Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 08:05 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,303 times

Advertisements

Gentlearts the lighted twigs have been surfacing in the MD area for a few years and I love them. I put a set in a tall vase full of Eucalyptus, set it in a dark corner of a hallway and put it on a timer to turn on at night. The tiny lights totally make that arrangement.

Some people may think it's tacky, but I don't. Now they are coming out with "flowers" that light up on branches (Forsythia, cherry blossoms, etc.) and I feel they are pushing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes:

My biggest pet peeve is people (designers?) who think that just because something is different that it is the cat's pajamas.

Case in point: the first episode of this year's "Design Star", one of the contestants chose a coffee table made from/finished with car tires. Vern Yip et. al. went on and on about how awesome that coffee table was, and the whole time I was thinking, "man, that is ugly and tacky". It seems to me to be a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

It happens with colors, fabrics, etc. It doesn't matter if it's ugly; all that matters is it is new.

OTHER peeves:
--Ceilings that are anything but smooth.
--Ugly (IMO) lamps.
--Sacrificing practicality for a look (like my MIL who put seagrass rugs everywhere and no one will walk barefoot in her house and her grandbabies have scratched up knees and hands from crawling on them).
--Having a gigantic bathtub and a water heater inadequate to fill it (more of a construction issue, but still).
--Writers/editors at magazines like "Traditional Home" who write things like "although their new home is modest, at just 5200 SF, it lives like a large home". I think these people are clueless as to how the majority of people live. Or they will write an article on "decorating in this tough economy", so here is a sofa that is only $8,000.
--Brown trim/woodwork is not my taste. I like white.
--Vertical blinds.
--Flourescent lights in the home (and they aren't so great other places).

I AM GUILTY OF:
--I like some wallpaper.
--I have faux topiaries cuz I can't keep real ones alive.
--I love white, cream, ivory, etc. and can't get enough of it EXCEPT on my walls.
--I mix different shades of blue (is that really so bad?)
--I have pictures of my kids out (but in only one room and the frames are nice).

My house would look way different if 1) I didn't rent it and 2) I had the money to get different/new things.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:32 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
Default This is the Tire Coffee Table

It's not as bad as I first thought, but I still wouldn't choose it. I wouldn't say it was the best thing EV-AH, like the judges did.

Ah well, to each his own.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:13 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,139,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

It's not as bad as I first thought, but I still wouldn't choose it. I wouldn't say it was the best thing EV-AH, like the judges did.

It's cool looking. Would I put it in my living room? Probably not as I feel something like that needs to be in a modern decor arrangement. It's a fad. Fads can be fun as long as the person who picks it realizes it has a short life span. Design Star like most reality tv as it has to be over the top. They are looking for designers to really stretch the imagination. Kind of like the fashion shows. Recently the new swimwear designers had a show. Feathers was the big hit. Really? Feathers on a bikini? Of course no one is going to buy it, its just for show.

Most people can over look one bad thing, but the collection of bad things together is what really throws it all into the spiral of bad taste. I like family photographs and it can be a wonderful art display if its set up properly. I have a fake Bonsai tree. It was my grandmothers and she paid as much for it as a real one (she was a plant killer). It fools everyone that sees it. They ask me how I manage to keep it alive. Now if I had several fake plants together then it kills the uniqueness of one good thing.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:18 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
I'll probably get flamed for this, but here goes:

My biggest pet peeve is people (designers?) who think that just because something is different that it is the cat's pajamas.

Case in point: the first episode of this year's "Design Star", one of the contestants chose a coffee table made from/finished with car tires. Vern Yip et. al. went on and on about how awesome that coffee table was, and the whole time I was thinking, "man, that is ugly and tacky". It seems to me to be a case of the Emperor's New Clothes.

It happens with colors, fabrics, etc. It doesn't matter if it's ugly; all that matters is it is new.

OTHER peeves:
--Ceilings that are anything but smooth.
--Ugly (IMO) lamps.
--Sacrificing practicality for a look (like my MIL who put seagrass rugs everywhere and no one will walk barefoot in her house and her grandbabies have scratched up knees and hands from crawling on them).
--Having a gigantic bathtub and a water heater inadequate to fill it (more of a construction issue, but still).
--Writers/editors at magazines like "Traditional Home" who write things like "although their new home is modest, at just 5200 SF, it lives like a large home". I think these people are clueless as to how the majority of people live. Or they will write an article on "decorating in this tough economy", so here is a sofa that is only $8,000.
--Brown trim/woodwork is not my taste. I like white.
--Vertical blinds.
--Flourescent lights in the home (and they aren't so great other places).

I AM GUILTY OF:
--I like some wallpaper.
--I have faux topiaries cuz I can't keep real ones alive.
--I love white, cream, ivory, etc. and can't get enough of it EXCEPT on my walls.
--I mix different shades of blue (is that really so bad?)
--I have pictures of my kids out (but in only one room and the frames are nice).

My house would look way different if 1) I didn't rent it and 2) I had the money to get different/new things.
I agree with everything except the brown trim thing....nothing can beat real quality wood trim.
I assume you are speaking of new construction?
I am thinking of century old homes, when the wood in the homes was still astoundingly beautiful!
FYI; that tire table is awful!!!!!!
Where is the barfing emoticon when I need it?????

Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,393,765 times
Quote:

oh gee, that would be perfect for a man-cave! LOL

Old 07-31-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
FYI; that tire table is awful!!!!!!
Where is the barfing emoticon when I need it?????
LOL. Oh come on, it's kind of cool. Just imagine it in a modern setting or a teenager's room with some funky seating.

Sadly some nim rod will buy it and place it with the furniture they inherited from grandma.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
oh gee, that would be perfect for a man-cave! LOL
That would work. A conversation piece.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:50 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
LOL. Oh come on, it's kind of cool. Just imagine it in a modern setting or a teenager's room with some funky seating.

Sadly some nim rod will buy it and place it with the furniture they inherited from grandma.
Thats the thing........its gonna be placed in totally the wrong setting, and its all downhill from there!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
Now they are coming out with "flowers" that light up on branches (Forsythia, cherry blossoms, etc.) and I feel they are pushing it.
I got some of those flowers years ago as a gag gift. They do have their place -- in my basement den. They're quite a conversation piece!

Quote:
Case in point: the first episode of this year's "Design Star", one of the contestants chose a coffee table made from/finished with car tires. Vern Yip et. al. went on and on about how awesome that coffee table was, and the whole time I was thinking, "man, that is ugly and tacky".
I'd be more inclined to think "Man, that is stinky!" As neat as that trunk is, I don't think I'd want it in my house. Maybe outside -- it certainly would be impervious to weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
nothing can beat real quality wood trim.
I have a contract out on the guy who bought my old house -- he painted all the woodwork white. . After I had refinished some of the more worn sills, etc., too! Grrrrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating