Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 06:01 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,996 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We may be inheriting a fairly new sleep number bed and was hoping to get some current users experiences. I did not realize at first that the bed we will be obtaining is a sleep number and really did not know much about them but as I have read a little more not sure I really want it as it sounds like it could have potential issues such as leaking, hard to move and sleeps hot. Without really knowing about sleep numbers I didn't realize that these are essentially air mattresses that require to be plugged in all the time. Are they noisy is another question if the pump needs to maintain an air pressure? Would really just appreciate any info- thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,650,987 times
I've tried about every bed there is, including the sleep number nonsense. Leaking is definitely a problem. You can't set it and forget it. It requires constant attention to the settings. They're too expensive for how imperfect they are. And they do sleep hot because there's no air flow in the mattress -- unless you count the leaks.

Out of every bed I've ever tried, I finally found the absolute perfect one for me. It's cheap, too. Ikea non-spring mattresses are the best. They never sag and all have a 25 year warranty. One thing I've learned is that you can rely on the product being only as good as it's warranty. I've had the same Ikea mattress now for about 12 years. Looks and feels exactly the same as when I bought it.

One thing I have to give Sleep Number credit for, though, is their body pillows. I got mine on sale from $60 to $20. Absolutely love it. Good body pillows are very hard to find.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:23 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
If you need a really firm sleep surface, run away from this bed. The theory of the bed is that your hot spots, i.e. where your hips or shoulders for example, contact the bed should be less firm. That makes sense right? except that in order to achieve less stress on those parts, the bed has to be able to envelope the areas around those parts. Which ultimately means you have a very soft bed.

It may be for you but it was so awful for us that it cost us $189 to send it back which we were only too happy to get rid of it. They are very quiet even the pump. I did find it hard to get comfortable but I can easily sleep on a hard surface.
Good luck,

Old 08-27-2014, 08:43 PM

989 posts, read 2,855,994 times
Love my sleep number bed! I have the split king with adjustable/massage base. It is the best bed I've ever had. It holds air so it doesn't need to be adjusted unless you want to change the firmness. It ranges from super firm to almost hammock-like. The pump only operates when increasing the pressure. If you are decreasing pressure it makes clicking noises until it reaches the lower number. In between there is no pump noise. The bed just stays plugged in all the time to maintain the firmness set. I love it. It's the best bed I've ever owned. And mine is probably 8 years old.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:52 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
Love my sleep number bed! I have the split king with adjustable/massage base. It is the best bed I've ever had. It holds air so it doesn't need to be adjusted unless you want to change the firmness. It ranges from super firm to almost hammock-like. The pump only operates when increasing the pressure. If you are decreasing pressure it makes clicking noises until it reaches the lower number. In between there is no pump noise. The bed just stays plugged in all the time to maintain the firmness set. I love it. It's the best bed I've ever owned. And mine is probably 8 years old.
Just out of curiosity, what is your number? I bought mine 4 years ago and it was not firm enough for me. I always ask people who have them and love them their sleep number. It seems almost without failing, that if you like a somewhat less firm bed you are happy with the select comfort. I have personal friends that only stay at hotels with select comfort beds and swear by them. They however, like a softer bed than we do. We have the ultra firm mattress now and love it.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
We've had a California King Sleep Number for about 13 years and have had no problems with it. My wife and I love it. I don't like really firm mattresses so I keep my number low.

Also I don't detect any pump noises but I have really bad tinnitus.

Old 08-28-2014, 05:52 AM

Thanks for the info everyone. One more question as I do not have the instructions, where do I disconnect the hoses, at the pump or the bed? The bed is still assembled and have not had a real opportunity to see the assembly.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:12 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times
It's been so long since we set our bed up, I don't remember the details of the assembly but try this site: Customer Service: Bed & Mattress Assembly | Sleep Number

Old 08-29-2014, 05:56 AM

Thanks for all your help, moved the bed yesterday and just let the air come out of it and rehooked the pump up. Took a bit to fill but it works. First impression, it's nice but I'm glad I did not have to pay for it because I would probably just buy a normal mattress. I think it will grow on me in time, I'm just a person that feels the more gadgets the more that breaks. Do appreciate all the feedback though.

Old 08-29-2014, 04:05 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,787,792 times
no offense to owners but i tried one at the store and it seemed really gimmicky

they first said ok this is soft setting, it was really spongy, then they "increased the stiffness" and all i felt was some weird bars under my back getting closer...was weird and not comfortable

but to each his own!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating