Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 06:07 AM

114 posts, read 851,325 times

Advertisements

We are rebuilding our little old house. We are going with the old footprint so we can save interior square footage, so it's taking some time thinking up the best option for a new layout that works well with our lifestyle. It's not exact, just a novice rendering.

Here's a first floor layout. Second floor will be a dormered attic with 2 bedrooms & a bath. We may or may not finish that portion now. So we ideally would like to create two "bedrooms" on the first floor in the interim.

It's a little over 1500 sf, and i do not know where things should/ need to go structurally (stairs, windows, headers).

We have a slight corner water view that we'd like to keep open, so that is why the kitchen is over yonder. Our family is small but growing so open layout is our preference, but i do like some separation from kitchen to living room.

Please share your thoughts on this layout. I'd love to hear good or bad.

Last edited by dewdrop74; 04-07-2013 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: photo insert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 10:56 AM

6,833 posts, read 11,581,126 times
I don't claim to have any formal education in architecture or design, but to me, it looks like the "foyer" (the area to the left of the stairs) is awfully large, relative to the rest of the house. Do you really need two doors into the office/guest room? If you eliminated the door off the kitchen, you could bring the cabinets all the way down to the exterior wall, OR use that area as a closet in the office which would allow you to "legally" call it a bedroom if you ever sold it. I imagine you just "dropped" the kitchen island onto the plan, but I would definitely move it farther away from refrigerator and possibly make it longer.

I look forward to hear what our "experts" recommend.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,163,985 times
I agree that the foyer and kitchen need to be reworked. That foyer space could be a whole other room or area, such as a study area. I'd eliminate the second door to the bedroom and move the kitchen down to that corner with an exterior wall. Have the kitchen open towards the water view, but have a wall that separates the kitchen from the entrance view. Push that back to open the foyer area even further so you can create a small study or family room where the steps/foyer is. By putting a wall along that side of the kitchen and pushing the kitchen back further, you can create some space for a small pantry too.

Really think about how open you want your open concept. Limited walls makes it hard to bring storage pieces of furniture into the space because there's nowhere to put them. Think china cabinet, buffet, credenza, etc. You might not want these things now, but you might find yourself wishing you had a place to put them when you realize you didn't create enough closet and storage space to keep all of the stuff a growing family accumulates.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:40 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,228,942 times
The office does need a closet for future resell to be a legal bedroom. And it needs a window as well. Does it have any water view as your other room indicates?

Is the kitchen plumbing in place or can you move it? It seems like the kitchen area could be moved over to the right to allow for the office and bathroom to bigger. I agree the kitchen should be viewing out the windows.

The master bedroom has a large window, or patio door? What view does it have that you want that?

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
We are rebuilding our little old house. We are going with the old footprint so we can save interior square footage, so it's taking some time thinking up the best option for a new layout that works well with our lifestyle. It's not exact, just a novice rendering.

Here's a first floor layout. Second floor will be a dormered attic with 2 bedrooms & a bath. We may or may not finish that portion now. So we ideally would like to create two "bedrooms" on the first floor in the interim.

It's a little over 1500 sf, and i do not know where things should/ need to go structurally (stairs, windows, headers).

We have a slight corner water view that we'd like to keep open, so that is why the kitchen is over yonder. Our family is small but growing so open layout is our preference, but i do like some separation from kitchen to living room.

Please share your thoughts on this layout. I'd love to hear good or bad.
I can't get past the kitchen layout. Ouch! You walk right into the house and you see a stove.

I agree that with such a small overall footprint, the foyer is a bit too big. You need the sq. feet for living.

If the stove has to stay in relatively the same space, consider putting a wall there that would funnel traffic to the left or right. That isn't my first choice in design, but seeing the stove upon entering the house is to be avoided.

You know, you can consult a designer.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:01 PM

there is a wall there, in theory so no, you wouldn't see any of the kitchen upon entering.

and the foyer area is too big.

and the reason behind the 2nd door in the office/ guest room is for my guests access to the kitchen without walking around. it's not necessary, but a lifestyle choice. when i move the kitchen back and cover that door, it really does make a nice difference - thanks for the suggestion!

and i also took the suggestion to make the foyer another room.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM

i forgot to add a washer dryer/ boiler room. we're by the water, so there is no chance for us to put it anywhere but on this floor or higher.

we can also make a "room" under the stairs as well, which is another idea, and stack the washer dryer in the bathroom corner.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I don't claim to have any formal education in architecture or design, but to me, it looks like the "foyer" (the area to the left of the stairs) is awfully large, relative to the rest of the house. Do you really need two doors into the office/guest room? If you eliminated the door off the kitchen, you could bring the cabinets all the way down to the exterior wall, OR use that area as a closet in the office which would allow you to "legally" call it a bedroom if you ever sold it. I imagine you just "dropped" the kitchen island onto the plan, but I would definitely move it farther away from refrigerator and possibly make it longer.

I look forward to hear what our "experts" recommend.
I like this suggestion...but I would also change the back door to a glass sliding door...for the best view. I might also change the dining area for your corner seating area...Or, completely move the kitchen around...at the back so that the island faces your view. I'm not sure that the stairs should be in the middle of the room. It is hard to judge without knowing how large your foyer actually is.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:42 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,256,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop74 View Post
there is a wall there, in theory so no, you wouldn't see any of the kitchen upon entering.

and the foyer area is too big.

and the reason behind the 2nd door in the office/ guest room is for my guests access to the kitchen without walking around. it's not necessary, but a lifestyle choice. when i move the kitchen back and cover that door, it really does make a nice difference - thanks for the suggestion!

and i also took the suggestion to make the foyer another room.
Wow...post #6......Much better!!

Last edited by JanND; 04-07-2013 at 07:43 PM.. Reason: edit text

Old 04-07-2013, 07:55 PM

240 posts, read 839,038 times
Using post #6, you have enough room to add another toilet and small sink in the laundry/utility area. Why have a wall dividing that area anyway? IMO get rid of that wall, and then position stuff to add in a toilet and sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating