Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you put a ceiling fan in your kitchen?
yes 31 56.36%
no 24 43.64%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 09:48 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yes, really.

I would not have said so if I did not mean it!
Are you sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:47 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,733 times
I'm with everyone else who is saying "DON'T DO IT!" I just spent 4 hours doing my annual de-grime of the kitchen ceiling fan and all the while cursing the people who installed it (previous owners). They also did not bother to vent the stove to the outside. So the stove hood vents back into the kitchen...guess where? Adjacent to the ceiling fan.

The only thing I've found that will really clean the greasy mess is straight ammonia.

Now to be fair, the kitchen is 10x10 in a fairly open floor plan which has no great need for air circulation. Just 8 feet away is another ceiling fan in the dining room. If I had a very large kitchen with very high ceilings, I might consider it for circulation, but be prepared to have to get on a tall ladder once a year to clean the blades.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:26 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I don't have a ceiling fan in the kitchen but it seems to me that if you cook with gas, you are much more likely to have gunk build-up on a kitchen ceiling fan - electric - not so much. I have a glass-top electric GE Profile range....and I don't fry foods - I have almost zero grime under the above range microwave. In our previous home that had a gas range, it was unbelievable the sticky gunk build-up under the range hood.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
We used to have a ceiling fan in a small kitchen with a gas stove and it never caused any problems and wasn't any harder to clean than fans in other rooms. There was an ill-placed AC vent in that kitched that caused much bigger problems with the gas flames.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:33 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I'm with everyone else who is saying "DON'T DO IT!" I just spent 4 hours doing my annual de-grime of the kitchen ceiling fan and all the while cursing the people who installed it (previous owners). They also did not bother to vent the stove to the outside. So the stove hood vents back into the kitchen...guess where? Adjacent to the ceiling fan.

The only thing I've found that will really clean the greasy mess is straight ammonia.

Now to be fair, the kitchen is 10x10 in a fairly open floor plan which has no great need for air circulation. Just 8 feet away is another ceiling fan in the dining room. If I had a very large kitchen with very high ceilings, I might consider it for circulation, but be prepared to have to get on a tall ladder once a year to clean the blades.
Sounds like the improperly vented stove hood is the problem, not the ceiling fan. You must get grease all over the kitchen from that. If the fan was gone....all that grease would still end up somewhere else....albeit on something easier to clean than the fan.

Also, if you don't use/hate the fan, why not swap it out for a normal kitchen ceiling light? Pretty easy to do.....a 30 minute job at most.

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
I'm with everyone else who is saying "DON'T DO IT!" I just spent 4 hours doing my annual de-grime of the kitchen ceiling fan and all the while cursing the people who installed it (previous owners). They also did not bother to vent the stove to the outside.
That CAN be remedied, unless you LIKE your annual clean-and-curse-fest!

Remove the fan; vent the stove to the outside.

Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That CAN be remedied, unless you LIKE your annual clean-and-curse-fest!
Remove the fan; vent the stove to the outside.

Agreed. I love my kitchen ceiling fan and have no grease/grime issues at all. But, if I did, I wouldnt gripe about it. My gosh, replacing it with a ceiling light is so easy. And venting to the outside should have been done years ago.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:01 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Living with a fan you don't want is hardly a necessity. Take it out and put up a light. It's easier to take a fan out than put it in, and a light is easier to install than a fan.

When I was growing up we added a ceiling fan to the kitchen over the table area, which was far from the cooking area, plus it was an electric stove anyway. We used it a lot really. The house did not have central air. Every room pretty much had a fan.

If you want a ceiling fan in the kitchen, go for it. Don't see a problem.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:30 PM

66 posts, read 220,299 times
Unless you keep your kitchen operating room clean, a ceiling fan in the kitchen is nothing more than a dust/dirt distribution system. Same goes for over the table. We removed the fan over the table area that the previous owners had installed. Just gross IMO.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,657,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
Unless you keep your kitchen operating room clean, a ceiling fan in the kitchen is nothing more than a dust/dirt distribution system. Same goes for over the table. We removed the fan over the table area that the previous owners had installed. Just gross IMO.
How is that different than any other room? There's always dust in the air anyway. If you don't like ceiling fans period I could understand that, but I fail to see what the difference is between different rooms. Dirt is everywhere already. Various other things we use without this sort of scrutiny blow the airborne dirt around as well (forced air HVAC, vacuuming, just walking around the house quickly).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating