Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Boo Hoo. There are 5 of us and we are perfectly fine sharing as are many, many families in the world. Teach your boys how to aim.

love it. i too dont see the problem of waiting your turn. just how long does it take for a person to do number one, or brush your teeth. seriously?????

and just why can your guests ever use the regular bathroom, whats so secretive???? I just dont get this modern concept that guests, which are not strangers but family and friends, that they have to have their own bathroom??????

same with us, it was my and my 3 biys, sharing one bathroom, we managed.
everyone in our neighborhood managed with one bathroom for decades.....thats just the way the houses were built, you had one bathroom, becuase that's all one house needed was one bathroom....

better than an out house behind the barn.....................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:01 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
Boo Hoo. There are 5 of us and we are perfectly fine sharing as are many, many families in the world. Teach your boys how to aim.
Who gives a **** what you are "fine with." No one has to live down to your standards. People were perfectly "fine" with living in caves for centuries. Do you do that, too? God, you are ****ing rude about what other people want to do with their lives and homes.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
agreed. It has nothing to do with "managing" or "getting by". For anyone saying why does someone need a second bathroom, why do you even have one indoor bathroom? You could manage just fine with an outhouse. Why have a garage? You can manage just fine parking in the driveway. Why have a house with multiple bedrooms, you could manage with one bedroom with multiple beds and futons for kids and guests. It's all different thresholds of preferences and human comforts. No one NEEDS the guest bathroom or a guest suite, but there is also nothing criminal about PREFERRING to have one in one's own home.

This is the home interior design and decorating forum after all - many things posted here will not be based on minimum needs but personal desires or preferences. Otherwise none of us would be interested in interior design and decorating on this forum and instead be happily sitting on the floor of our unfurnished house simply happy to have a roof over our heads.

Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
agreed. It has nothing to do with "managing" or "getting by". For anyone saying why does someone need a second bathroom, why do you even have one indoor bathroom? You could manage just fine with an outhouse. Why have a garage? You can manage just fine parking in the driveway. Why have a house with multiple bedrooms, you could manage with one bedroom with multiple beds and futons for kids and guests. It's all different thresholds of preferences and human comforts. No one NEEDS the guest bathroom or a guest suite, but there is also nothing criminal about PREFERRING to have one in one's own home.

This is the home interior design and decorating forum after all - many things posted here will not be based on minimum needs but personal desires or preferences. Otherwise none of us would be interested in interior design and decorating on this forum and instead be happily sitting on the floor of our unfurnished house simply happy to have a roof over our heads.

not at all, and your right.
it is just that HGTV seems to make people feel they have to have this kind of stuff in order to sell.
it does get a tad sickening after a while, you have to admit.

years ago, people bought homes and lived in them for decades, now with HGTV it seems like they update everything and move, and are already worrying about re sale before they even move in.

besides I like the ANTI HGTV thread.

I want un-natural light coming thru my windows.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:37 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Who gives a **** what you are "fine with." No one has to live down to your standards. People were perfectly "fine" with living in caves for centuries. Do you do that, too? God, you are ****ing rude about what other people want to do with their lives and homes.
I never said someone had to live up or down to my standards. I just told the poster to have her kids learn to aim and shed/hed live fine if they had 1 bathroom.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:38 PM

41,964 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
years ago, people bought homes and lived in them for decades, now with HGTV it seems like they update everything and move, and are already worrying about re sale before they even move in.
Good point. And I don't understand the horror of sharing a bathroom - or even a sink! - with a member of your own family.

And how can anyone not cringe in disgust when some spoiled brat home buyer complains because a five-year-old house hasn't been "updated"? Seriously?

The waste in our lifestyles is repulsive, and HGTV just fuels our unsustainable consumer culture.

Quote:
I want un-natural light coming thru my windows.
Like a peeping tom with a flashlight? LOL

Old 08-11-2014, 02:57 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

hahaha

Old 08-11-2014, 03:57 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,989,141 times
Quote:
If you're fine with it then great. Personally, as a married woman and mother, who is not yet of a certain age, I am so very thankful to finally have a house with master bathroom. There have been too many times in the past where shuffling across the house or down the stairs turned out to be an ordeal. There are many personal reasons which are very valid why an adult might want a more private bathroom. People have different needs and houses have different floor plans. It works well that way!

Old 08-11-2014, 04:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Well that's your problem isn't it? My kitchen is much easier to paint. Maybe yours had a design flaw.
Nope, nothing wrong with your attitude...

Quote:
Quote:
I never said someone had to live up or down to my standards. I just told the poster to have her kids learn to aim and shed/hed live fine if they had 1 bathroom.
Who's crying? I have 2.5 bathrooms and I'm fine with that. All kinds of people have all kinds of things they don't need. I don't know why you would be so bothered that someone else has 2 bathrooms. Doesn't make much sense.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Good point. And I don't understand the horror of sharing a bathroom - or even a sink! - with a member of your own family.

And how can anyone not cringe in disgust when some spoiled brat home buyer complains because a five-year-old house hasn't been "updated"? Seriously?

The waste in our lifestyles is repulsive, and HGTV just fuels our unsustainable consumer culture.

This, I agree with. But I find cosmetic wants to be in a completely different category than functional wants. An outdated house with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms functions the same as an updated one.

I don't understand begrudging someone a 2nd or 3rd bathroom or a back splash or a second sink in the master. If they can afford it, and are paying a certain amount for a house these things should be expected. It would be hard to even find a house in my neighborhood without these things (well, not the back splash).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating