Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,245 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I just bought a new home and was looking for a way to brighten it up. I will be trimming the hedges etc, but was wondering if anyone can recommend anything else. I was thinking maybe picking another color for the trim and door other than the dark brown there currently, attached are pics, please let me know what you think! Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
New house, need exterior ideas-my-house.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 03:44 PM

141 posts, read 205,871 times
Beautiful house! You might want to consider a dark green as an alternative to the brown for the trim. I'd also paint the clapboards on the porch the same as the trim color. I'd definitely paint those bright white sash on the upstairs windows to match the trim. You could do the front door a different color if you want to make it pop.

Old 06-27-2014, 04:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
I think osric has good ideas. Choose the parts you are willing to repaint. You have several surfaces that could be painted. In fact I think you could choose two colors to paint the trim, clapboard, door. I don't mind the green idea, and I think you could find a nice deep green to go with the home, but also consider the roof color. The present trim color doesn't really work well with the gray roof.

If you go green, choose a green with some gray in it, but with some contrast to the warm colored brick. It looks like the clapboards are painted a gray to harmonize with the gray of the roof but I think the two are so far apart, the harmonizing doesn't really work.

You could also choose a grayed brown or a dark taupe for the trim, or you could chooset to match the color of your roof. There are some really nice neutrals out there now. Here is a link to a nice brick Tudor with gray roof and all gray trim with a bright wood toned door. What do you think?

Here's A Charming Brick Tudor In Maple Leaf Asking $599K - On The Market - Curbed Seattle

I think you could actually use a third related color for more interest on the exterior of your home.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:30 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I agree, lovely house. Unless the trim needs to be painted, I'd leave the brown as-is for now. I wouldn't pick any color that would be a huge change, so why rock the boat if the quality of the current paint is OK. When the trim does require painting, I agree with silibran's suggestion to pick a shade to harmonize with the roof. What I'd do to brighten up for a start is to paint the front door a more welcoming color. Something plucked from the tones of the brick, but more attention-getting than the brown. Then I'd give the bushes a serious trim and put some tall pots with bright annuals on either side of the front door. You're really close to total curb-appeal.

Old 06-27-2014, 06:19 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
Very handsome house- I wouldn't change a thing for now, I agree with silibran that the grey green on the Seattle Tudor is smashing though. The only thing that seems just a little off is that the sash(?) of the upper windows in the gable are alarmingly white against all the nice ruddy earth tones elsewhere on the exterior. Are those storm windows or replacement? If they are replaced windows I would paint those the same as the other trim elements (or if they are replacement vinyl windows, I would replace with more period appropriate clad wood windows that have muntins when you have the budget; if they are just temporary storm windows with original windows of the same color behind then you are good to go.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:22 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
The trim color is actually "style" correct. You can run through 100's of "Tudor" style home pictures and the predominant trim color will be dark brown.

The upper twin window is definitely the wart. But the screen porch is not "original" either for that style- but with some gentle massaging it could "look" cohesive.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:38 PM

41,975 posts, read 75,239,807 times
What a gorgeous house! I'd paint the door a nice bright color of your choice and leave it at that.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:05 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,221,356 times
Yes, the brown is best for this classic house. And I would take off that porch yesterday. It's not original to the house and it's covering up the delightful exterior taking all the attention in a negative way.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM

50,385 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Pretty house! I would paint the porch in a color that would blend with the bricks. I would replace the upper windows, or paint them brown, rather than white.
I would not be able to resist painting the front door a nice color. I have a contemporary ranch, with about the same shade of bricks as yours, and I chose SW Cloudburst for my front door, but with your style house I would probably go with a red.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Adorable house! Personally I like the dark brown trim -as others have mentioned, it's definitely a color that would have been original and is era-appropriate.

I'd have to paint that front door (and of course get rid of the white on the upper windows). Two colors that come to mind for that front door are either 1) brick red or 2) moss green.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating