Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,987,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Just to add my 2 cents, I don't think anyone has mentioned that the counter stools are too high and look very uncomfortable. This is the kind of thing that is important to me. If you decide to keep stools rather than bins, I would get some counter height chairs with a comfortable cushion and in a style that compliments the light fixtures (ie wrought iron backs, or pewter tone or bronze, etc.)
OP said the former owner left them.
First things first, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 04:56 PM

16 posts, read 25,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
OP said the former owner left them.
First things first, you know?
Wanna knows whats worse.. is that I actually have 3 stools.. but one is shorter than the other two, and they didn't match. So the blue fabric is just some fabric I had laying around so they werne't the cracked leather looking brown they were to begin with.

We do plan on getting some nice stools with backs that actually are all the same haha. But back to the "not knowing my theme" or decorating colors.. I had no idea what kind of stools to get.. so once I get a base idea for my kitchen I will be in search of nicer stools.. Very good point though.. you are right.. they are way too high for an adult to sit on AT the counter.. work great for my 6 year old though

Old 02-04-2012, 05:08 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,663 times
Your hanging cupboard is a great storage,just buy very modern freestanding shelves for underneath that is once you have the work tops replaced and the lights changed as someone suggested track lighting is nice and gives a good warm lighting to the kitchen, a few decoraters items and it will look great. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:14 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
I agree that changing the countertops would do WONDERS in there. That teal is dragging things down. We have sand-colored laminate, and it has been great.

Definitely paint, avoid wallpaper. Love the brushed nickel hardware suggestions.

I would put something like this under the floating cabinets:

Small Kitchen Island - Small Kitchen Islands

Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I agree that changing the countertops would do WONDERS in there. That teal is dragging things down. We have sand-colored laminate, and it has been great.

Definitely paint, avoid wallpaper. Love the brushed nickel hardware suggestions.

I would put something like this under the floating cabinets:

Small Kitchen Island - Small Kitchen Islands
Very cute!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:14 PM

730 posts, read 1,313,582 times
Default Kitchen Update

Here's what we did and I loved my kitchen (we've since sold the house, but I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my current kitchen):

Paint the cabinets (have it done professionally); I used a Benjamin color named "Truffle"; get new hardware

We laminated the counters using an off white with light brown marbling; again, loved it.

We tiled the backsplash with a tumbled tile of off whites/beiges; it was gorgeous.

That was all we needed to do to perk up a very tired kitchen; in fact, when the new owners bought the house, one of their favorite rooms was the kitchen. If I can find some pictures of the kitchen, I'll post them.

Hope this helps!

Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 16,286 times
I think the kitchen cabinets are actually nice. I think you should just paint the kitchen walls a different colors (that would stand out a little - no crazy colors, though). Then I would definitely replace the countertop with something that is less colorful. Next you could change the hardware on the cabinet doors to a nickel or silver knob (or even the squarish handles are nice) and that would bring a more contemporary look to the kitchen for a lot less then replacing the cabinets.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the input.. LOVING the help!

I did manage to make one change already. swapped out the hardware for some brushed nickel knobs.. just round ones but man does it look better than those gold ones! I was able to find a used lot in excellent condition that had 32 knobs (i needed 31) on ebay for $28 including shipping. STEAL!

The other things I plan on doing is swapping out the light fixtures and painting - and then once we have some extra cash we will definately be doing the counter tops. Oh, and some new stools.

I will also be looking for a few simple decorations to throw in there and possibly a stand alone island if we don't do "countertop" shelving under the floating cabinets. The cabinets are definately sturdy and wouldn't consider replacing.

I really appretiate all the input as I was before looking at darker countertops.. but now agree that the lighter counter top would bring some needed light to the room.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna311 View Post
Thanks everyone for the input.. LOVING the help!

I did manage to make one change already. swapped out the hardware for some brushed nickel knobs.. just round ones but man does it look better than those gold ones! I was able to find a used lot in excellent condition that had 32 knobs (i needed 31) on ebay for $28 including shipping. STEAL!

The other things I plan on doing is swapping out the light fixtures and painting - and then once we have some extra cash we will definately be doing the counter tops. Oh, and some new stools.

I will also be looking for a few simple decorations to throw in there and possibly a stand alone island if we don't do "countertop" shelving under the floating cabinets. The cabinets are definately sturdy and wouldn't consider replacing.

I really appretiate all the input as I was before looking at darker countertops.. but now agree that the lighter counter top would bring some needed light to the room.
WOW--that is a great price. I might have to check out ebay-we need new cabinet hardware too.

I think if you change out the green counter and paint the walls you will have an entirely new kitchen. The previous owners must have had a desk or something under those cabinets. Maybe look at a flea market or antique store and see if you can find a chest or desk for that spot? If the budget allowed I would put in floor to ceiling pantry cabinets in place of those wall cabinets. With the smaller space kitchen and limited cabinets you would really expand your storage. I have two cabinets in my kitchen like that and I just LOVE them.

Old 02-29-2012, 01:16 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,597,654 times
If this were my kitchen, I would take out the soffitts. This would give a more open space and modern look with just a little demo and some patchwork. You can DIY this assuming there's no complicated re-working the electrical or plumbing required.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating