Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:13 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Thank you!

Looks like Ikea will probably be my first choice for cheap throwaway furniture from now on.
Just understand that their products are engineered for the price tag, and the cheapest item in a grouping is usually the cheapest constructed. FWIW, I once bought a Kullen dresser (complete but in parts) for $5 out of the AS-IS, and even then, I felt like I paid too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 02:49 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Just understand that their products are engineered for the price tag, and the cheapest item in a grouping is usually the cheapest constructed. FWIW, I once bought a Kullen dresser (complete but in parts) for $5 out of the AS-IS, and even then, I felt like I paid too much.
I'm pretty selective about what I buy from Ikea. I don't buy complete and utter crap.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Ha......you were fooled!!!!!!!!!
Martha Stewart cabinets are made by Masterbrand Cabinets. It is a Masterbrand cabinet through and through except they stamp Marths's name in the drawers. They are made in Jasper, Indiana. All on the same assembly line.

But no it is not affordable, at least when you buy it from the big orange who only wants your little green. If you find Masterbrand in a small kitchen showroom they most likely discount from list price.......unlike the big box stores.

Dude, you are so beyond annoying sometimes.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:52 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well if you feel that way ... but he's right.

FWIW, I don't agree with all his opinions either (ie. framed vs. frameless ) - afterall, this is a public forum, and everyone has different tastes. However, his knowledge and years of experience in the industry, that's shared for free here, is always welcome.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:50 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Annoying? I feel you might just be a tad jealous. That's ok, I don't mind. What did you not like about that post? It was factual, non threatening and non confrontational. So tell me what fact you disagree with

Oh and I'm not a dude. I am not a surfer or a teenager.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:54 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,662,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narfcake View Post
Well if you feel that way ... but he's right.

FWIW, I don't agree with all his opinions either (ie. framed vs. frameless ) - afterall, this is a public forum, and everyone has different tastes. However, his knowledge and years of experience in the industry, that's shared for free here, is always welcome.
Thanks my friend. Using you example of framed VS frameless, I never call one good and one bad. I do tell the audience I do not like frameless. That is an opinion. I like framed, that is an opinion. But when what I say is a fact, I do let my audience know that too. I'm not sure what it was I said about Martha Stewart Cabinets that offended that person. Guess we shall see.

Masterbrand which makes Martha Stewart cabinets are a pretty damn good brand. You'll just pay more when Martha has her name stamped on the drawers insides.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:58 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
Quote:

...it ain't with ya.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:39 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,592 times
Quote:

Old 03-26-2011, 04:19 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Believe it or not, I happen to agree with him a lot of the time, I just find him to be somewhat insufferable. Yes, he knows his stuff, but he is also a bit out of touch and he's stuck in his little Texas box when it comes to design and trends.

Desert, you didn't offend me, but I think sometimes you distort things. Do I personally advocate for people to go to Home Depot and buy their cabinets? Not necessarily, but I do think it's a VALID option. You can get your point across without coming off like a tool though. I'm not saying that as constructive criticism, not to be mean. Why would I be jealous? I will concede you know more about cabinets (even though I was a member of the NKBA once upon a time) than I ever will. That doesn't bother me. It's just the way you share that knowledge that's annoying.

Apparently, I'm not a alone in thinking so because I received quite a few kudos.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:51 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,347,184 times
HD may not be the cheapest, but it isn't the most expensive either. I priced out my kitchen at an "independant" place and Home depot. HD was cheaper for the same stuff.

eventually I went a custom cabinetmaker route. not b/c it was cheaper, but b/c I was getting a better product.

in my last house we put in an Ikea kitchen. I like frameless, so that was a plus, the drawer boxes and glides I loved, even the pull out baskets. my only complaints were relating to the doors that I picked. they were white painted MDF. after a few years they certian heavy wear areas were chipping. I also ran into a problem getting "good" doors from them, a few had thin paint in spots, or an air bubble, and I had to get replacements (which they did without real issue). Also the styling is limited.

if I were looking for an inexpensive cabinet I would use them again, although I'd be careful about the doorstyle picked. I couldn't find a door that I really really liked for the "new" house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating