Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:51 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
You mean the "poor quality factor"?
Our Crate and Barrel upholstered furniture is of excellent quality.

Quote:
I am sure that for a young person just starting out who wants something cheap and cheerful to get through a few years and then set it on the curb, it's just fine.
Not sure what you mean by "it." If you're referring to West Elm, it's not really in the same category...a better comparison would be to IKEA furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 11:54 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Our Crate and Barrel upholstered furniture is of excellent quality..
Well all righty then! How long have you had it? I have some couches that are over 25 years old and still in excellent condition. Do you think the springs and frames and stuffing on yours will be in excellent condition when it's 25 years old?

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "it." If you're referring to West Elm, it's not really in the same category...a better comparison would be to IKEA furniture.

"It" was referring to furniture that I have seen at big aggressively advertised national chains like Crate & Barrel, Rooms to Go, West Elm, Pier 1, etc. There's no comparison to names like Thomasville, Ethan Allen, etc., or the factory made furniture from USA factories in the 1940s and 1950s.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:27 PM

4,605 posts, read 6,427,227 times
Everything I have bought from Crate and Barrel has not only been aesthetically pleasing and stylish, but has lasted and held up a long time. Of course, the new stuff hasn’t had time to demonstrate endurance, but my old furniture certainly has demonstrated it.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well all righty then! How long have you had it? I have some couches that are over 25 years old and still in excellent condition. Do you think the springs and frames and stuffing on yours will be in excellent condition when it's 25 years old?

"It" was referring to furniture that I have seen at big aggressively advertised national chains like Crate & Barrel, Rooms to Go, West Elm, Pier 1, etc. There's no comparison to names like Thomasville, Ethan Allen, etc., or the factory made furniture from USA factories in the 1940s and 1950s.
I think the disconnect is that you and some of us have very different taste in furniture and decorating. I find the places you mentioned to be very old-school, starchy, drab, and uncool. I’m just more into contemporary urban, clean line furniture and Style.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:31 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Well all righty then! How long have you had it?
About 20 years. Sofa was about $2,000 back then. It still looks pretty good, and is very comfortable.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
About 20 years. Sofa was about $2,000 back then. It still looks pretty good, and is very comfortable.
And probably stylish and modern.

Old 10-12-2019, 06:15 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Quote:

Now I haven't read the full thread, but I do have to say that the key line is your last line.
That is really worth emphasizing. Same thing with appliance names. They do NOT make them like they used to (and good luck finding made in USA. ).
I bought a Thomasville sofa about 15 years ago give or take and while it was beautiful and looked good,it lasted about 8 years or so and was pretty sorry looking. I replaced it with a much lower priced Rowe sofa (also American made). My thought to be honest is that I am more comfortable buying something at a lower price point since the higher price point didn't seem to be worth it. Upholstered furniture anyway, is going to show wear and tear. Even if the 'guts" are in great shape and it needs reupholstering, it's so costly to do that now that I would sooner just get new.

Now as far as hard goods, not sure about that because all our hardgoods have lasted 20 or 30 years and look great.

In general, Pier 1 has pretty stuff but I don't think I would expect longevity from it.

Old 10-14-2019, 05:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I think the disconnect is that you and some of us have very different taste in furniture and decorating. I find the places you mentioned to be very old-school, starchy, drab, and uncool. I’m just more into contemporary urban, clean line furniture and Style.
I'm talking about construction and you're talking about style. I am sure there is plenty of high quality well-constructed furniture in modern styles. I just don't know the brand names. So I used the names I listed above as examples of quality construction, without reference to the style.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:11 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Crate and Barrel is a mixed bag - but mostly pretty good quality though. As long as you read reviews and look into the details, they offer quite a few made in USA (usually NC or VA of course) sofas and chairs that are good quality. I am very picky with furniture (My sofa is from 1983, made in North Carolina. And have had it reupholstered and re-springed and foamed a couple times. A lot of my other furniture is 50s and 60s made in USA or Made in Denmark.) and I have had very good luck with the things I have had friends or clients purchase (when I did interior design work on the side) from C&B and the things I have gotten from them over the years have been very good as well.

I have also gotten several used pieces of C&B for design clients and the pieces were in good condition - way better than other chain competitors. Surprise, surprise, they were made in NC pieces. In good shape and just ready to be reupholstered for a clients use. Springs and frames in good condition and constructed with good practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating