Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:17 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times

Advertisements

Has the home owner asked you to provide decorative items? If so - have you considered the home owner's personal taste and preferences before suggesting the Pier One bowls?

Personally - the Pier One bowls are CC as in cheap and cheesy. The candle sticks seems to be nice pieces but too ornate for me.

When it comes to "dustables" quality is a must.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
I don't care much for them either. It reminds me of French Provincial bedroom furniture, which I can't stand. However, one of these would look nice on a French Provincial dresser or table, if that is your taste.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:17 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,770,618 times
I could see something like this in my 90 year Great Aunt's house if she were still alive.

As for me, nope. It would be something I'd have to dust, and besides, the cats would very likely knock it off the table anyway.

It's most definitely NOT "rustic". Nor modern.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:30 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Just to show how subjective taste is . . .

I know someone who's been working on a house they moved into a few years ago. They are mostly finished, but still tweaking small things. So, I e-mailed some coffee table accessory ideas that I knew would fit in with the look they have going on. They like a modern/rustic vibe.

Found these at Pier One. They look very similar to stainless steel/brass items that go for hundreds at Neiman Marcus or Horchow. Pier One really stepped up their game with these and they are a bargain in comparison.

Branch Handle Oval Decorative Bowl | Pier 1 Imports

Branch Handle Square Decorative Bowl | Pier 1 Imports

The response was "The branch handle things are the worst."

Not even a neutral "Meh". Nope. They are "The Worst".

In what universe are these the worst things you've ever seen?

Maybe I shouldn't be so surprised because this person hates almost everything, except a very very very narrow range of decor. You can show them something simple and classic and they will still think it's "weird". They think everything is weird. But I didn't think these were in the least objectionable.
Yikes. Pretty gaudy, to me. Being expensive doesn't always mean they're in good taste.

So I guess in my universe they're close to the worst.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Explain why a tray with maple leaf branch handles is "ugly".

I await enlightenment.
Color (that color is sooooooo last decade).

Style. Just so much wrong.

So you only like it because it's maple leaves?

Old 07-11-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Well, the person knows me well enough that they thought they could get away with saying it like that. They did put in an "LOL", but yeah, they meant what they said.
Maybe that's the only way they could get you to not hound them, and try to convince them that YOUR taste is right, and their's is wrong. Just sayin'.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:44 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I too am curious why OP took it upon himself/herself to provide them w/links to items for their own home.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:25 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,411,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post

I too am curious why OP took it upon himself/herself to provide them w/links to items for their own home.
Why are you curious?

I "took it upon myself" because we trade ideas back and forth all the time.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

Maybe that's the only way they could get you to not hound them, and try to convince them that YOUR taste is right, and their's is wrong. Just sayin'.
MAYBE you don't know what you're talking about. We trade ideas back and forth all the time.

They are not "hounded". I did not try to convince them they were wrong.

Don't read into a situation more than what's there. It's not that complicated.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post

OP says her friends' taste is 'modern/rustic'. These gold leaf dishes appear almost Baroque or Regency??

As for the OP, IMHO NEVER purchase or suggest certain items for others unless you know EXACTLY what they want. Ex. perfume, home decor, would be things to steer clear of.
I don't see anything Baroque or Regency there.

We trade ideas back and forth all the time. Actually, she has taken a lot of my suggestions in the past, even though she has a narrow range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating