Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 07:49 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times

Advertisements

I see now (4 hours of searching), Calling a house a Tudor is like calling a dog a dog. There are a dozen variances with different names for all the "slightly different" things, like English Cottage, Storybook, etc...

There's zero exposed woodwork in this home past the floors:

Living room

One of 2 matching bedrooms (both with fireplaces, though the "master" has an attached bath):

And the kitchen... which we would probably live with if the floor had been installed well, but the VCT is cracked/broken all over the place:

The oak floors (original) were mangled at some point so those will be refinished to a no-stain natural color. Still looking into paints, thankfully muted earthy tones are traditional. I'm an earthy kinda guy.

Thanks for the jealousy, sure beats the snot out of the 70's tri-level we're in now (but it was CHEAP and bought with every intention of being a rental).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,798,808 times
what a truly lovely home. You are going to rent it, rather than reside in it?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:49 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,403,413 times
I'd agree with "Tudor" -- Exteriors: Most Popular Housing Styles Explained

More generically it could be called "English revival brick cottage"... English Cottage Revival (1920-1950) « Recent Past Revealed or American Stone Cottages...The French - AND English - Connection!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:12 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I see now (4 hours of searching), Calling a house a Tudor is like calling a dog a dog...
You specifically asked; "what style" is this house?
The answer is "Tudor". All of those other secondary "descriptions" are nothing more than sugar-coatings fabricated by realtors to market a potential sale. It's no different than calling a house a Salt Box, a Cape Cod, a Colonial, or MCM- they're specific designs/styles. But, just because the exterior cladding is different from the "norm" doesn't change it's "style".

Old 03-18-2014, 10:25 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post

It was built in 1930 and as near as I can guess it'd be considered "English Cottage". The reason I ask is because I just managed to get it under contract today and would like to keep it "period" as best as possible. Meaning color pallets, decorating ques (lol, it'll have to mash with our current modern/mid-century stuff that we fell in love with while owning a 1950's ranch), etc...

Anyway, probably a month out from closing and just trying to gather info. Am I on with the style of the home?

Cheers,

Brian
I am not going to quarrel with whether this is a Tudor or not, but I do think it is cottagey, and you could certainly go for a cottage look complete with chintz and big soft chairs. But you might have probs trying to make your house "period perfect" unless you choose furniture and furnishings made in the 1930s. Most modern furniture is scaled larger than older furniture was, and scale is part of what would keep it in line with the time frame of your house.

Even though we could call it Tudor, you wouldn't furnish it in Tudor style furniture, even if you could find any. Think 1930s. White kitchens and white kitchen appliances. Use actual linoleum on the kitchen floors. Baths would probably have a lot of white, particularly white toilets and bathtubs and sinks. I think a black and white tile floor would be appropriate too.

For curtains, you might use lace or Priscillas, for a very old fashioned but romantic look. You could use rag rugs in places, or Oriental carpets over hardwood.

I think lampshades were much longer, covering the stems of lamps, and you could fringe the shades too, I think.

See if you can find period magazine ads from the '30s, and watch old movies on TCM for more ideas. I love noticing the furnishings in really old movies!

But make the place yours. It only has to be as period perfect as you like. It should be comfortable and aesthetically pleasing first. But I think you will have fun with this little gem of a house.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:05 AM

61,735 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
If that were the case I wouldn't have told you it was a Tudor.

^^^ Right! Clearly Tudor (cottage).

Tudor houses have many of these features:
Sloping, uneven roof, sometimes made of pseudo-thatch
Brick, stone, or stucco siding
Very steep cross gables
Prominent brick or stone chimney, often at the front near the door
Casement windows with small panes
Small dormer windows
Asymmetrical design
Low doors and arched doors
Small, irregularly-shaped rooms
Sloping walls in rooms on upper floor
Tudor Cottage House Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
1 1/2 story Cape Cod style house with English Tudor details. Very pretty house.

Last edited by elnina; 03-19-2014 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-19-2014, 06:56 AM

182 posts, read 94,386 times
tudor, English Cottage, whatever, I love it!!! It is absolutely adorable and I wish you all the luck in the world in it!!!

Old 03-19-2014, 08:16 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,423,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
what a truly lovely home. You are going to rent it, rather than reside in it?

Wait... What??? No! The house we're in right Now is the rental. It's a very "blah" 70's tri-level that we bought for cheap after spending way to long in my in-laws guest house (a 500sq/ft bare stud and uninsulated cabin). This home pictured above is where we're moving once purchased (assuming inspection doesn't turn up anything major, though I doubt it after going over the place myself) and renovations are complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You specifically asked; "what style" is this house?
The answer is "Tudor".
I'm not arguing that at all, just pointing out where my confusion had originated along with why.

Funny that I'm not sure who's more excited, my wife or myself. I certainly wasn't a "house person"/domestic before her, but now I kinda get into living in unique/different/older homes. And I think I just Might have a slight problem with renovation addiction... I know I have it with refurbishing neglected motorcycles, there's just something about taking a bike/house where prior owners have tried to do something and failed for one reason or another (knowledge, skills, tools, whatever) and putting my hand to it to make things better.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
That's an adorable house. I'd live there.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:19 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times
No ideal but love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating