russia has elite talent but didn't look like they wanted to play in 2010 once they started getting hit by Canada. I don't think that will happen this year, they are at home. Finland is good every Olympics and seem to always medal. I actually put the US as the 3rd or 4th best team in terms of talent. USA is no way "far ahead" of Sweden, Russia, or Finland, and Slovakia and the Czechs are right there. Now I'm not sure how good Slovenia is, and Norway is not quite there yet.......

For people who say "yawn"..some of the best hockey games I've ever seen have been in the Olympics, and not just 1980...1998 czech/Canada shootout with Hasek, 2006 gold medal game, and 2010 gold medal game all fantastic. Once you get the bad teams out, you have some high quality stuff.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Sweden won the gold in 2006, they are elite. Russia has elite talent but didn't look like they wanted to play in 2010 once they started getting hit by Canada. I don't think that will happen this year, they are at home. Finland is good every Olympics and seem to always medal. I actually put the US as the 3rd or 4th best team in terms of talent. USA is no way "far ahead" of Sweden, Russia, or Finland, and Slovakia and the Czechs are right there. Now I'm not sure how good Slovenia is, and Norway is not quite there yet.......

For people who say "yawn"..some of the best hockey games I've ever seen have been in the Olympics, and not just 1980...1998 czech/Canada shootout with Hasek, 2006 gold medal game, and 2010 gold medal game all fantastic. Once you get the bad teams out, you have some high quality stuff.
While you have a point about men's Olympic hockey, Stubblejumper's comment was about women's hockey ...

Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Great game this morning between the U.S. and Canada women. The U.S. women are fast, but the Canadian women are fast and physical.

The Canadians' second goal was a bit controversial - the U.S. goalie thought she'd covered it, but it slid underneath her and the question was: Did the whistle blow before or after the puck crossed the goal line? The refs reviewed it and said after. Never a dull moment when these two teams meet.
I didn't think the officiating was up to par. The officials in the men's games are usually great.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 AM

I'm not sure I can handle Mike Emrick this early in the morning ...

Old 02-13-2014, 06:34 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm not sure I can handle Mike Emrick this early in the morning ...
Really hard on the ears. Why not just let Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth take this one?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:37 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
Quote:
There's a few high profile players sitting this one out.

Canada's lack of Stamkos is unnerving. St. Louis is a great player and certainly deserves to be on that team, but Stamkos is such a unique talent. I don't know if there's a better goal scorer in the game, save Ovechkin, maybe.

The Swedes are missing Henrik Sedin, too. While they're a strong, deep, team too, I can't help but wonder how much that loss will affect his brother, as well.

Of all the injuries I think Gaborik and Koivu are the biggest. Unlike Sweden and Canada, the current talent pool of Slovakia and Finland seem to be lacking. Those two guys would make a huge difference.

Last edited by Grizzly Addams; 02-13-2014 at 07:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey