Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 01:59 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I don't think practical things tend to go out of style. It is comfortable to be able to look straight ahead from a sitting position at a television. Putting a television to the side while your furniture faces another direction is just silly.

Sitting on the couch looking straight ahead and having to tilt your head even slightly up or raising your eyes up, is not comfortable, especially if you are watching television for a long period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 02:01 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
Yeah, I basically have realized that I need to mount the thing over the fireplace or put it on a stand on the mantle. If I put it on the opposite wall, it will get hit by a door and I'll be forced to place a couch in front of the fireplace, which is really bizarre.

Obviously it is your place of dwelling and you can do what you want, but I wonder where the previous people that lived there put their television?????

Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Sitting on the couch looking straight ahead and having to tilt your head even slightly up or raising your eyes up, is not comfortable, especially if you are watching television for a long period of time.
Well, we have had our television over our mantle for 2 1/2 years and it is completely comfortable. I can see that some may mount their television too high to be comfortable but ours is not too high for us. I don't think you can make sweeping generalities about something that is so subjective.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
OP, I would pay heed to Cats advice, she knows exactly what she was talking about, and has great taste.
On another note, some of the folks posting on this thread need to bother to read everything the OP has written, not just read one or two posts and dash off an ill-informed reply.
Thirdly, from the floor plan the OP so thoughtfully provided, it looks as though the sofa can be floated in the room far enough back from the fireplace to avoid having to look up.
I would add 2 chairs facing each other, flanking the sofa, to make a classic "C" type seating arrangement.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,591,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
If this was your own home I would warn against putting a TV over the fireplace -- even if it is non- working it generally ends up too high to be comfortable to watch.

There are lots of nice pieces of furniture that would hold the tv either on a "arm" or a table type stand.
Agree! We decided against wall mount, because it was a strain on our neck and eyes! A flat screen table allows you to move things around, when and if you get tired of the same ole lay out!

Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 PM

230 posts, read 621,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Obviously it is your place of dwelling and you can do what you want, but I wonder where the previous people that lived there put their television?????
They didn't have a television. That's the problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
Agree! We decided against wall mount, because it was a strain on our neck and eyes! A flat screen table allows you to move things around, when and if you get tired of the same ole lay out!
There's nowhere to put a flat screen table.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OP, I would pay heed to Cats advice, she knows exactly what she was talking about, and has great taste.
On another note, some of the folks posting on this thread need to bother to read everything the OP has written, not just read one or two posts and dash off an ill-informed reply.
Thirdly, from the floor plan the OP so thoughtfully provided, it looks as though the sofa can be floated in the room far enough back from the fireplace to avoid having to look up.
I would add 2 chairs facing each other, flanking the sofa, to make a classic "C" type seating arrangement.
Thank you thank you thank you! You and Cat are the only ones that seem to have read my post. I think I'm going to get an electrician in to see what we can do with a wall mount or possibly a mantle stand and if we can just drill an outlet and one of those cable things to the left of the fireplace and than we can hide our wii and all the wires in a pretty little cabinet.That way the couch won't be in front of the fireplace and we won't also be watching a TV facing sideways.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
How long is the wall by the front door? Open the door all the way and then measure the door to the end of the wall. From the pictures (and I know photos are not always revealing) it looks like you have enough space.
There's room to squeeze in some sort of stand (approx. 72") but than we'd have to place the couch in from of the fireplace or place the couch in front of the windows, which would look awkward for TV viewing. Plus, the glass paneling on the front door would reveal a flat screen.
I'm more and more for just sticking the damn thing on the fireplace by any means necessary.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 472,890 times
Let us know how it turns out-- if you can, please post pictures! As I said, we have the same problem (it's an old house from the 30's), and maybe we can revert to our original idea to mount the TV above the fireplace--right now, we're thinking to put it against the stair railings (a bit awkaward, but that's where the current owners have their TV). Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating