Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingsoon2020 View Post
Thank you thank you thank you! You and Cat are the only ones that seem to have read my post. I think I'm going to get an electrician in to see what we can do with a wall mount or possibly a mantle stand and if we can just drill an outlet and one of those cable things to the left of the fireplace and than we can hide our wii and all the wires in a pretty little cabinet.That way the couch won't be in front of the fireplace and we won't also be watching a TV facing sideways.
You're welcome, I'm an interior designer, and while I am certainly not infallible, I pay close attention when someone has a problem.
You're going to need an electrician for sure, with only one outlet in the LR, yikes!
I am working on an older home with a long-term client, we have had to ahve the electrician in several times for additional wiring, its really not that big a deal, just make you get someone reputable that knows not to put too big a load on one single breaker, which in older homes, can certainly be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:30 PM

230 posts, read 621,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md565 View Post
Let us know how it turns out-- if you can, please post pictures! As I said, we have the same problem (it's an old house from the 30's), and maybe we can revert to our original idea to mount the TV above the fireplace--right now, we're thinking to put it against the stair railings (a bit awkaward, but that's where the current owners have their TV). Good luck!
Absolutely, might take about 2 weeks as our TV is in transit but will definitely send you a pic of the results!

Old 01-17-2011, 04:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Thank you kshe95girl. You make a good point (well, you are a professional good point-maker :-) - our couch is far back enough so that we don't have neck strain. Movingsoon - good luck to you. I hope you are able to come up with a solution that is satisfactory to you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:48 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Just one thing though, even if the TV mounted over the fireplace, but where does the cable box go? I could never figure out where people put it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:01 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I agree a tv over the fireplace can work. I have seen it done beautifully and then oh my, some really bad jobs as well. In my house, it would be too high. My neighbors installed theirs over the fireplace. For one they have the same type of fireplace I do and it is too high but also they just mounted it so all the cords run down the wall, across the top of the mantel and down the side. It looks pretty awful. My mother did the same thing. She asked my brother to install it and when I went home to visit, it looked terrible! He installed it close to the ceiling and it reminds me of a hospital room. She also has the cords running down the wall.

72 inches on that one wall is more than enough to put a tv on. I understand your concerns of it being by the front door. As a previous landlord, I will be honest, I would not allow my tenants to anchor a tv on the wall. I would make sure they are okay with it. People have strong emotions about their homes even if they no longer live there anymore. If they do not believe in tv, you may be surprised by their reaction. I would make sure to get permission first.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Just one thing though, even if the TV mounted over the fireplace, but where does the cable box go? I could never figure out where people put it.
Ours is on our book case with books next to it (built-ins next to the fireplace)...it is low and slim and hardly noticed.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Ours is on our book case with books next to it (built-ins next to the fireplace)...it is low and slim and hardly noticed.
Oh, that's a good idea.

I have a small flat screen in my bedroom and I had the problem with the cable box also, so I made 2 shelfs instead of one, and slid the ugly cable box on the bottom shelf and the TV on the top shelf, (the shelfs just clear the cable box) so it sort of dissapears, and I trimmed both shelfs with fancy molding and have it stained to match the furniture, came out good.

I just wish these cable boxes were even smaller though, they are ugly.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Oh, that's a good idea.

I have a small flat screen in my bedroom and I had the problem with the cable box also, so I made 2 shelfs instead of one, and slid the ugly cable box on the bottom shelf and the TV on the top shelf, (the shelfs just clear the cable box) so it sort of dissapears, and I trimmed both shelfs with fancy molding and have it stained to match the furniture, came out good.

I just wish these cable boxes were even smaller though, they are ugly.
Lets face it, electronics are ugly, period.
I always try to camouflage them.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lets face it, electronics are ugly, period.
I always try to camouflage them.
I agree, they really are.

The nice thing about the flat screens is they use so much less space and can be hung on the wall.....but then the freaking cable box has to go somewhere, thus now having the shelf to put it on....

Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I agree, they really are.

The nice thing about the flat screens is they use so much less space and can be hung on the wall.....but then the freaking cable box has to go somewhere, thus now having the shelf to put it on....
I know the technology is available to do a wifi sort of thing for cable, if it can be done for computers, why not TVs?
That would solve a lot of problems, but I am sure we wont see it anytime soon.
I wont hold my breath, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating