Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Are you a man, desert? I'm sure men (or handy women) look at different things than we unhandy people do. I do notice cheap and bad DIY too, but I cut some slack for people who can't afford a professional, or are trying to learn.

I should add that I have nothing against plastic, metal, concrete, or other modern materials when used properly. I'm all for new and innovative materials which can be better than the old ways. Just don't try to make plastic look like wood, or stained glass windows, or ceramic tile. etc, etc.
Yea I'm a man except when I'm teaching the ladies moves in dance class. Then I become a lady. I was giving my thoughts from an over 30 year career as a Designer. Yea I too should give some slack to those who can't afford to hire a professional but most often when Joe Schmo tries something their self they end up causing themselves more harm then good and they still have to hire a pro in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 02:34 PM

672 posts, read 2,113,924 times
Quote:
Yikes, you just reminded me of when my SIL (clueless at decorating) ran wallpaper horizontally around a room.
I couldn't hang out at that house either

Another decorating mistake I just thought of is not using a level.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:58 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yea I'm a man except when I'm teaching the ladies moves in dance class. Then I become a lady. I was giving my thoughts from an over 30 year career as a Designer. Yea I too should give some slack to those who can't afford to hire a professional but most often when Joe Schmo tries something their self they end up causing themselves more harm then good and they still have to hire a pro in the end.
Although I do not agree with Desertsun on some things I do agree I have seen some pretty horrific DIY jobs myself. I have seen people cut pesky beams out of the way not realizing its essential to the stability of the home's construction. Cutting molding is an art and I have seen some really bad chair rail jobs as well as crown molding. One of my pet peeves is bad paint jobs as well.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually...I just hung a few sheer panels in my bedroom to frame a 9' window. They look good!
I believe they do, as long as they are the correct length...to the top of the window sill, or to the floor, and there are enough panels to span the entire window? If not, wince.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
OH THANKS for the visuals, fallingwater, now I'll never be able to sleep again. I agree, the worst thing ever invented is verticle blinds, and fake plants.
LOL. If you ever stepped foot into my Step Mother n law's homes you would have OCD overload. She is by far the absolute worst decorator I have ever seen. She asked me once what I thought her style was. I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to say, "umm....deranged brothel?"

Let me give you a visual of her house of horrors. The house they used to own (they are now in a retirement moblie home park) had a large formal living room with lovely windows. She wallpapered all the window moldings with a black shiny wallpaper with bright vibrant flowers of orange, hot pink and white. She then papered the walls in a pale pink and white striped pattern. The window treatments were a mauve lace. Every wall had something hung on it. Family photos with oak frames (nothing else in the room was oak), native american artwork and a large print of a Geisha. Fake plants galore. The furniture was vintage but in a bad way. The buttoned sofa was a dark green velvet that has seen better days and the wood frame of the sofa was gold. Then my FIL's lazy boy with a hunter green plaid pattern. I didn't know if I should throw up or have a stroke. It was major mental overload. I wish I could say she just had to deal with old furniture due to money etc but she actually picked this crap out.

When they moved into their trailer she said she wanted to simplify her life. They ripped out all the carpeting and replaced it all with cheap vinyl sticky tiles. I mean everywhere in the living room, kitchen, hallway, bedrooms...etc. All her furniture is beige vinyl, the walls are paneling and all the sticky tiles are beige but of different patterns. Each room had a different design. The problem is the trailer is open concept. She then decided to collect dolls and each one was put into a plexi glass case. The walls were lined with cheap shelving and countless dolls everywhere. Its really creepy to sit in their house. I feel like I have all those dolls eyes watching me. The worst part though? Every time I see her she tries to pawn off old decor items on me. "Here honey, this artwork would look great in your house!" I politely and firmly tell her no but she still gives it to me anyway. One of these days she is going to come over and expect to see all the stuff she has given me but it wont be here.

Old 07-10-2011, 03:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Art hung too high or too low or that is the incorrect size, garish paint colors, too small area rugs, too small chandeliers, chandeliers hung too high, a lack of reading lamps in rooms where people might want to read, rooms overrun with too many electronics, a "theme" gone mad, guestrooms where the comfort of the guest is never considered, counches with pull out food trays, big over-stuffed micro-fiber couches. Big fake trees or big fake plants covered with dust (or clean for that matter), rooms with too many or too few accessories, overdone pseudo "Victorian" anything. I'm also getting really sick of all those "Paris" pillows, "Paris" signs and fake "Paris" everything.

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-10-2011 at 03:37 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
LOL. If you ever stepped foot into my Step Mother n law's homes you would have OCD overload. She is by far the absolute worst decorator I have ever seen. She asked me once what I thought her style was. I had to bite my tongue because I wanted to say, "umm....deranged brothel?"

Let me give you a visual of her house of horrors. The house they used to own (they are now in a retirement moblie home park) had a large formal living room with lovely windows. She wallpapered all the window moldings with a black shiny wallpaper with bright vibrant flowers of orange, hot pink and white. She then papered the walls in a pale pink and white striped pattern. The window treatments were a mauve lace. Every wall had something hung on it. Family photos with oak frames (nothing else in the room was oak), native american artwork and a large print of a Geisha. Fake plants galore. The furniture was vintage but in a bad way. The buttoned sofa was a dark green velvet that has seen better days and the wood frame of the sofa was gold. Then my FIL's lazy boy with a hunter green plaid pattern. I didn't know if I should throw up or have a stroke. It was major mental overload. I wish I could say she just had to deal with old furniture due to money etc but she actually picked this crap out.

When they moved into their trailer she said she wanted to simplify her life. They ripped out all the carpeting and replaced it all with cheap vinyl sticky tiles. I mean everywhere in the living room, kitchen, hallway, bedrooms...etc. All her furniture is beige vinyl, the walls are paneling and all the sticky tiles are beige but of different patterns. Each room had a different design. The problem is the trailer is open concept. She then decided to collect dolls and each one was put into a plexi glass case. The walls were lined with cheap shelving and countless dolls everywhere. Its really creepy to sit in their house. I feel like I have all those dolls eyes watching me. The worst part though? Every time I see her she tries to pawn off old decor items on me. "Here honey, this artwork would look great in your house!" I politely and firmly tell her no but she still gives it to me anyway. One of these days she is going to come over and expect to see all the stuff she has given me but it wont be here.
LOL - I got the visual big time - oh my! I just took two tylenol

Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
LOL - I got the visual big time - oh my! I just took two tylenol
ha ha.

Old 07-10-2011, 05:59 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

I just had to have another Manhattan..

Old 07-10-2011, 06:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Falling water, that is HILARIOUS. Some people just have no taste. My latest pet peeeves are:
1. Cheap DIY - especially in beautiful houses. Stick on tiles are evil: http://www.bz1-img.com/images_custom...63275_full.jpg

2. BIG artwork at back-level and lower over those decorative benches. Pretty but impractical.
http://eclecticrevisited.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/foyer-art-abstract-walls-decorating-deas-home-decor-blue-black-bench-painting-eclectic-home-decorating-ideas-valentino-interior.jpg (broken link)
3. Cheap Furniture - Especially in large or expensive houses.
I get the feeling these people cleaned out WalMart or the dollar store to decorate their expensive house: 111 Forge Haven Dr, Perry Hall, MD 21128 MLS# bc7611683 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating