Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 08:19 AM

99 posts, read 109,698 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide which appliances to get for our kitchen remodel. We are looking at lower-mid priced appliances, nothing super expensive.

After much research, reading what others have to say and talking to a few sales people at different appliance stores, I've been leaning towards the kitchenaid 25 cu ft French door refrigerator, 30" gas convection slide-in range and dishwasher.

As of now, I still think the Kitchenaid fridge will be fine, but I've heard a lot of bad things about the slide-in range. I'm not sure how good the dishwasher is. I haven't done any research on it yet.

I like the look of the range, but after hearing so many bad things about it, plus hearing that the black ceramic top scratches, I need advice on another brand that is really good. I don't need anything fancy. Just a gas range/oven combo that works well and has convection.

Also, I'd love black appliances, but the black scratch badly. I don't care for stainless and they are a pain to keep clean. Fingerprints would really bother me. Besides, we have an old log home, and I really don't think stainless would look right with our style. We have a stainless Gladiator in the garage, and I have yet to find something that will clean it well. It has fingerprints and streaks all over it. Yes, I know about the fake stainless fridges, but they all scratch and no magnets. I've also heard of the white ice, but hear it's very modern and isn't very popular(Don't know if they scratch easily like the black?)

Right now, our appliances are the old white(textured fridge and glass top stove). Both clean up easily and there are no problems with magnets on the fridge.

I've been told to get a cheaper fridge at an outlet store and paint it. I don't care for that.

We are going with medium colored hickory cabinets with a weathered look. I don't care about resale, since we will be here for a long time or forever.

I'm looking for advice on a very good 30" gas convection slide in range that just works well for everyday family cooking and once in awhile baking(Don't need the bells and whistles) and what color fridge to get(would love a black textured FD, but only a couple lower end brands make one).

If you have appliances that you've had for awhile that work well and you are happy with the color, please advise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Last edited by Kathy246; 10-01-2014 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 09:42 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,823,179 times
We have had the older version of
Products - Ranges - Slide-in Ranges - HDI8054U
and are happy with it.
Stainless and black. Dual fuel.

For a dishwasher, I would recommend Bosch. Just get one with a list price of >$999.
Have owned 3 Bosch dishwashers. The only one I was not happy with was the one the builder installed (too cheap and noisy).

Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM

If anyone else has any appliances you've had for awhile and really like, please let me know. Thanks!

Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Black shows fingerprints like crazy. Anyone just thinks about opening the refrigerator door and, I swear, it instantly makes fingerprints all on it's own. I don't know if beige is a choice in appliances anymore, but if it were available and I lived in a log house, that's likely what I'd choose. I'd steer away from black if fingerprints bother you.

For power use (electricity is crazy expensive here), the less than 24 cu ft, freezer on top and ice maker in the freezer was one of the most economical to run refrigerators.

For stoves and ranges, how many BTU's they put out is most important for me, but not all folks put function over form.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:07 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I had Frigidaire appliances in the home I just sold. I had their "Professional" line which is just their name for it, they are not restaurant level appliances, but I was happy with what they looked like and satisfied with how they worked. The (electric) stove needed a replacement burner element at one point, the repairman said it was a random thing but sometimes they crack. The icemaker froze up on me once and needed to be repaired but it was also a minor fix. No other issues in 7 years.

I personally like stainless and do not feel that it gets any more fingerprints or smudges. I actually thought the black glass cooktop (electric range) showed dirt and dust far more than the stainless front so I personally would avoid black, particularly high gloss black.

I looked at the White Ice collection by Whirlpool when shopping for my new house. I think it looks great, but when I saw a piece in the store, the white one had all kinds of dents and scratches where the paint had chipped off. Stainless gets dents too but no paint to chip so they are less noticeable. I was also worried because I had to go to about 5 different stores before finding a White Ice appliance to see in person. I would be hesitant to buy something that is that unpopular because what if one breaks and needed to be replaced and they stopped making that line?

Old 10-02-2014, 11:54 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I looked at the White Ice collection by Whirlpool when shopping for my new house. I think it looks great, but when I saw a piece in the store, the white one had all kinds of dents and scratches where the paint had chipped off. Stainless gets dents too but no paint to chip so they are less noticeable. I was also worried because I had to go to about 5 different stores before finding a White Ice appliance to see in person. I would be hesitant to buy something that is that unpopular because what if one breaks and needed to be replaced and they stopped making that line?
I just replaced our stove with one from the White Ice collection. Both Home Depot and Lowes had them on display.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:10 AM

Any other 30" gas convection slide-in stove anyone likes that hasn't had any problems?

Old 10-04-2014, 02:38 AM

7 posts, read 4,882 times
When I visited my aunt last month, her Samsung gas convection slide-in stove grabs my attention, well it's not 30". I guess, she has been using it for years now and she's satisfied with it. Maybe you could try it.

Old 10-04-2014, 04:00 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy246 View Post
We are trying to decide which appliances to get for our kitchen remodel.
We are looking at lower-mid priced appliances, nothing super expensive.
White. Major brand. Least expensive model offered.

eg: just ordered a new refrigerator...
it's a Frigidaire, it's white, it's basic, it's big enough at 18CF ...all for $500.
Can't beat it.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:39 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I personally like stainless and do not feel that it gets any more fingerprints or smudges. I actually thought the black glass cooktop (electric range) showed dirt and dust far more than the stainless front so I personally would avoid black, particularly high gloss black.
I agree. I understand that some people don't like stainless but I can't imagine anyone being happy with a black cooktop. We have a stainless gas range with a glossy black cooktop that holds and shows every drop, smudge, speck, fingerprint, streak, etc. It performs well and was $$ so unfortunately I'm stuck with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating