Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2008, 04:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
I think it's ridiculous that the Blackhawks and Red Wings are in the Western Conference, which leaves them playing their old Original Six rivals only once or twice a year yet having dozens of dates with Anaheim and Columbus. .
I could go for this in a heartbeat. I'm in Dallas and a HUGE Stars fan and have been a STH for over 10 years. We have a HUGE fan base yet I'm even tired of going to the games night after night to see the Stars play the same teams over and over and over and over and over.......... ENOUGH of playing the Coyotes, Ducks, Kings....... I want to see more of the older franchise teams come to town.

Yes, EVERYONE would have heck to pay IF ANYONE even thought of moving the Stars out of Dallas. That AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! The Stars have been successfull in Dallas from day one w/ the fans. It's not just the transplants down here that are into it but MANY of us Natives are digging it . Because of the popularity the youth ice hockey leagues and adult leagues have exploded. We now have a lot of ice in the Dallas area but not near enough to accomodate them. I'll take hockey anyday over other sports. The Stars have been so good at marketing the team and getting a loyal following that other newer franchise teams have even seeking advice from them for years. Look at the stands when you see a game from PHX or LAX on tv......... they are half empty. Even when one of them might win The Cup they still won't see the loyal fan base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 09:48 AM

184 posts, read 551,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I could go for this in a heartbeat. I'm in Dallas and a HUGE Stars fan and have been a STH for over 10 years. We have a HUGE fan base yet I'm even tired of going to the games night after night to see the Stars play the same teams over and over and over and over and over.......... ENOUGH of playing the Coyotes, Ducks, Kings....... I want to see more of the older franchise teams come to town.

Yes, EVERYONE would have heck to pay IF ANYONE even thought of moving the Stars out of Dallas. That AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!! The Stars have been successfull in Dallas from day one w/ the fans. It's not just the transplants down here that are into it but MANY of us Natives are digging it . Because of the popularity the youth ice hockey leagues and adult leagues have exploded. We now have a lot of ice in the Dallas area but not near enough to accomodate them. I'll take hockey anyday over other sports. The Stars have been so good at marketing the team and getting a loyal following that other newer franchise teams have even seeking advice from them for years. Look at the stands when you see a game from PHX or LAX on tv......... they are half empty. Even when one of them might win The Cup they still won't see the loyal fan base.
I remember back in 1999 when the Stars were on their way to wining the Stanley Cup. During their playoff run there was an explosion of mini Stars flags on every vehicle in town. It was the first time I saw Hockey mania in Texas.

Before that many people were Stars fans, no doubt. But it wasn't to that degree. I even remember during that playoff run there were many Stars "Fans" who still didn't know much about Hockey...saying things like: "Its kind of like soccer but on ice, isn't it?" Being a die-hard hockey and soccer fan that always made me laugh.

But yeah, the Stars are now a major part of the Dallas sports scene...even more popular I would say than the Rangers, about equal to the Mavericks but of course light years behind the Cowboys.

It would take a major financial collapse for the Stars to leave Dallas. I think they are staying for good. Especially now that Minnesota have their own team again....BTW: I was a fan of the original North Stars before they EVER came down to Dallas.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I remember back in 1999 when the Stars were on their way to wining the Stanley Cup. During their playoff run there was an explosion of mini Stars flags on every vehicle in town. It was the first time I saw Hockey mania in Texas.

Before that many people were Stars fans, no doubt. But it wasn't to that degree. I even remember during that playoff run there were many Stars "Fans" who still didn't know much about Hockey...saying things like: "Its kind of like soccer but on ice, isn't it?" Being a die-hard hockey and soccer fan that always made me laugh.

But yeah, the Stars are now a major part of the Dallas sports scene...even more popular I would say than the Rangers, about equal to the Mavericks but of course light years behind the Cowboys.

It would take a major financial collapse for the Stars to leave Dallas. I think they are staying for good. Especially now that Minnesota have their own team again....BTW: I was a fan of the original North Stars before they EVER came down to Dallas.

Yep, and I can say I'm probably one of the people you saw w/ the car Stars Flag I had the one on the house too! We also proudly waved our toilet seat covers in Reunion Arena when the white rally towels did not get shipped.

You know.......... you'd think that some of the people from more tradiitional hockey cities would be more "up" on the rules of hockey but I've found that is not the case. Last year there were a couple of knucklehead fans from Detriot sitting by us and they were carrying on to no end and cussing at the ref's because they did not call a "two line pass". So this Dallas girl turns to them FINALLY and says, "boys, even my 8 year old Native Texan GIRL knows the two line pass rule was done away with".

Old 03-14-2008, 04:14 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Yep, and I can say I'm probably one of the people you saw w/ the car Stars Flag I had the one on the house too! We also proudly waved our toilet seat covers in Reunion Arena when the white rally towels did not get shipped.

You know.......... you'd think that some of the people from more tradiitional hockey cities would be more "up" on the rules of hockey but I've found that is not the case. Last year there were a couple of knucklehead fans from Detriot sitting by us and they were carrying on to no end and cussing at the ref's because they did not call a "two line pass". So this Dallas girl turns to them FINALLY and says, "boys, even my 8 year old Native Texan GIRL knows the two line pass rule was done away with".
Sounds like typical Detroilet fans. And while Dallas might have some hardcore fans here and there, most of the fans in Dallas are the types of fans WE here in the Original 6 cities laugh at. You guys and your goofy thundersticks, ridiculous "we are nowwwww on the powerrrrrr playyyyy" announcements, etc.

Old 03-14-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Sounds like typical Detroilet fans.
LOL!!! I'll have to use that one. I call them the "Pink Wings". Now they are officially the
Detroilet Pink Wings

Old 03-15-2008, 10:31 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,430,380 times
Charlotte...we already average 6000 attendance for a AA ECHL team. The Charlotte Observer recently found that 2/3 of residents here are from up north, so I think an NHL franchise would do well, but it won't happen any time soon, though with the banks there are enough sponsors. I would like to see a couple more Canadian teams myself.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,576,168 times
London Ontario!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
LOL!!! I'll have to use that one. I call them the "Pink Wings". Now they are officially the
Detroilet Pink Wings
Let see... in Chicago theyre known as the Detroilet Dead Things, the Detoilet Dead Wangs, etc, etc.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:02 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Indianapolis over KC??? Indy isn't much further north, not of any significance anyway, than Kansas City....if that's some sort of criteria for hockey. Milwaukee is more genuinely "north" than either of those, and might appreciate hockey more, if they can stop thinking about the Packers for a few seconds from time to time.
Indianapolis did bring in over 12,000 fans for a USHL Tier 1 minor league hockey game this year. I know that is not the same thing as bringing in 16,000 for an NHL game, but there is a market for hockey in Indianapolis. There is no arena though, and there is no way the taxpayers will support another arena, nor would they support reconfiguring Conseco for hockey. So do not worry, Indy will not be landing an NHL team any time soon.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:21 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
I think the NHL needs to eliminate some teams before adding more. Adding 4 new teams would dilute the talent pool. Seattle and Quebec would be good markets to add, since Quebec already had the Nordiques, but I don't think the NHL could survive as a 34 team league.
I could see two more teams, to bring it up to 32. Then you can divide each conference into four divisions of four teams each, like in the NFL. The division champs all get home ice in the playoffs, and ONLY half of the league would make the playoffs, instead of the small majority that qualify now.

Scheduling would be easy and more balanced. 8 games against every team in the division (24), and one home/one away against every other team in the league (56). Yes, I'd like to see more interconference play. And yes, that totals only 80 games, but that's enough.

I'd like to see Canada get at least one team. Winnipeg would be top on my list. Also, someone in the PNW, either Seattle or Portland. Portland would probably be more likely, since Vancouver might complain about a Seattle team moving in on its territory. Of course, I could be wrong about that ... do the Canucks draw a lot of their fanbase from Seattle???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey