Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 3,304 times

Advertisements

It's a cheapened way to build homes now. I also feel if you need to hide in your house (a home invasion or children playing hide-n-seek, for example) that would be hard. Open plans cost a lot more to heat/air condition even when the house is properly insulated. I don't like those houses at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx_unknown View Post
It's a cheapened way to build homes now. I also feel if you need to hide in your house (a home invasion or children playing hide-n-seek, for example) that would be hard. Open plans cost a lot more to heat/air condition even when the house is properly insulated. I don't like those houses at all.

I'm not sure how it is cheaper....

it cost me a bunch more money to get the structural steel and microlams and to bury it in the ceiling to achieve an open floorplan. it would have been much cheaper if I included a dropped header and a main supporting wall.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:00 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,912,487 times
I love the open floor plan. I am a better cook because of it.

I don't feel "banished" to the kitchen like the "little woman" when we have company. I can prepare my meals and still feel very much a part of the social exchange. I also spend more time cleaning my kitchen etc because I can multi task... clean while watching (or at least listening to ) TV. I can also talk to my family while in the kitchen working and it is not an inconvenience to talk... no having to sit on the hard kitchen chairs while talking to me... DH can lounge on the couch and talk to me while I am cooking or baking.

I can easily help DD with homework at the kitchen table (in the kitchen nook) and still keep an eye on dinner.

I don't burn food as much now.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:42 AM

218 posts, read 799,364 times
I'm not a fan of one giant room and that's it, I'm more a fan of a modified open floor plan. A kitchen that opens to a family/hearth room is lovely imo! I enjoy being in the kitchen and having a space for friends/family to hang out while I'm in there makes it nicer for me than being alone in the kitchen while everyone else is hanging out elsewhere. It's also nice for my seasonal kitchen adventures (summer canning and holiday baking) as I tend to have more stamina and get more help with those activities when there's TV and conversation in the background. Love being in the kitchen but it gets lonely hanging out by yourself for hours on end for days!

I'm in the process of purchasing a place and all the rooms are seperate and because of the layout, it's not a house you could easily open up either. The flow of the house is really nice though and the rooms are nicely sized (for the most part) so I don't believe it will be too confining. I am a little sad that the kitchen is only "open" (via the door!) to the dining room but it's not the end of the world.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
I have a very open floor plan. For entertaining it is great, but I have come to be annoyed with it for day to day living. I would rather have a quiet tv/family room.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:09 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,597,475 times
I'm with the OP on this one - grew up in a brick house with separate rooms and that's what I still prefer today.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:12 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Default Has open-concept living space gone too far?

When I reno'd my kitchen last year more than one person assumed I would knock down the wall that separated the kitchen from the dining area. But I did not, and chose instead to recess a 32" ultra-thin Samsung TV into that wall (on the kitchen side) and mount a 32" x 55" granite counter-height tabletop beneath it. It is supported by matching 12" deep cabinets and has a transluscent fan suspended from the high vaulted ceiling. The original wall does not rise to the ceiling and the kitchen has double sliders out to a large semi-enclosed patio, giving a very large feel to the space.

My question is: Does anyone think that open-concept has gone too far, and that a little separation is often a good thing? Have some of these super-big homes with "island chains" jumped the shark?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:20 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,665,596 times
No it has not gone too far. As a Professional Designer for over 3 decades, I have seen many many fads and styles come and go. Some outlasted others but always changed or just simply disappeared. Even people's taste for larger homes still won't die and that trend is only a dozen years old. If the bigger the better.........then too big is just right. Right?

If you walked into as many homes as I did over time you'd realize how terrible floor plans really were back some time ago. Closed in hallways just eating up precious usable square footage. Stupid unnecessary walls serving no purpose. Closets not even deep enough to use standard hangers. Garages that can't even fit a modern day SUV. ......and so on.

No that open feel will not die. I don't see it. Changes come and go but some changes are simply better and will not go away.

Old 11-28-2012, 05:09 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
I dislike open floor plans myself, but to each his/her own.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM

22,592 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I dislike open floor plans myself, but to each his/her own.
Me too!

I especially like my separate dining room, and I would not want to move to a house without one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating