Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Is Stainless Still King of the Kitchen?

Whirlpool turned a few heads last week when they announced their new White Ice finish for their deluxe kitchen appliance collection. The white, mirrored-glass, silver-accented design is notable because for the first time in at least a decade, the exterior of a major-brand, top-end appliance line isn’t strictly stainless steel.

Is Stainless Still King of the Kitchen? - OvenInfo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 04:36 AM

156 posts, read 303,454 times
I love that white fridge!

I'm a realtor and I'm always hearing about the stainless/granite package and I'm personally over it (and never preferred it). People still put so much stock in it. It's refreshing to see something else trying to come out!

Our kitchen is the cherry/stainless and I don't prefer it at all. I didn't pick the scheme and can't wait to have maple or white cabinets!

I would do the white appliances with certain cabinets.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:10 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
I never liked stainless; glad that trend is ending!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I hate SS. It is ugly ugly ugly.

I don't understand why SS was the only "color" that was so pushed upon, almost like a demand...you have to have SS in order to have a kitchen....ugh !!

Years ago, we had Avacado Green, Harvest Gold, and Coppertone and White, we had a choice, none was frowned upon, nothing had to be upgraded....people picked what they liked. there was no pressure to have to have a certain color...

Then came Almond, Black and still White.....we still had a choice. I chose Black, and still have Black, and will continue to have Black, as it fits my decor...

The in comes SS, and even though we were given a choice, we sort of were not...if almost seems frowned upon (especially by HGTV land) that if you don't have SS, it just won't work....

How many times have we seen the "new home buyers" look at a new home and the owner has white, then the "new home buyers" say, Oh hunny, we will have to upgrade the appliances....

upgrade my ass, white or black still cooks the same and still keeps the milk cold. I don't know why they can't grasp that concept.

I have to say, I really thought the "Rubbed Oiled Bronze" was going to take off, I really liked it.

I for one am glad the SS is going out of style, I just wish they would take the Flat Screen over the Fireplace thing with them.....that is ugly also.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,817 times
I like many stainless appliances and realize they're not perfect. They can scratch & dent, just like all other finishes. Also, depending on the finish, you have to be vigilant about finger prints & cleaning... although that's never been a real problem for me.

I do know that many plastics tend to fade & since there are multiple panels, fade unevenly. I've never had that problem with stainless.

So, get what you like & can readily afford, it's only an appliance!

Old 08-02-2012, 01:05 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,905,466 times
No.

From the article the OP linked:
"Almost all of the upcoming major-brand premium kitchen lines will still be stainless."

I happen to like the look. It may be a bit over exposed, but I still like the look. However, things like the red washers/ dryers do look pretty cool.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Stainless steel rules....not sure what this "white ice" is...glass?...it'll never take off...least not for people who value quality and long life over looks...

Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,141 times
I only like stainless in professional kitchens, like restaurants. I don't want my home to look like a business. I need a new stove and I just can't get excited over anything right now, so I'd love to see some new choices out there.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:28 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
I really liked coppertone ... I inherited a coppertone dryer when I purchased my first house, and it worked better than any dryer I ever had.

But stainless steel? Only for the sink. I'm loving my new black fridge.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:40 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
This is just a little experiment by Whirlpool. After all, Whirlpool's luxury subsidiary Jenn-Air has a line of oil-rubbed bronze appliances, and Whirlpool just wants to try something different. Stainless steel will remain king for the forseeable future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating