Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 10:47 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,224,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
I don't mind stainless and I like the way it looks with brown cabinets, but if I were to design a kitchen from scratch, there wouldn't be any brown and the appliances may or may not be stainless. What I really dislike is how all the kitchens in new homes look the same. Same brown cabinets, same stainless appliances, same granite that you see everywhere. I love looking at real estate sites and some of my favorite homes are from the '80's with homey kitchens and white appliances. Smudges on my own stainless appliances don't bother me but I miss being able to put magnets on my fridge.
The stainless fridge in my last house was the kind that took magnets. The new one doesn't so I had to get one of these. I just got one though, not 4 of them like in the photo.

SPONTAN Magnetic board - IKEA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 10:56 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The stainless fridge in my last house was the kind that took magnets. The new one doesn't so I had to get one of these. I just got one though, not 4 of them like in the photo.

SPONTAN Magnetic board - IKEA
Thanks for the magnetic board idea. I may look into this.

Old 08-10-2016, 01:03 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
I collect magnets and even though my refridge can hold them, I have so many that they won't fit. So, instead of buying something like the thing from IKEA for $12.99, we bought sheets of metal for a few dollars at Home Depot. Same principle but cheaper. If you are really crafty (but I am not), you can even cover the metal sheet in decorative material-as long as the material is thin. Or you can spray paint it if you use a metal paint like Rustoleum.

I am lucky because I have a hallway that has built-in cabinets on one side and a blank wall on the other. I put up 3 of the metal sheets and now that is where my magnet collection is housed. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of it right now.

Cat

Old 08-11-2016, 01:22 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I think what I don't like about some things is the SAMENESS of the décor. There are a few things I flat out don't care for but most styles and colors can look good when they aren't overdone. Some people "theme decorate" and I don't care for that. Simple things to me are best and if there is a color or design element sprinkled here or there it usually looks ok to me.

So funny how people are hating on grey. I didn't like it after having light grey carpets in my house when I bought it 25 years ago. I replaced it with beige after awhile but now I'm bored of beige! I love the pale grey walls/white trim look when paired with furniture with color. Most of the designer looks just stick with various shades of one color and I think that's dull, but it's just a neutral background for so many things.

I chose to install an oak kitchen with beige corian and black appliances 15 years back and it still looks fresh and modern. I don't like backsplashes of any sort, just the 4" border all around and painted walls. Didn't used to like white kitchens but I do now.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:17 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I only have a few (small) stainless appliances and they show fingerprints (they're actually pretty awful when it comes to this). When I was shopping for the refrigerator I bought a couple of years ago - I gave the stainless models the "fingerprint" test. Some were better than others in terms of resisting fingerprints - but none was perfect. The ones that were the best really didn't look like metal at all. It's kind of hard to explain - but they looked more like stainless colored plastic than metal.

I think one issue that enters into this apart from personal preferences is matching appliances when you start having to replace them. Because they usually have to be replaced at different times. I think white is easier to match than stainless. Especially because stainless finishes tend to change over the years.

FWIW - I agree with you about black - especially if you're talking about a glossy black and dust. Robyn
Just for information only:

My SS appliances are fingerprint resistant (though they don't look or feel like plastic). It's a particular type of finish that I've had no problem matching up, even though I buy different appliances at different times. Also, get this - you would not believe what works GREAT on SS - leather cleaner! I promise. Not only does it make them shine with a rich luster, it further reduces the possibility of fingerprints. I've had SS appliances for at least the last 20 years and I simply haven't had a problem with fingerprints at all. Not even on my smaller appliances.

My fridge SS must be titanium actually because it NEVER seems to show dirt or smudges. And that's the appliance we touch and grab and fiddle with the most. Go figger.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:24 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Really? Does my tiny little kitchen look like a science lab?

I like stainless vs white, as it picks up by reflection the color tones in the kitchen.
Nice kitchen.

I agree totally about the SS. It is not sterile at all. In fact, in some kitchens it has a soft glow because like you said, it gently reflects the tones in whatever kitchen it's in.

Here's my kitchen - I don't think it looks like a science lab either. And by the way, notice my fridge - it has magnets on it - LOL!

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 02-07-2020 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2016, 07:29 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,422,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nice kitchen.

Here's my kitchen - I don't think it looks like a science lab either. And by the way, notice my fridge - it has magnets on it - LOL!
I LOVE your kitchen! So homey and welcoming

Old 08-12-2016, 08:04 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Nice kitchen.

I agree totally about the SS. It is not sterile at all. In fact, in some kitchens it has a soft glow because like you said, it gently reflects the tones in whatever kitchen it's in.

I love your kitchen also,

and while i hate ALL refridgerators, (including mine) because in my mind they are all just ugly, yours is barley even noticibile because of its placement in the kitchen and that to me is a big plus!!!!!

mine is also in a corner so when you first walk into my kitchen you would have to do a "Exorcist" type of head turn to see it.....unfortunetley when i sit at my table, i do have to see it

Old 08-12-2016, 03:04 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,798,224 times
Lately I'm seeing this trend where people cover their windows with shades and add curtains over them. Why the deep cover? Are you a spy? It's a very cluttered, fussy and dusty look.

I prefer shades or blinds instead of curtains anyway.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Lately I'm seeing this trend where people cover their windows with shades and add curtains over them. Why the deep cover? Are you a spy? It's a very cluttered, fussy and dusty look.

I prefer shades or blinds instead of curtains anyway.
I think the shades or blinds without curtains or drapes, is the trend now. I agree about so many layers on windows.

But, it will all come back in style eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating