Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:34 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,186,581 times

Advertisements

I see it all of the time in peoples homes, in person and on HGTV.

I always thought It looked funny and not to mention, it's too high.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 12:23 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Depends on the size of the room. I've hung a couple for customers where it worked well, but they were in long living rooms (think 25'x12'). Then again, I've talked a couple of customers out of it, due to the space limitations of their rooms. Personally, I think it looks good (in some situations), but isn't the best idea for comfortable watching in most cases. If you want to impress company with how in style you are, go for it. However, if you spend a lot of time holding down the couch watching TV, you might want to rethink it.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Agree with OP. Too high. Looks funny.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:01 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
I'm probably in the minority here, but I happen to like the look. I'm not a fan of entertainment centers, tv stands, etc. I think mounting a tv above the fireplace is a clean, uncluttered look.

I've seen other arrangements for tvs that are tasteful and attractive, but currently, mounting above the fireplace works for us. I think the placement of our sofa works with the height of the tv, so it's not at all uncomfortable. I might detest it in a couple of years and go for another look.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:13 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JT View Post
I'm probably in the minority here, but I happen to like the look. I'm not a fan of entertainment centers, tv stands, etc. I think mounting a tv above the fireplace is a clean, uncluttered look.

If that's the limit of your er, focus... then sure.

But if the intent is to actually sit in that room in regular seating and watch a movie for two hours...
or even the news for 30 minutes then the other more practical (ergonomic) considerations should apply.

YMMV

Old 06-06-2011, 10:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,095,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
If that's the limit of your er, focus... then sure.

But if the intent is to actually sit in that room in regular seating and watch a movie for two hours...
or even the news for 30 minutes then the other more practical (ergonomic) considerations should apply.

YMMV
But I also mentioned that the placement of our sofa works well with the height of the tv. We watch movies, the news, football games, etc. in the room. It's not a problem at all. So "er," it's comfortable and works well for us.

But as you said, YMMV.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:26 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Default I got your Feng Shui right here.

Avoid placing the TV above the fire place.

Unless you watch TV standing up, a TV should be placed at or slightly above seated eye level in spite of how the placement throws the balance of the wall out of equilibrium.

TV and HDTV FAQ

Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
It is too high. It dos look stupid.
it will be a dated thing in about 10 yeatrs.

and BTW, when everyone had console televisions there was laways a place to put it, yet for some reason now, noone can figure out where to put the Tv so it gets hung over the fireplace.

I say get rid of the fireplace and bring back the consoles. they were like a piece of furniture and IMO look better.

I hate the look of the flatscreen over the fireplace.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I say get rid of the fireplace and bring back the consoles. they were like a piece of furniture and IMO look better.
what the world needs are another million or so attractive, unwanted and most importantly inexpensive armoire's of sufficient width to house a wide/flat screen TV... as well as the traditional width worked with analog models.

:sigh:

Old 06-06-2011, 12:18 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
I think the reason people put their big TVs over the fireplace has to do with whether you want the fireplace to be the "focal point," and thus have all the furniture arranged around it, or whether you want the TV precisely where it needs to be for you to see it in relationship to where you'd like the furniture to be. I watch from my couch, I like my sofa to be in a certain place that is familiar to me and doesn't stick out, then husband's easy chair has to be situated in a good place in relationship to the couch, and then the TV is put in the usual but practical and often attractive cabinet, which I suppose the TV cabinet could be considered the "focal point," but for example in the house we're in now, the focal point is the big window you can look out of when you come in the front door, nice view and light. Now, all this important thinking is coming from someone who does not have a fireplace but wants one, and I spend time occasionally thinking about where in the world am I gonna put that fireplace!?! It'll be too close to the TV (burn it up) if I put it to one side of the cabinet, can't put it in front of the window, easy chair, couch, and doors use up all the other spaces. Sigh. Guess we'll put the fireplace in the kitchen, maybe, but all those wooden cabinets might burn up. Maybe we should put the TV cabinet over the fireplace?!? Yeah, yeah, that's it, that's it!!! Always put the TV cabinet over the fireplace. Smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating