Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:11 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times

Advertisements

Having just cleaned out mine after a few years and a move, it seems it, the top of a three drawer table, was the gathering placed for little odds and ends.

Loose change, nuts and bolts, batteries, dog medicines for it was on the bed where I treated her when she was in a cone, spools of thread, gourmet instant coffee Christmas tree decorations, receipts, calling cards, old credit cards, spent brass, loose rounds, safety pins, O rings, an order of Silver Dollars, pocket knife, stamps, pens, pencils, camera filters, 1 dollar bill, tokens, old pet collars, memories such as play and movie tickets, keys, pull chains, thumb drives, leather samples, tools, inoperable watches, and of course.....DUST!

If one is an active cop, it may be the place to keep a gun and one's cuffs.....such as to the embarrassment of the wife of one of my patrolmen when the movers found his spare set of cuffs there.

But now that it is about to be cleaned out, what should be going in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2016, 05:50 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,266,159 times
That reminds me. My second husband use to keep a set of toy handcuffs in a beautiful flowered box on top of the dresser in the guest room. His way of testing who snoops and if so would they ever mention them. Much too conservative to ever use anything like that, just his sense of humor. I suppose they could have come in handy if anyone ever broke in.

What to keep in your drawers depends on what other places you have for such things. I have a sewing box, jewelry chest, a drawer in the sunroom for my dog things, a desk for office stuff, a place for electronic dodads, and keep mechanical things in the garage.

My side table only has two small drawers and contains a mini bible, a small book of inspirations, the credit card I don't use and my check book, petty cash in an envelope. There's a fillet knife in a self sharpening sheath, a mini microscope, flashlight, mirror, tweezers, nail clippers and file, collapsible back scratcher, remote for the ipod player, and remote for the fan. I'm pretty organized except when it comes to the hoard of papers that seems to grow out of nowhere.

Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
1st drawer- toenail clippers, chapstick. Tums, glucose tablets, medicates creams and ointments, foot spray and powder, backscratcher, nose spray, emery boards, blood glucose meter

second drawer- love letters to/from my grandparents, photos, ear buds, night masks, small flashlight, pen and paper for dreams and lists, batteries

3rd drawer- heating pad, vicks vaporub, nyquil, cough medicine, box of kleenex, extension cords, paper back books, 2 bottles of emergency water, thunder shirt for my dog

Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 AM

I suppose it could be my "Nick Knight" drawer, where I drop everything from my pockets, wrist, neck, when I come home.........except the phone for its charger is in the kitchen.

As things go, the drawer did have my handcuff key, a memento from my military police days. I use to carry it on a key ring but when I started doing police research and visiting places where being searched was frequent, I took it off and left it at home lest someone decided to confiscate it. Pity, too, because one night I walked into a party and here was this dude and his girl locked painfully together in cuffs and the hosts had the tool box out in a futile attempt to release them. I just reached into my pocket, pulled by key chain, and was the heroine.

Right now, my bedside table is not by my bedside at all. It was one of the last things moved in and it's by a desk and curio cabinet by the front door. Good for a "Nick Knight" drawer, not so great for being by the bed (a fold out sofa bed on the first floor).

Old 06-12-2016, 08:18 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I keep anything that I might want to access easily and quickly from bed in the top drawer -- antacids, aspirin, band aids, nail file and pen/notepaper (for when I wake up in the middle of the night with an idea about something).

Old 06-12-2016, 09:00 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,633,000 times
My bedside table has a lamp and clock radio on the top.
Drawers hold a few items that are needed without leaving the bed.

Definitely not "the gathering placed for little odds and ends"

Old 06-12-2016, 09:24 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,414,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
My bedside table has a lamp and clock radio on the top.
Drawers hold a few items that are needed without leaving the bed.

Definitely not "the gathering placed for little odds and ends"
Same here (only add ear plugs and a weapon light that fits the 3 main firearms I train with for self defense). If I haven't wanted something while in bed enough times to think about putting that item there the next day then it doesn't belong there, everything has a Dedicated place elsewhere in the home.

But this is a theme for the OP. The living space seems like a disaster of carp Everywhere. I mean, they "lost" a pair of shoes for MONTHS. I honestly picture their place as fitting into the TV show "Hoarders".

Old 06-12-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Same here (only add ear plugs and a weapon light that fits the 3 main firearms I train with for self defense). If I haven't wanted something while in bed enough times to think about putting that item there the next day then it doesn't belong there, everything has a Dedicated place elsewhere in the home.

But this is a theme for the OP. The living space seems like a disaster of carp Everywhere. I mean, they "lost" a pair of shoes for MONTHS. I honestly picture their place as fitting into the TV show "Hoarders".
Oh, be nice!

The move showed me I had too much stuff and I've been slowly sorting and clearing out things as I go along in this temp house.

The drawer this morning was just the latest thing I tackled. As things go, all the batteries in that drawer got tossed without review. I figured if they had been in that drawer since the move, over a year, there was no point in checking them out.

The house is a disaster because I'm sorting and tossing.

Old 06-12-2016, 11:29 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
Only a flashlight and my IPad and charger.

Learn to simplify and stop accumulating clutter. Your lower stress lifestyle will thank you.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:23 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,336,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Only a flashlight and my IPad and charger.

Learn to simplify and stop accumulating clutter. Your lower stress lifestyle will thank you.
Sounds like that is what the OP is doing. Sounds also like they are trying to get ideas of what to put where. Instead of attacking, maybe make suggestions instead?

I keep my night clothes in the middle drawer.

Belts and clutch purses are in the bottom drawer. Misc stuff in the top drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating